EAST LOS ANGELES >> Officials arrested a teenage Monterey Park stabbing suspect following a two-hour standoff at an East Los Angeles home on Friday, officials said.
The incident began just after 11 a.m. in the 3500 block of East Cesar E. Chavez Avenue, Deputy Caroline Rodriguez of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Information Bureau said in a written statement.
Police and deputies went to the home to serve a search warrant as part of the investigation into a Wednesday morning stabbing outside a motel in the 300 block of South Garfield Avenue in Monterey Park, Monterey Park police Lt. Gus Jimenez said.
One suspect, described a man, was taken into custody shortly after the alleged attack, Monterey Park police officials said in a written statement. But a second teenage suspect remained at large.
•Related: Man wounded in Monterey Park stabbing
The young man refused orders to exit the home when police arrived with a search warrant, officials said.
A sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau SWAT team, as well as crisis negotiators, were summoned to the scene, Rodriguez said. Nearby homes were evacuated during the standoff.
The holed-up suspect surrendered to deputies shortly after 1 p.m., Jimenez said.
Both suspects are accused of attempted murder, police said. The identity of the adult suspect was not released Friday.
PHOTO courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
Authorities arrested an 18-year-old Montebello man who they say fatally struck a bicyclist with an SUV before fleeing the scene, crashing into several parked cars and ultimately being detained by neighborhood residents until police arrived.
John F. Saldivar, 18, is accused of hit-and-run in connection with the fatal collision, which took place about 7:30 p.m. on Concourse Avenue, just south of Allston Street, on the border between East Los Angeles and Montebello, according to Officer E. Anguiano of the CHP’s East Los Angeles-area office.
The bicyclist, described as a 35-year-old Los Angeles man, died at the scene, officials said. His identity was not available Sunday.
Saldivar was driving a 2002 Ford Expedition south on Concourse Avenue prior to the collision, Anguiano said. The bicyclist was also southbound, traveling ahead of the SUV.
“For unknown reasons, (Saldivar) failed to notice the bicyclist ahead and collided with the bicyclist,” Anguiano said in a written statement. The cyclist was thrown from his bicycle.
The driver allegedly fled before crashing into several parked cars a few blocks away.
“(Saldivar) was detained by local residents until CHP arrived on scene,” Anguiano said.
Intoxicated driving was not believed to a factor in the crash, he added.
Any witnesses are encouraged to contact the CHP’s East Los Angeles-area office at 323-980-4600.
MONTEBELLO >> A woman received a 23-year prison sentence Wednesday for her role in an ill-fated armed robbery in Montebello last year that escalated into a gunfight that led to the fatal shooting of her two accomplices and the wounding of a shopkeeper, authorities said.
Toni Danielle Lopez of Los Angeles, who served as the getaway driver in the botched Montebello robbery, pleaded “no contest” in Los Angeles County Superior Court to charges of attempted murder and robbery, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokesman Greg Risling said in a written statement. She also admitted the special allegations that a gun was used in the crimes, and that the crimes were gang-related.
Judge Henry Hall immediately sentenced Lopez to 23 years in state prison, Risling said.
Lopez served as the getaway driver in the double-fatal robbery attempt, which took place just after midnight on July 18, 2015, at a restaurant in the 2100 block of West Whittier Boulevard following a spate of violent crimes.
Fellow robbers Kevin Fierro, 23, of Los Angeles and Roger Soriano, 21, of Los Angeles, entered the restaurant and carried out the robbery, Montebello police Lt. Andy Vuncannon said at the time.
Soriano shot and wounded the shopkeeper, who pulled his own gun and returned fire, police said. Soriano died in the restaurant. Fierro, who was also wounded in the gunfight, tried to flee but collapsed and died about a block away.
Just prior to the Montebello robbery attempt, Lopez, Fierro and Soriano robbed a 17-year-old boy along Whittier Boulevard in East Los Angeles, Risling said.
And prior to that, authorities suspect Fierro and Soriano carjacked the Toyota Camry used in the other crimes in East Los Angeles.
Detectives found and arrested Lopez in connection with the crime at Eugene A. Obregon Park in East Los Angeles three days after the robbery and shootout, Vuncannon said. She was still driving the carjacked Camry.
