Man in ‘Jason’ mask robs West Covina restaurant

WEST COVINA >> A gunman wearing a Halloween mask carried out an armed robbery at a West Covina Chinese food restaurant, police said.
The heist took place shortly after 2 p.m. at the Silver Dragon Restaurant at the Plaza West Covina shopping mall, 1129 West Covina Parkway, West Covina police Lt. David Lee said.
A robber entered the store, brandished a handgun and demanded money from the cash register, he said. He fled with between $100 and $200.
The gunman wore a white, plastic Halloween mask similar to that of “Jason” in the “Friday the 13th” horror movie series.
He was in his late-30s to early-40s, heavy set, about 6 feet tall, with a tattoo on the right side of his neck.
Anyone with information can reach the West Covina Police Department at 626-939-8500, or the department’s 24-hour tip hotline at 626-939-8688.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Woman and daughter wounded in West Covina stabbing, suspect surrenders

WEST COVINA >> A man stabbed a woman and her adult daughter in West Covina before turning himself in to authorities in East Los Angeles late Thursday, police said.
Eduardo Marin, 46, of East Los Angeles was arrested following the double stabbing at a home in the 3100 block of South Adrienne Drive, West Covina police Lt. David Lee said.
A woman in her 40s, with whom Marine had previously had a relationship, was hospitalized in critical condition but expected to survive after undergoing surgery, he said. Her daughter, a woman in her 20s, suffered injuries not believed to be life-threatening.
Marin showed up at the victims’ home about 9 p.m. and became involved in argument, according to the lieutenant.
“Some type of argument ensued,” he said. “He stabbed the mother and daughter.”
Marin fled from the crime scene on a motorcycle but soon turned himself in to the deputies at the Los Angeles County sheriff’s East Los Angeles Station, Lee said.
He was expected to be booked on suspicion of attempted murder.
Authorities cordoned off the neighborhood as detectives and crime scene investigators scoured the scene for evidence.
Lee said the knife believed to have been used in the stabbing was recovered at the scene.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Man struck my minivan along Colima Road in Whittier

WHITTIER >> Rescuers flew a badly injured man to a trauma center after he was struck by a minivan after running into traffic along Colima Road in Whittier on Thursday afternoon, police said.
The collision took place about 3:45 p.m. along Colima Road, just north of Mar Vista Street, Whittier police Lt. Bryan Ellis said.
Witnesses reported the man, estimated to be in his mid-20s, ran into traffic before being struck by a Honda minivan, the lieutenant said.
Paramedics took the injured man to a nearby baseball diamond, where they landed a helicopter to rush the patient to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, Ellis said.
He remained hospitalized in critical condition with major head injuries Thursday night, Officer John Scoggins said.
The driver of the minivan remained at the scene and was cooperating with police, Ellis said.
The minivan was heading south, down a steep hill, when it struck the pedestrian, police said. There was no crosswalk at the collision site.
It was unclear why the man ran into traffic lanes, officials said.
Police shut down Colima Road as they investigated the scene. The road was expected to reopen late Thursday afternoon.
No further details were available.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man sentenced for Monterey Park pizza parlor murder

MONTEREY PARK >> A Bakersfield man received a sentence of more than 16 years in state prison Thursday for stabbing another man 15 times, killing, at a Monterey Park pizza parlor four years ago, officials said.
A Los Angeles Superior Court jury in Burbank convicted Jose De Jesus Ruiz, also known as Jose De Jesus Salas, 26, in July of second-degree murder for the Oct. 6, 2012, stabbing death of 25-year-old Patrick Raymond Ortega at Shakey’s, 1955 S. Atlantic Blvd. The jury also found true the special allegation that Ruiz personally used a knife in the crime.
Judge Michael Carter sentenced Ruiz to 16 years to life in state prison, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said.
The stabbing took place shortly after 7 p.m. as Ruiz was gathered at the restaurant with members of a youth football organization.
He became involved in a dispute with Ortega, who witnesses testified was being “disruptive” inside the pizza parlor while dining with friends, according to Deputy District Attorney Theodore Swanson, who prosecuted the case.
Ruiz briefly left the restaurant before returning and stabbing Ortega 15 times, Swanson said.
Ruiz was found hiding in his car several hours later and arrested, officials said. .
Second-degree murder is defined in California as the unlawful killing of another with malice, but without deliberation or premeditation.
If convicted of first-degree murder — a murder deemed deliberate, premeditated and with malice — Ruiz could have faced a maximum sentence of 26 years to life behind bars.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man robs teenage girl of soft drink at knifepoint in Pasadena

PASADENA >> Police are seeking a man who they say robbed a teenage girl of a bottle of soda at knifepoint on Wednesday afternoon.
The crime took place about 5 p.m. at Lincoln Avenue and Orange Grove Boulevard, Pasadena police Lt. John Luna said.
The robber approached a teenage girl, grabber by the arm, brandished a knife and demanded her cell phone, Luna said.
When the girl refused to turn over her phone, the robber snatched a bottle of soda she was holding and ran away, according to the lieutenant.
He was last seen running west along Orange Grove Boulevard. The girl was not injured.
Police described the robber as a white or Latino man in his late-teens, about 5 feet 2 inches tall, of thin build, wearing a T-shirt, jeans and tennis shoes.
Anyone with information can reach Pasadena police at 626-744-4241.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Rowland Heights woman guilty of manslaughter for fatal scissor attack

