LA MIRADA >> Officials Friday released the identity of a 61-year-old man found dead from an apparent suicide after a SWAT team surrounded his La Mirada home for five hours on Wednesday.
Dennis Solis died at the scene of the standoff, which came to an end about 10:30 p.m. Wednesday at a house in the 12000 block of Los Coyotes Avenue, Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said.
Solis was believed to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials. An autopsy was yet to be carried out Friday.
Deputies responded to the home shortly before 5:30 p.m. after family members reported he was suicidal and armed with a rifle, Lt. Robin Limon of the sheriff’s Norwalk Station said. The family members got out of the home unharmed.
After hearing gunshots, deputies summoned a SWAT team to take over the situation. After about five hours, sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau deputies forced their way into the home and found Solis dead.
LA MIRADA >> A sheriff’s SWAT team found a man dead from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot late Wednesday following a five-hour standoff at a La Mirada home, authorities said.
The incident began about 5:20 p.m. at a home in the 12000 block of Los Coyotes Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said.
Family members called 9-1-1 a little more than an hour earlier to report the man was suicidal and armed with a rifle, Lt. Robin Limon of the sheriff’s Norwalk Station said.
Responding deputies heard the sounds of gunshots emanating from within the home, she said. The man’s wife and son had gotten out unharmed.
The sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau, or SWAT team, was called to the scene, along with crisis negotiators. Authorities evacuated nearby homes as they continued trying to communicate with the man.
“Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Crisis Negotiations Team made numerous attempts to bring about a peaceful resolution tonight in La Mirada, however contact with the armed barricaded suspect was unsuccessful,” Deputy Trina Schrader of the sheriff’s Information Bureau said in a written statement. “Special Enforcement Bureau deputies made entry into the location and found a male adult inside deceased.”
The investigation was turned over to detectives from the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau.
PASADENA >> A Pasadena SWAT standoff ended Wednesday when a wanted suspect was taken into custody after more than two hours, officials said.
The incident came to an end about 1:20 p.m. when the man surrendered to police at his home in the 400 block of North Raymond Avenue, Pasadena police Lt. Kelly Evans said.
The stand-off began about 11 a.m. when officers spotted Daylon Camp, 21, of Pasadena, who was wanted on a burglary warrant, the lieutenant said.
As gang officers approached, he ran into his father’s home, police said.
“He didn’t respond to officers commands to come out,” he said.
A SWAT team responded to the scene and surrounded the home, Evans said. About two hours later, Camp surrendered without further resistance.
The barricade situation unfolded at the same time as a manhunt for a shooter or shooters involved in a mass shooting the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, leading to wide, incorrect speculation the incidents were linked.
“Broadcast news erroneously reported the Raymond Avenue suspect was connected with an active shooter incident in San Bernardino,” Police Chief Phillip Sanchez said. “The two incidents are not connected.”
LA PUENTE >> A domestic violence suspect fatally shot himself at the conclusion of a 12-hour standoff with deputies at a La Puente condominium Sunday, officials said.
The incident began about 12:25 a.m. when deputies responded to a report of domestic violence in the 900 block of Willow Avenue, near Amar Road, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Rick Thurlo said.
Deputies encountered a woman suffering from apparently minor injuries to her face who told them she had been assaulted by her husband, the sergeant said.
The husband remained in the home and refused to come out, Thurlo said. The woman advised deputies the man was “heavily intoxicated” and had a rifle.
A short time later, “Deputies saw him in the garage with what appeared to be a rifle,” Thurlo said.
Nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution, and a SWAT team was summoned to the scene to take over the situation.
After attempts to order the man out of the home via telephone and loudspeakers were unsuccessful, SWAT deputies launched tear gas into the garage shortly after 10 a.m. in an attempt to flush the suspect out, officials said.
SWAT team members heard a gunshot as they forced their way into the home about 12:35 p.m., Thurlo said. They then found the suspect inside the home, dead from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was estimated to be in his 60s.
Detectives from the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau took over the investigation.
ARCADIA >> A man kidnapped a woman early Wednesday and held her hostage for 11 hours while sexually assaulting her before deputies freed the woman and ultimately arrested the suspect, officials said.
Philippe Lutete, 29, was jailed on suspicion on suspicion of kidnapping and rape, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s Deputy Trina Schrader.
The incident began about 3 a.m. when Lutete abducted the victim, a 25-year-old woman, as she walked in the area of Longden Avenue and Peck Road, Schrader said.
“The suspect grabbed and carried the victim into his car,” Schrader said in a written statement. “He drove the victim to his home where he continuously sexually assaulted her.”
The woman remained a captive for 11 hours, until she managed to briefly flee from her attacker’s home om the 2800 block of Ashmont Avenue about 2 p.m., officials said.
“The victim managed to escape and briefly speak to a neighbor when the suspect dragged her back into his home,” Schrader said. The neighbor notified deputies.