Prosecutors initially charged Lopez with two counts of murder for the deaths of her accomplices, as well as other crimes. The complaint was later amended to include one count of attempted murder, two counts of robbery and one count of receiving stolen property.
EAST VALINDA >> Gunfire erupted following a house party in East Valinda early Saturday, leaving one man dead and another hospitalized in critical condition, authorities said.
The slaying was the sixth deadly shooting reported in Los Angeles County in less than 12 hours.
The deadly shooting took place just before 2:50 a.m. in the 400 block of Shipman Avenue, in the unincorporated county area between La Puente and West Covina, according to Deputy Guillermina Saldana of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Information Bureau.
Both victims had just attended a house party.
“As the party ended and the guests dispersed, the victims were leaving the location but were confronted by an unknown suspect,” Saldana said in a written statement. “The suspect produced a handgun and opened fire fatally striking one victim in the upper torso. He died at the scene.”
The man’s identity was not released pending positive identification and notification of family, coroner’s officials said.
The second victim suffered gunshots to his “upper and lower torso,” she said. He was taken to a hospital where he was listed in critical condition.
No suspects were in custody, Saldana said. Investigators sought a white SUV seen speeding away from the shooting scene. It was last seen heading west on Northam Avenue.
No further details were available.
The attack was the last of six deadly shooting reported within 12 hours in Los Angeles County. Five men and one woman lost their lives in the afternoon and overnight violence.
Three of the deadly shootings occurred in the same neighborhood surrounding Franklin D. Roosevelt Park in an unincorporated county area just east of Los Angeles, officials said.
A man died in a 1 a.m. shooting in the 7600 block of Miramonte Avenue in an unincorporated county area just east of Los Angeles, according to the sheriff’s department.
“The victim was working on a car parked along the curb in front of a residence when an unknown suspect approached him,” sheriff’s officials said in a written statement. “The suspect produced a firearm and opened fire striking the victim.”
The victim succumbed to his injuries at a hospital, authorities said.
Another man died in a 12:30 a.m. shooting in at Union Pacific Avenue and Bonnie Beach Place in East Los Angeles, Saldana said.
Deputies responding to reports of “shots fired” encountered a man lying on the sidewalk suffering from a gunshot wound, she said. He died at a hospital. No further details were available.
A woman died in an ambush attack in a 12:10 a.m. at Carson Street and Evonda Avenue in Carson, authorities said.
“…the victim was walking west on Carson Street when an unknown suspect approached her from behind,” according to a statement issued by the sheriff’s Information Bureau. “The suspect produced a firearm and opened fire striking the victim. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.”
Two men were shot, one fatally, three hours earlier in the 1900 block of East 78th Street, less than a mile from the scene of the Miramonte Avenue shooting.
The victims were standing in a driveway with several other people when two men approached on a minibike, Deputy Trina Schrader of the sheriff’s Information Bureau said.
“One of the men on the minibike produced a handgun and opened fire. Following the shooting, the suspects rode away westbound and out of view,” according to Schrader.
Two men were struck by the gunfire, she said. One of them succumbed to his wounds at a hospital, while the other was hospitalized with injuries described as “serious.”
Friday’s violence began with a 3:47 p.m. shooting in the 7500 block of Compton Avenue in unincorporated Los Angeles, around the corner from the shooting on Miramonte Avenue.
The victim was riding his bike along the sidewalk when his attacker exited a white car parked along the curb and began shooting, Schrader said.
“The suspect got back into the vehicle and drove away southbound Compton Avenue to eastbound 76th Street and out of view,” she said.
The victim, who was shot multiple times, died at a hospital.
No suspects were in custody, and no suspect descriptions were available in any of the shootings.
And in Boyle Heights, a young girl, reportedly 10 years old, was wounded in the head by an errant bullet from a nearby shooting.
A male suspect in a vehicle shot at a bicyclist, also described only as male, about 6 p.m. Friday at Chicago Street and Rogers Avenue, Los Angeles police Officer Rosario Herrera said.
The gunfire missed the intended target, but a bullet struck the girl in the head, officials said.
An update on the girl’s condition was not available Saturday, but her injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, Herrera said.
