A man killed his daughter and her girlfriend after a heated argument in El Monte, officials said. Here’s the complete story from reporter Ruby Gonzales.
I shot this video on Wednesday at an event sponsored by Parents of Murdered Children. The photos are of murder victims who were remembered at the unveiling of a billboard on North Peck Road in El Monte.
Here’s a link to Bethania Palma’s story on the event.
This from reporter Ben Baeder, who chronicles a growing trend right here int he San Gabriel Valley — illegal slot machines:
It’s the long arm of the law versus the one-armed bandits.
Area police are increasingly finding illegal gambling machines at area businesses, such as restaurants, liquor stores and laundromats.
Officers in El Monte and Covina have confiscated 11 machines since Dec. 6.
The discoveries have officers wondering how widespread the practice is.
“We weren’t really looking for them, but after these last couple weeks, we are now,” Covina Police Sgt. Gregg Peterson said.
Covina police since Dec. 6 have confiscated four slot machines, including two last week at a laundromat on Azusa Avenue.
And El Monte Police on Tuesday found seven video games converted into gambling machines. The games were llegal gambling machines seized by El Monte Police from businesses.
Even children’s games that give out redemption tickets are technically forbidden. If they desired, officials could enforce the law at Chuck E. Cheese’s or similar establishments.
William McCormick Jr., 59, of El Monte, took the charge after he was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence earlier this month.
He is suspected of robbing banks in Alhambra, Rosemead and Bellflower.
Hector Urias, known around El Monte and at the Irwindale Speedway for his fast cars has been shot to death at his shop in El Monte, officials said Wednesday morning. The shooting occurred about 6:30 a.m. in the 3500 block of Santa Anita Avenue.
Wikipedia: El Monte is a residential, industrial, and commercial city in Los Angeles County, California, United States.
El Monte Police Drag Car
Press release from Laura Eimiller at the FBI:
FBI Agents and detectives with multiple law enforcement agencies in three counties are seeking the public’s assistance in learning the identity of the “20 Questions Bandits,” a group of at least four unidentified men believed to be responsible for eleven takeover bank robberies in Ventura, Orange and Los Angeles Counties.
U.S. Bank, East West Bank, Cathay Bank and several Bank of America locations were targeted by the bandits. Bank of America is offering a reward of up to $100,000* in exchange for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individuals responsible for these robberies.
During the various robberies, the bandits were extremely violent and, in some cases, displayed weapons. Witnesses have described four black males, in some cases armed with guns, who have forced bank employees and customers inside the bank to comply with their demands for cash and to follow their instructions.
In some cases, the bandits also robbed victims of personal belongings. During the initial robberies linked to this group, the suspects asked several questions while inside the bank, according towitnesses and were, therefore, nicknamed the “20 Questions Bandits.”
The most recent robbery attributed to the “20 Questions Bandits” occurred on April 2, 2010 at a Bank of America in the city of Newport Beach.
The group is also believed responsible for robberies in El Monte and Rowland Heights, Eimiller said.
This from KPCC:
Mexican consul general in Los Angeles Juan Marcos Gutierrez-Gonzalez said that the investigation’s taken on high priority in Mexico. “I spoke to several members of the community of El Monte, that communicate to me the concern and I immediately talked to the ambassador of Mexico in the United States, who at the time was in Mexico City. That helped and the undersecretary, at the maximum level.”
Mexican authorities have said they believe the killings were the work of area drug cartels. On Monday, thousands of people attended a candlelight vigil at which Salcedo’s brother urged those in attendance to pressure Mexican officials to find the gunmen.
Consul Gutierrez-Gonzalez said that the slaying, while tragic, should not discourage travelers from visiting his country as long as they take precautions about their surroundings. “You can travel to Mexico. We invite you to visit Mexico but once there, take your precautions. I’m not saying the Salcedos didn’t take their precautions. I think they are victims of something else we don’t know yet.”
Rep. Judy Chu came out swinging Friday — demanding answers from the Mexican government in the death of Bobby Salcedo.