“When the deputies arrived at the home on a disturbance call, the suspect fled the location through a side window.”
Paramedics took the woman to a hospital for treatment and examination, Lt. Loy McBride said.
Deputies summoned a SWAT team to assist them as they searched the area for the kidnapper,Sgt. Julie Geary said. The search perimeter extended south to Live Oak Avenue and east to Peck Road.
Authorities called off the search about 5 p.m., but resumed several hours later after the suspect was again spotted.
Deputies found Lutete hiding nearby on Mayflower Avenue about 9 p.m., sheriff’s officials said. He was arrested without a struggle.
Wednesday was not the first time Lutete’s was accused of a similar crime, officials said.
“The suspect is currently out on bond with a past similar arrest,” Schrader said.
Local deputies turned over the investigation to detectives from the Sheriff’s Special Victims Bureau, which investigates sex crimes.
SOUTH WHITTIER >> A SWAT team forced their way into a South Whittier apartment in search of a wanted parolee late Friday, but did not find the man, officials said.
Deputies patrolling about 7 p.m. in the 11900 block of Inez Avenue in the unincorporated county area of South Whittier spotted a man in his mid-30s who was wanted for violating his parole, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said. The man bolted from deputies as they approached him, running into a nearby apartment.
The deputies followed and got the resident’s permission to search the apartment, Lt. Daniel Gillespie said. The deputies cleared all but one room of the apartment, in which the suspect was believed to be hiding.
The Sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau, or SWAT team, responded to deal with the possibly holed-up suspect, the lieutenant said.
The SWAT deputies deployed a flash-bang grenade and forced their way into the room about 11 p.m., he said. But the suspect was not inside.
PHOTO: Courtesy, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
ROWLAND HEIGHTS >> Deputies surrounded a home after a man armed with a crossbow holed-up inside for more than four hours before ultimately surrendering, officials said.
The incident began just before 10 a.m. with a report of a fight between a father and son in the 18000 block of Mescal Street, Sgt. Pauline Panis of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Information Bureau said.
When deputies arrived, the son — initially described only as a man — retreated into the home and displayed a crossbow to deputies, Panis said.
It was not believed they he had fired the weapon at anyone. In a written statement, sheriff’s officials described the holed-up man as a suspect involved in an assault with a deadly weapon involving a crossbow, though further details of the alleged assault were not available.
Deputies summoned a sheriff’s SWAT team to the home to take over the stand-off, officials said.
“The suspect is believed to be the sole occupant in the residence,” sheriff’s officials said in a written statement. “For the safety of the public, surrounding homes in the area have been evacuated.”
After slightly more than four hours, officials persuaded the suspect to exit the home and surrender about 2:05 p.m., deputy Amber Smith of the Sheriff’s Information Bureau said. The crossbow was recovered.
The suspect’s identity was not immediately available, nor were the charges he was expected to be booked for.
Officials at the sheriff’s Walnut-Diamond Bar Station declined to comment, referring all inquiries to the Sheriff’s Information Bureau.
No further details were released.
PICO RIVERA >> Deputies subdued and arrested a psychologically troubled man following a six-hour standoff early Saturday after he shot passers-by with a crossbow in Pico Rivera, authorities said.
A SWAT team ultimately arrested Armando Marron, 48, of Pico Rivera on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and drug possession, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Alex Villanueva said.
Deputies first responded about 10:45 p.m. Friday to reports of an assault in the 8500 block of Hasty Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Scott Chapman said.
They encountered a 23-year-old Pico Rivera man who had been shot in the leg with a crossbow, Villanueva said. The victim was accompanied by a second young man who was not injured.
Marron also allegedly fired his crossbow at another nearby home with people gathered in the front yard, the lieutenant said. No one in the yard was struck.
No argument or exchange of words preceded the seemingly unprovoked attack, sheriff’s officials said. The wounded man and his companion were merely passing by when the attack occurred. At least one of the young men was riding a skateboard.
Paramedics treated the wounded man at the scene and removed the arrow from his leg, Chapman said. He declined to be taken to a hospital.
Deputies learned the attacker was inside his nearby home, Chapman said. Deputies ordered the occupants out of the house.
Two relatives of the suspect emerged from the home and told deputies that Marron was still inside, Chapman said. The relatives also told officials that the man had a history of psychological problems, off his medication and potentially violent.
A SWAT team was summoned to take over the situation, and a stand-off ensued for about six hours, officials said.
Deputies fired tear gas into the home about 5 a.m., and the suspect ultimately came out, Chapman said. But he continued refusing to surrender.
Officials used a less-lethal projectile and a K-9 to subdue the man, who was taken to a hospital for treatment prior to booking, Chapman said.
Deputies recovered a crossbow, arrows and a small amount of a substance believed to be methamphetamine from the suspect’s home, Chapman said.