Anyone with information on any of the deadly shootings is asked contact the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Anyone with information regarding the Boyle Heights shooting can reach the LAPD’s Hollenbeck Station at 323-342-4100.
Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
EAST LOS ANGELES >> Monterey Park police shot and wounded an attempted murder suspect during a gunfight in an East Los Angeles Wednesday, authorities said.
Monterey Park police Lt. Carrie Mazelin said officers located the suspect and the shooting occurred about 9:25 a.m. in the area of Woods Avenue and Escuela Street.
The suspect, a 34-year-old Monterey Park man, suffered a single gunshot wound to his torso and was expected to survive his wounds, according to Lt. John Corina of the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau, which is spearheading the investigation into the officer-involved shooting. He’s also suspected of shooting and wounding an active duty U.S. Marine outside a Monterey Park convenience store earlier in the week. His name was not available late Wednesday as he remained hospitalized.
No officers were hurt, but an officer’s patrol car was struck by gunfire, officials said.
Capt. Steve Katz of the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said Monterey park officers were following up on the previous shooting when the shooting took place.
“There were involved in identifying and tracking down a violent criminal who had committed an attempted murder in their city,” Katz said.
A Monterey Park officer spotted the suspect riding a bike in the area of 4th Street and Woods Avenue, Corina said. The suspect pulled a handgun and began shooting at the officer.
The officer did not initially return fire for fear of collateral damage in a nearby residential neighborhood, Corina said. The officer followed the suspect as he headed south on Woods Avenue from 4th Street, still riding a bicycle.
As the suspect and officer approached Escuela Street, the suspect again began firing at the officer, the lieutenant said.
Corina said the officer then did shoot back, firing multiple shots through the windshield of his patrol car, Corina said.
One bullet struck the suspect in the abdomen, Corina said. He fell wounded and was quickly taken into custody.
The man was wanted in connection with a shooting that left a U.S. Marine who was on leave wounded outside a Monterey Park 7-Eleven store earlier this week.
The attack took place about 2:45 a.m. Sunday at the convenience store, 281 E. Pomona Blvd., along Monterey Park’s southern border, Monterey Park police Sgt. Dave Elliot said.
The victim and a friend arrived at the store and were confronted by a man in the parking lot, the sergeant said.
“Some words were exchanged when the suspect brandished a firearm and shot the victim one time,” Elliot said.
The victim, who was struck in the abdomen, was hospitalized, Elliot said. An update on his condition was not available.
Witnesses described the shooter as a Latino man in his 20s, wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and dark pants, carrying a dark-colored handgun, Elliot said. “The suspect was seen fleeing the parking lot on a bicycle.”
Corina said the suspect had been acting belligerent and trying to start fights with other patrons as well before the Marine and his friend, a fellow Marine, arrived at the convenience store, Corina said. It was unclear whether the suspect was intoxicated at the time.
A revolver and bicycle recovered at the scene of Wednesday’s gunfight between the suspect and police officer were believed to be the same used in Sunday morning’s shooting, Corina said.
Anyone with information regarding Sunday’s shooting is asked to contact Monterey Park police Detective Han at 626-307-1246.
Anyone with information regarding Wednesday’s officer-involved shooting can reach the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500.
Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
VIDEO, PHOTO by Walt Mancini
EAST LOS ANGELES >> A 14-year-old boy found fatally shot in an East Los Angeles alley is believed to have accidentally shot himself while handling a handgun, authorities said Sunday.
The shooting took place about 6:10 p.m. in the 3500 block of Cesar Chavez Avenue, Deputy Crystal Hernandez of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Information Bureau said in a written statement.
Responding deputies found the teen lying in an alley suffering from a gunshot wound to his head, Hernandez said. Paramedics took him to a hospital, where he succumbed to his injury.
“After speaking with witnesses, it appeared the victim, 14 years old, who was a documented member of a local street gang, may have been handling a loaded handgun and unintentionally shot himself,” Hernandez said.
His identity was withheld Sunday pending officials identification and notification of his family, Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner Lt. Fred Corral said.
Detectives were yet to determine when or how the teen got the gun, officials added. No further details were released.
Anyone with information was asked to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500.