ROWLAND HEIGHTS >> A Rowland Heights woman is expected to receive a 12-year prison sentence next month after pleading “no contest” Wednesday to a manslaughter charge for stabbing her brother’s girlfriend to death with a pair of scissors last year, authorities said.
Lisette Kimberly Moreno, 20, pleaded “no contest” to a charge of voluntary manslaughter for the fatal Aug. 16, 2015, stabbing of Annette Martinez, 21, of Rowland Heights, Los Angeles County District attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
In addition the manslaughter charge, Moreno also admitted to the special allegation that she personally used a weapon, scissors, in the killing.
Following the negotiated plea arrangement, Moreno is expected to receive 12 years in state prison when she returns to the Pomona branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court for sentencing on Nov. 29, according to the statement. Moreno was first charged with murder following her arrest.
If convicted of murder at trial, she could have faced a potential maximum sentence of more than 25 years to life in prison.
Moreno became involved in an argument with Martinez about 2 a.m. as they were at the home of Martinez’s boyfriend’s family in the 1900 block of Batson Avenue.
Information regarding what the dispute was over was not available.
Martinez left behind a then-6-month-old daughter and a then-18-monthold son, family members said.


PHOTO [TOP] – of Lisette Moreno, 21, of Rowland Heights (Courtesy) [BELOW] – Annette Martinez, 21, of Rowland Heights (Courtesy)

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

West Covina man convicted of manslaughter for fatal stabbing of father


WEST COVINA >> A 21-year-old man pleaded “no contest” to involuntary manslaughter on Wednesday for the fatal stabbing of his father during a fight at their West Covina home last year, authorities said.
At what was scheduled to be a pretrial hearing in the case of Maverick Jacob Jimenez, the defendant accepted a negotiated plea deal in connection with the Aug. 16, 2015, fatal stabbing of his father, 49-year-old Joey Alfred Jimenez, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said.
“The defendant also admitted a special allegation that her personally used a deadly and dangerous weapon, a knife, during the commission of the crime,” district attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
He’s expected to receive a six-year prison term when he returns to the Los Angeles County Superior Court’s Pomona branch for sentencing on Jan. 4.
Maverick Jimenez became involved in physical fight with his father about 3:30 a.m. at their home in the 900 block of Las Rosas Drive, according to prosecutors and West Covina police officials.
“During the altercation, the defendant stabbed his father,” the district attorney’s office statement said.
The motive behind the fight was not available.
Paramedics took Joey Jimenez to a hospital where he died from his injuries, officials said.
West Covina police arrested Maverick Jimenez at the scene, West Covina police spokesman Rudy Lopez said at the time.
Maverick Jimenez was initially charged with murder in the case, which could have resulted in a sentence of more than 25 years to life in prison if convicted at trial.

PHOTO of Maverick Jacob Jimenez, courtesy

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Whittier police seek missing woman


WHITTIER >> Police are seeking a missing Whittier woman who went out for a cigarette Friday night and hasn’t been seen since.
Monique Connie Bautista, 35, was last seen between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. on Friday at her home in the 9000 block of Painter Avenue, Whittier police Lt. Steve Dean said.
“Bautista stepped out to smoke a cigarette and never returned,” Whittier police officials said in a written statement.
“Bautista is reported to suffer from depression and is bipolar,” according to the statement. “It is unknown at this time whether or not she has been taking her medication.”
Police described Bautista as Latina, 5 feet 2 inches tall, 90 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes.
Anyone with information is asked to call Whittier police at 562-567-9270.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Help sought finding missing Montebello teen


MONTEBELLO >> Police are asking the public’s help in finding a 17-year-old Montebello girl whose been missing for more than a month.
Isabel Frias was last seen on the night of Sept. 6 at her home in Montebello, prior to gong to sleep, Montebello police officials said in a written statement.
Her parents believed she had walked to school the following morning, but she never arrived, officials said.
“It is believed that Isabel may have run away with her boyfriend, Victor Alvarez, to an unknown location,” according to the statement.
“There have been possible sightings of Isabel in the East Los Angeles area near Obregon Park and Cesar Chavez Avenue,” the statement added.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Montebello police at 323-887-1313.

PHOTO courtesy of the Montebello Police Department.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Report of hostage situation in Azusa proves unfounded

AZUSA >> A SWAT team responded to an Azusa neighborhood after a report of a man possibly being held hostage in his apartment late Tuesday, but ultimately encountered only a heavily intoxicated man who was taken for psychiatric evaluation, officials said.
The incident began about 9 p.m. in the 700 block of South Lark Ellen Avenue, Azusa police officials said.
A woman notified police that she had received text messaged from her boyfriend “that indicated he was possibly being held hostage by unknown persons,” Cpl. Tom Avila said.
Based on the information provided, police summoned a SWAT team to the scene, he said.
Once the home was surrounded, SWAT officers ordered anyone inside the apartment to come out, Avila said. The lone resident emerged from the home, unharmed, but apparently highly intoxicated.
No one else was inside the apartment, and there was no evidence a crime had occurred, according to the corporal.
Officials took the man for psychiatric evaluation and announced the situation was over shortly after 11 p.m.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email