BALDWIN PARK >> A man was hospitalized in critical condition and a woman was behind bars after a family dispute escalated into a stabbing early Saturday, police said.
The violence took place about 12:40 a.m. at a home in the 14300 block of Cavell Place, Baldwin Park police Lt. Mark Adams said in a written statement.
Police first received a report of a “family disturbance,” he said.
“Upon their arrival, they discovered a male adult inside the residence suffering from several stab wounds,” Adams.
Paramedics took the badly injured man to a trauma center, where he underwent emergency surgery. He was listed in critical but stable condition.
Police arrested Nydessa Hooper, 26, of Baldwin Park on suspicion of attempted murder, according to Sgt. Joshua Hendricks said.
The relationship between Hooper and the victim was not available Saturday afternoon, nor were further details regarding the circumstances of the stabbing.
According to county booking records, Hooper was being held in lieu of $2 million bail pending her initial court appearance, scheduled Tuesday in the Pomona branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court.
Authorities are seeking two teenage boys who escaped from a juvenile probation fire camp in the forest north of La Verne on Saturday morning.
The two 16-year-old boys went missing shortly before noon from Camp Afflerbaugh, 6631 Stephens Ranch Road, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Thomas Reid. They were believed to have walked away from the lockdown facility, which houses juvenile offenders and teaches them wildland firefighting skills.
Sheriff’s deputies joined county probation officers to search the numerous nearby trails for the escaped boys, but they had not been found Saturday afternoon, Smith said.
Authorities have identified a man who was found dead inside a car in West Covina following a shooting in Whittier on Friday morning.
Austin Louis Jimenez, 28, of Rancho Cucamonga was pronounced dead shortly after 4 a.m. in a shopping center parking lot at Workman Avenue and Citrus Street, Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner Lt. David Smith said.
He was wounded in a 3:15 a.m. shooting at Penn Street and Newlin Avenue in Whittier before being driven to the parking lot by at least two companions, according to Whittier police Lt. Bryan Ellis. The driver and fellow passenger of the car, which had been struck by bullets, then drove to West Covina and called for help.
Paramedics were unable to revive the Jimenez and pronounced him dead at the scene, officials said.
No further information regarding the circumstances of the shooting, including a suspect description, have been released.
Anyone with information can reach Whittier police at 562-567-9200. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
Police are seeking a portly predator who attempted rob a woman inside her Arcadia home early Friday , then carjacked another woman nearby, authorities said.
The crimes unfolded about 8:30 a.m. in a residential neighborhood in the 2300 block of South Second Avenue, Arcadia police officials said. The man gestured as if he had a gun, though none was seen.
“The suspect entered the victim’s residence (on) Second Avenue and demanded property,” Sgt. Dan Crowther said in a written statement. But he ultimately fled empty-handed.
He left the home and approached a woman sitting in her car outside, police said.
“The suspect simulated he had a weapon and demanded the victim’s vehicle,” according to Crowther. “The victim complied and the suspect drove away from the location.”
Neither victim was hurt.
The carjacker was initially described only as a “heavyset” Latino man, Crowther added.
The carjacked vehicle, a white 2015 Toyota RAV4 with a California license plate of 7RED948, was yet to be found Saturday morning, Lt. Tom Cullen said.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Arcadia police at 626-574-5151. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
A man suffered major injuries, but is expected to survive, after he jumped from a parking structure in Pasadena on Friday afternoon, police said.
The suicide attempt was reported about 3:15 p.m. in the 100 block of East Holly Street, Pasadena police Lt. William Grisafe said.
Police received a call reporting a man had fallen from the second floor of a parking structure, he said.
Officers soon learned that the 21-year-old Pasadena man had jumped from the structure in an attempt to end his life, according to the lieutenant.
He was hospitalized with injuries described as major, but not believed to be life-threatening.
LA CRESCENTA >> A drug overdose is suspected in the death of a 35-year-old man found unresponsive inside a La Cresenta home on Friday, authorities said.
Deputies received a call about 7:05 am. reporting a man not breathing in the 3000 block of Alabama Street, Deputy Lisa Jansen of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Information Bureau said in a written statement.
“When deputies arrived at the location, they found a male white adult, 35 years-old, who appeared to be suffering from an apparent overdose of an illicit narcotic substance,” she said.
Deputies performed CPR on the man and administered Narcan anti-overdose spray before paramedics arrived on scene and took over treatment, according to Jansen.
But the man could not be saved, and paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.
No foul play was initially suspected. An autopsy is to be conducted by the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner.
In an effort to curb overdose-related deaths, the sheriff’s department began distributing Narcan nasal spray to deputies in June. The drug is intended to counteract the potentially deadly effects of opioid overdose.
Under the pilot program, more than 1,200 doses of the drug are being carried by deputies assigned to the Crescenta Valle, East Los Angeles and Santa Clarita Valley stations, as well as the Community Colleges and Parks bureaus.
Several other area law enforcement agencies have also equipped officers with Narcan.
A man opened fire on sheriff’s deputies through the front door of his mobile home after he called them to report an argument between himself and a neighbor in the unincorporated county area of East Valinda early Friday, authorities said.
Deputies returned fire, but ultimately took the suspect into custody without injuries to anyone, according to Deputy Joana Warren of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Information Bureau.