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s with other police agencies stand outside the Chris & Pitts restaurants where deputies shot and killed the carjacking suspett in Downey on Thursday September 10, 2015. (Photo by Keith Durflinger/Whittier Daily News)
A man fatally shot by deputies after carjacking a woman in West Whittier, firing shots and taking hostages inside a Downey barbecue restaurant last week was being sought for questioning in connection with the slaying of a woman found dead inside her burning East Los Angeles home in August, authorities said.
Eddie Tapia, 41, died shortly before 9 p.m. Sept. 10, when Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Special Enforcement Bureau deputies stormed the Chris’ & Pitt’s restaurant on Lakewood Boulevard in Downey where he had held four people hostage for more than an hour and shot him, according to county sheriff’s and coroner officials. The hostages were freed unharmed.
The standoff began after Tapia was spotted driving in a stolen car in the Pico Rivera area, then carjacked a woman in West Whittier before firing shots from a handgun as he fled into the crowded Downey restaurant, officials said.
As the investigation continued into Tapia, an ex-convict released from jail four months prior to the deputy-involved shooting, detectives revealed he had ties to 46-year-old Rocio Vasquez, who was found dead inside her home in the 700 block of Brady Avenue in East Los Angeles home early Aug. 8, Lt. John Corina of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said.
“Initially, the preliminary consensus was that the fire may have been accidental, but additional investigation, as well as an autopsy, would be necessary to confirm how the victim died,” sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
“It was determined during the autopsy that Victim Vasquez had not died as a result of the fire, but she had been shot and killed prior to the fire being set,” according to the statement.
Though not named a suspect in the slaying, Tapia was one of several persons of interest detectives have been seeking in connection to their investigation into Vasquez’s slaying.
“He was a person we wanted to talk to,” Corina said.
“He was her friend,” the lieutenant said, adding that Tapia was known to frequent the victim’s home.
Tapia’s city of residence was unclear.
No arrests in have been made in Vasquez’s slaying.
— Brian Day and Ruby Gonzales
PHOTO [ABOVE] by Keith Durflinger [BELOW] photo of Eddie Tapia courtesy of the California DMV.
EAST LOS ANGELES >> Sheriff’s deputies who happened upon an illegal fireworks transaction ultimately seized more than 1,000 pounds of dangerous and illegal fireworks from an East Los Angeles home and arrested two suspects Thursday night, authorities said.
Joseph Valencia, 46, and Daniel Guerrero, 44, are accused of illegal possession of explosives and possession of dangerous fireworks without a permit, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Andrew Cruz said in a written statement.
Deputies were patrolling about 11:30 p.m. in the 5200 block of Repetto Street when they spotted Valencia selling illegal fireworks to another man from a parked car, Cruz said.
“Through a brief investigation, the deputies discovered the suspect resided few properties away from where the vehicle was parked,” the sergeant said. “After searching Joseph Valencia’s residence, the deputies discovered between 1,000 (and) 1,500 pounds of illegal fireworks.” The stash included 49 explosive fireworks commonly known as M-80s.
Guerrero’s specific role in the fireworks sales was not clear Friday.
All fireworks, including those designated “Safe and Sane,” are banned in unincorporated area of Los Angeles County.
EAST LOS ANGELES >> A man accused of stabbing his grandmother to death at the East Los Angeles home they shared pleaded not guilty to a murder charge Wednesday, officials said.
Armando Sepulveda, 23, fatally stabbed 59-year-old Anna Maria Sepulveda, whose body was discovered Monday inside her home in the 100 block of North Gage Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s and district attorney’s officials said.
She had not been seen since Friday, Lt. Holly Francisco of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said.
Deputies discovered her body at the home shortly before noon Monday after checking on Anna Sepulveda at the request of concerned family members, Francisco said. The woman had been stabbed several times in the torso.
Deputies also found Armando Sepulveda at the home and arrested him in connection with the slaying.
An alleged motive in the fatal stabbing has not been released.
In addition to murder, prosecutors also accuse Armando Sepulveda of the special allegation that he personally used a knife in the crime, district attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
He was ordered back to court Nov. 5 for a preliminary hearing setting, district attorney’s office spokesman Greg Risling said.
If convicted as charged, Armando Sepulveda could face life in state prison.