Deputies have had more than a dozen past encounters with Marron in connection with calls such as disturbances, officials said.
According to county booking records, Marron was being held in lieu of $30,000 bail pending a scheduled arraignment Tuesday in Downey Superior Court.
PHOTO courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Special Enforcement Bureau.
WEST COVINA >> Dozens of San Gabriel Valley first responders took part in a large-scale active shooter training scenario simulating a terrorist attack on a West Covina shopping mall Sunday.
Six local law enforcement agencies, federal officials and firefighters took part in the mock terror attack at the Plaza West Covina shopping mall, which was held early in the morning, before mall business opened for the day.
“We take the safety of our visitors and our residents very seriously,” West Covina Police Chief David Faulkner said. “There have been several incidents that have happened on the east coast — one happened last week — that certainly have raised our awareness that we need to be prepared. And in my view, we need to be ready for something and hope it never happens, (rather) than to respond to something we weren’t prepared for.”
A blast from a flash-bang grenade intended to simulate a bomb detonation signalled the beginning of the intensive drill at the mall, where three West Covina police officers played the role of heavily armed gunmen bent on creating carnage. Within minutes, the sounds of simulated gunshots echoed through the mall as police engaged the mock terrorists in a gunfight.
Two of the pseudo suspects carried assault rifles, while the third carried a shotgun.
Participating first responders were not told ahead of time what they would be facing in the drill, West Covina police Cpl. Rudy Lopez explained.
“Each officer involved in this has to determine how to best handle the situation,” he said.
Police simultaneously hunted for the gunmen and rescued mock victims who wore makeup to simulate injuries. Some officers carried their standard duty sidearms, while others were armed with rifles.
Patrol officers called in a SWAT team after the attack turned into a hostage situation.
Practicing a technique known as “fast-roping,” West Covina police SWAT members slid down a rope from a hovering Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department helicopter to join in the operation.
The West Covina Police Department’s recently acquired rescue vehicle, a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle acquired from the U.S. Department of Defense, was used to evacuate victims.
After a scenario that lasted about an hour, the three suspects had been killed in shoot-outs with officers. Three civilians had also been killed during the scenario, and many more wounded.
Police officers from West Covina, Covina, Baldwin Park and Irwindale police departments were joined by California Highway Patrol officers, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials, FBI agents, West Covina firefighters and mall security officials in responding to the mock attack, Lopez said. While West Covina has hosted similar training scenarios in the past, Sunday’s training session was their biggest.
About 75 law enforcement officers participated, along with about 60 volunteers playing the part of victims or bystanders, officials said. The volunteers were primarily police Explorers from the West Covina, Glendora and Ontario police departments.
“Whether this incident happens in West Covina, or happens in Irwindale or Covina, we’re familiar with working with each others’ team,” the chief said. “We might be in different uniforms, but in the end, we’re all in one uniform when it comes time to deal with a critical incident.”
After watching the exercise unfold at the mall, West Covina City Councilman Fred Sykes said he approved.
“A place this large, it’s unfathomable for us not to look at what to do in this type of situation,” he said.
The costs and planning associated with massive drill is a wise investment, as it may help save lives down the road, Sykes said.
“This is extremely important for our community,” the councilman said.
Just like in sports, he added, “The battles are won in practice.”
A SWAT team used tear gas early Friday to end a six-hour standoff at a South Whittier home with a man brandishing what ultimately turned out to be a pellet gun, authorities said.
Adam William Samarin, 23, was booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon after he was taken into custody shortly before 3 a.m. at his home in the 9200 block of Laurel Avenue, just north of Mulberry Drive, in an unincorporated county area just south of Whittier, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials and county booking records.
Deputies responded to a report of a family disturbance involving an armed man about 8:45 p.m. Thursday, sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
Samarin had become involved in an argument with his mother, who left the home when he retrieved what appeared to be a rifle, Lt. Eric Smitson said.
Samarin, who was alone at the home when deputies arrived, pointed the rifle at deputies on the ground as well as deputies hovering above in a helicopter before holing up inside the home and refusing orders to come out.
The Sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau, or SWAT team, responded to the scene, as well as a sheriff’s K-9 and a crisis negotiator, officials said.
Deputies evacuated neighboring homes and advised others nearby via helicopter loudspeaker to stay inside and lock their doors.
Deputies fired tear gas into the home shortly before 3 a.m., prompting Samarin to jump or fall out a window of the home, Smitson said. He was taken into custody with the help of the K-9.
A pellet rifle and an “airsoft” gun designed to shoot larger, plastic BBs was recovered from the home, Smitson said.
Samarin was treated for dog bites and injuries he suffered while tumbling out of the window before being booked into jail, officials said.
According to county booking records, Samarin was being held in lieu of $100,000 bail pending his initial court appearance, scheduled Tuesday in Downey Superior Court.
– Jason Henry and Brian Day