A mother and her three sons who disappeared from New Mexico, triggering a multi-state Amber Alert, were found safe in the Lancaster area Sunday night, hours after the car the were driving in was found abandoned in La Verne, authorities said.
The three boys, ages 6, 8 and 9, were believed to have been taken in Albuquerque, New Mexico during the early morning hours and driven to California by their 28-year-old mother, Laria Walker-Anderson, according to an Amber Alert issued by the California Highway Patrol.
They were last seen in a silver, 2009 Kia Spectra, according to the CHP.
According to CHP logs, authorities learned of an electronic “ping” indicating the car had been on the 210 Freeway near Foothill Boulevard, just east of the 57 Freeway, in La Verne at 2:28 p.m.
A witness called police shortly after 5 p.m. to report seeing the car listed in the Amber Alert parked at Foothill Boulevard and Ramona Avenue with no one inside, La Verne police said in a written statement.
Officers responded and confirmed the car was the one being sought. The woman and children were no where to be found.
The family turned up safe in the Lancaster area shortly before 10 p.m., according to La Verne police Lt. Monica Schusse. Further details were not immediately available.
Walker-Anderson was not formally accused of any crime on Sunday afternoon, Bernalillo County sheriff’s officials said during a news conference broadcast on the department’s Facebook page. She has legal custody of the children, and no arrest warrant has been issued.
But the woman had made threats of possible self harm, or harm against her children, to the children’s father via a phone conversation, and there was believed to be a .45-caliber handgun in the car she had been driving, according to deputies. Due to the circumstances, officials said they wanted to make sure both the children and their mother were OK.
PHOTOS courtesy of the CHP
PASADENA >> A judge sentenced a Lancaster man who drowned his 1-year-old daughter in Pasadena to 25 years to life behind bars on Friday, officials said.
A Pasadena jury convicted Marquise Jackson, 26, last month of first-degree murder, along with child abuse resulting in death for the May 20, 2011, murder of his daughter, Mo’Mayjah Jackson.
He drowned the young girl in the apartment of the girl’s mother in the 100 block of West Del Mar Blvd. in Pasadena while she was away at work, according to Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office spokesman Ricardo Santiago.
Shortly after his arrest, Jackson, who was 21 at the time, told police he killed the girl because he no longer wanted the responsibility of being a father, police said.
But he went on to deny the formal charges, and argued unsuccessfully that he was mentally unfit to stand trial.
The jury deliberated for less than one day before convicting Jackson, officials said.
This comes from the Associated Press:
LANCASTER – The notorious Mongols biker gang has been fenced out of a Mojave Desert motel where hundreds of motorcyclists were destined for a weekend rendezvous.
City officials shut down the Desert Inn and installed chain-link fencing at the entrances Thursday to block the biker meeting in Lancaster, about 60 miles north of Los Angeles.
The 144-room motel has a $16,000 contract to provide weekend space and rooms for up to 300 Mongols for their annual meeting, but the city used a tax case to shut down the motel. City Manager mark Bozigian said Desert Inn owner Hui Su is past due on $180,000 in motel bed tax payments.
Mayor R. Rex Parris this week said the gang was not welcome in Lancaster because they “are engaged in domestic terrorism … and they kill our children.” He said the motel owners refused to comply when he asked them to renege on the contract.
Los Angeles County sheriff’s Capt. Axel Anderson said closing the Desert Inn helps ensure public safety, noting that the gang has been implicated in murder and drugs.
Dozens of Mongol members were indicted last year on drug trafficking, murder and other charges, and their former leader, Ruben “Doc” Cavazos, later pleaded guilty to a racketeering conspiracy charge.
Mongols lawyer Albert Perez Jr. said a lawsuit is planned over the motel contract dispute. He said up to 800 people, including members from 10 states and their families, were expected to attend the event.
“They’re upset because they’re getting a bad rap.”
Unrelated Mongol News from Aging Rebel — has some pretty interesting commentary about the recent arrest of a gang member in connection with the slaying of a Mongol last summer just outside of Pasadena.