The incident began as a reported argument between neighbors revolving around a plant along Temple Avenue, just east of Azusa Avenue, the deputy said.
The suspect himself called deputies, then ambushed them when they responded to his call for help.
“During their approach at the informant’s residence, the suspect opened fire through a door,” Warren said in a written statement. “ A deputy returned fire as he retreated back towards a vehicle for safety.”
Neither the suspect nor the deputies were struck by the gunfire.
Deputies ordered the shooter to exit the mobile home and surrender, and he complied, officials said. He was taken into custody without further struggle.
Officials recovered a handgun and a shotgun from the man’s mobile home, Warren said. It was unclear which weapon he allegedly fired at deputies.
The suspect’s name was not released Friday afternoon as detectives continued their investigation, Warren said. He was described as a man in his 50s.
He was booked on suspicion of attempted murder and was being held in lieu of $1 million bail pending his initial court appearance, she said.
Detectives from the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau , which routinely investigated deputy-involved shootings, are spearheading the investigation.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500.
PHOTO – Courtesy
An 80-year-old Baldwin Park woman with Alzheimer’s who disappeared more than a week ago during a routine trip to the park was found Friday afternoon at a Los Angeles hospital, police said.
Shirley Tsung was last seen about 10 a.m. Aug. 31 when she took a bus to Morgan Park, 4100 Baldwin Park Blvd., as she often does, according to Baldwin Park police officials and family members.
Tsung spoke with family by phone and told them she was preparing to head home via the bus, according to Baldwin Park police Sgt. Andy Velebil. Then she disappeared.
It was unclear if Tsung ever boarded a bus for her return trip, said her nephew Tom Wang. She usually takes Foothill Transit route 190, and was planning to meet a friend at home for lunch.
“There have been no good leads at this point,” he said Friday morning, shortly before Tsung was found. “We are getting very desperate.”
Family members passed out fliers and talked with residents who live near the park, Wang said. One neighbor said that Tsung may have gotten into a gray sedan.
But the search concluded Friday afternoon, Velebil said. The woman turned up at a hospital in Los Angeles, where she was listed under a different name.
A man was found dead inside a car in West Covina parking lot following an early-morning shooting in Whittier on Friday, authorities said.
Police in Whittier first responded to reports of gunfire about 3:15 a.m. in the area of Penn Street and Newlin Avenue, Whittier police officials said in a written statement. But officers found no physical evidence of a shooting.
That changed shortly after 4 a.m., when officials in West Covina received reports of a shooting victim found inside a vehicle in the parking lot of a shopping center at the southwest corner of Workman Avenue and Citrus Street, Whittier and West Covina police officials said.
“Upon arrival, officers discovered a deceased male adult, West Covina police said in a written statement.
The mortally wounded man was a passenger in the bullet-pierced car, which also contained at least two other young men, officials said.
Further investigation revealed the victim in West Covina had been wounded in the Whittier shooting, officials said.
His identity was not available Friday pending notification of his family, Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner Assistant Chief of Operation said. He was estimated to be in his 20s.
Police summoned a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Special Enforcement Bureau SWAT team after receiving information that the shooter may have gone into a nearby barbershop at Penn Street and Comstock Avenue, according to Whittier police Lt. Bryan Ellis.
The SWAT team searched the building but did not find the culprit, he said.
No further details, including a motive or description of the shooter, were available as the investigation continued Friday afternoon. Anyone with information can reach Whittier police at 562-567-9200. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
PHOTO courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
Investigators in the San Gabriel Valley jailed a Fontana man Thursday on suspicion of carrying out an “elaborate scheme” to steal the homes of the elderly and families of recently deceased people, authorities said.
Detectives from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’ Department’s Fraud and Cyber Crimes Detail, Real Estate Fraud Unit, arrested Vo Hoang Ho, 38, about 6:30 a.m., according to sheriff’s officials and booking records. Officials described Ho as a Fontana resident, though public records also indicate a recent address in West Covina.
The arrest stems from a warrant issued by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office on Sept. 1, Deputy Ryan Rouzan of the sheriff’s Information Bureau sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
Ho carried out the fraud over the past three months, at least, officials said.
“The scheme was perpetrated by way of the suspect committing identity theft on either the deceased owners of the property or living elderly victims, forging the victims’ names on various fraudulent real estate documents, and having those documents recorded at the Los Angeles County Recorder’s office,” Rouzan said. He offered the properties for sale to victim investors who had no idea about the fraud.
It was unclear Thursday how many alleged victims were involved,or how much property Ho is alleged to have swindled in the alleged con, which Rouzan described as “elaborate.”
Fraud investigators advised homeowners to periodically check their properties’ history for accuracy. “If discrepancies are noticed in the title chain, contact a real estate professional for advice,” according to Rouzan. If something suspicious is seen, homeowners are advised to contact their local law enforcement agencies.
“Los Angeles County residents should also be aware that every time a real estate document gets recorded with the Los Angeles County Recorder’s office a notice gets sent to the property owner advising them of such,” Rouzan added. “This service is provided to make home owners aware that activity is taking place with their property.”
According to booking records, Ho was being held in lieu of $1.15 million bail pending his initial court appearance.
Anyone with information can reach Sgt. Alex Gilinets of the Real Estate Fraud Unit at 562-946-8250. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.