Ex-fugitive found hiding out in San Dimas deported to Canada for child molestation trial


A Canadian national who fled his home country ahead of his trial on charges of molesting a disabled child in 1980, then was captured living under an assumed identity at a San Dimas mobile home park in 2013, has been returned to Canada to face justice, authorities said Wednesday.
After 35 years as a fugitive, and another two years spent fighting extradition back to Canada, officials returned Raymond Douglas Charles Macleod, 72, to Vancouver late Tuesday, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said in a written statement.
“For the victim in this case, justice has been a long time coming, but she can take consolation in the fact that her alleged assailant is now being held accountable,” said David Jennings, field office director for ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations in Los Angeles. “I applaud my officers and the ICE attorneys whose perseverance made this happen. We will not allow our country to serve as a safe haven for those who commit reprehensible crimes.”
ICE agents and Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies arrested Macleod Oct. 28, 2013, at a mobile home park where he had been living in the 1400 block of Camper View Road in AR-131039898San Dimas, sheriff’s officials said at the time. He was believed to have been living there for at least eight years prior to his arrest.
He’s accused of the 1974 rape of a 5-year-old girl suffering from cerebral palsy, ICE officials said.
After twice attempting unsuccessfully to flee Canada to the U.S. while freed from custody during his initial trial, Macleod was acquitted due to a judge’s error, sheriff’s officials said. He was ordered to appear at a new trial in January of 1980, but disappeared.
After he was recaptured in 2013, a judge ordered Macleod deported to Canada in March of 2014, authorities said.
“Macleod subsequently appealed the judge’s decision to the Board of Immigration Appeals and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals,” according to the ICE statement. “Ultimately, both panels concurred with the original ruling, paving the way for this week’s removal.”

PHOTOS courtesy of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

No Cal murder suspect sought in Monterey Park

This comes from the San Jose Mercury News:


The search for the killer of a 41-year-old Cupertino woman stretched to Los

Authorities also confirmed Tuesday that the 10-year-old daughter and 6-year-old son of Wei Wei Li and Bing Yi witnessed the attacks on their parents before the daughter was able to make a 911 call. Li died at the scene.

Detectives from the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office were in the Monterey Park area of Los Angeles on Tuesday, looking for Huaichang Zhao, who is believed to have attacked Li and Yi with some kind of blunt object before fleeing in his white pickup truck.

Zhao’s mug shot comes from fugitive.coma Bay Area site devoted to helping capture crooks.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email