GLENDORA >> Authorities have identified a young Lawndale woman and an elderly Riverside man killed when the car they were riding as passengers in was rear-ended on the 210 Freeway in Glendora on Saturday afternoon.
Luisa Gonzalez, 19, of Lawndale and Edgar Ramirez, 76, of Riverside were killed in the three-vehicle wreck, which took place just before 4 p.m. on the eastbound 210 Freeway. just west of Sunflower Avenue, according to Officer O. Zayas of the California Highway Patrol’s Baldwin Park-area office. The relationship between the victims was unclear.
Both were passengers in a 2005 Honda Civic being driven by a 23-year-old Riverside man that ended up smashed between a 2009 Ford F-250 pickup truck and a 2017 Honda Accord, CHP officials said.
The driver of the Accord, described as a 46-year-old Winnetka woman, was driving ahead of the other vehicles and applied her brakes due to slowing traffic ahead, Zayas said in a written statement.
The Civic struck the rear of the Accord, and the pickup truck struck the rear of the Civic.
Paramedics pronounced Gonzalez and Ramirez dead at the scene.
The driver of the Civic was treated for apparently minor injuries, Zayas said. The drivers of the Accord and the F-250 were not injured.
The collision remains under investigation, however, DUI was not initially suspected to be a factor, Zayas said. No arrests were made.
DIAMOND BAR >> Three Riverside men are awaiting trial on charges that they burglarized a Diamond Bar smoke shop two weeks ago, making off with two trash bags full of stolen cigarettes and other tobacco products, authorities said.
A report of a “burglary in progress” about 6:40 a.m. on May 24 first drew deputies to the D Bar Smoke Shop, 1127 Grand Ave., Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
“The suspects had fled prior to the deputies arriving,” according to the statement. But a witness was able to provide deputies with a description of the burglars and their getaway car.
Deputies soon found the suspects’ vehicle entering the eastbound 60 Freeway and pulled it over on the 71 Freeway at the Chino Avenue exit in Chino, officials said.
“The deputies searched the vehicle and found two trash bags filled with tobacco products that had been stolen,” according to the statement.
“Station detectives followed up on the case and served a search warrant at a residence in Riverside where more stolen property was recovered,” according to the statement. The merchandise recovered from the home included, “thousands of dollars of items stolen from Home Depot.”
Details of the alleged theft from Home Depot were not available Wednesday.
Eugene Little, 51, Louie Gutierrez, 28, and Jon Eric Gallarde, 47, all of Riverside, have each been charged with two counts of burglary, according to Los Angeles County booking and Superior Court records. All three men are scheduled to appear for arraignment hearings July 24 in the Pomona branch of Pomona Superior Court.
Little is free on bond pending the trial process after posting $20,000 bail, records show. Gallarde is being held in lieu of $130,000 bail, and Gutierrez, who has an outstanding warrant in Riverside County, was being held without bail.
PHOTOS courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
RIVERSIDE >> A suspected serial bank robber the FBI is calling the “We’re Listening Bandit,” accused of six bank robberies and attempted bank robberies throughout Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties, is behind bars after police in Riverside found and arrested him this week, authorities said.
Jeffery Tuli, 33, of San Bernardino is suspected in six bank robberies and attempted bank robberies throughout the region, as well as two additional robberies in Moreno Valley since late-June, according to Moreno Valley police and FBI officials.
Moreno Valley police tracked him down and arrested him about 3 p.m. Thursday in a parking lot in the 8900 block of Trautwein Road, Moreno Valley police Sgt. Aaron Kent said in a written statement.
“Several items of evidence were located in Tuli’s vehicle,” he said, but did not elaborate.
Tuli began his alleged crime spree in on June 21 with a failed robbery at a Wells Fargo branch in Highland, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
He then robbed a Fontana U.S. Bank on July 9 and a Moreno Valley Chase bank on July 12, Eimiller said.
The “We’re Listening Bandit” then tried, but failed, to rob a Whittier Wells Fargo branch on July 13 before successfully robbing a Wells Fargo in Moreno Valley on July 14, and a Riverside Union Bank on the same say, she said.
The one-man crime wave continued Wednesday, when Tuli robbed two people at gunpoint as they sat in a car in Moreno Valley, Kent said. Twenty minutes later, he robbed a Moreno Valley business at gunpoint.
Moreno Valley police identified Tuli as a suspect in the crimes in their jurisdiction and learned that the same man was sought in connection with other robberies throughout Southern California, Kent said.
The “We’re Listening Bandit” earned his moniker due to demand notes passed to tellers during the bank robberies, threatening that he or “others” will be watching the victims, Eimiller said.
According to Riverside County booking records, Tuli was being held in lieu of $1 million pending his initial court appearance, scheduled Tuesday in the Riverside Hall of Justice.
PHOTOS: [TOP] Booking mug of Jeffery Tuli, 33, of San Bernardino, courtesy of the Riverside Sheriff’s Department. [BELOW] Bank surveillance photo courtesy of the FBI.
Heavily armed federal law enforcement officials raided a Riverside home neighboring the former home of one of the two San Bernardino terrorist attackers as part of the ongoing, feverish investigation into the dead couple responsible for Wednesday’s mass killing at the Inland Regional Center, authorities said.
A SWAT team descended on the Tomlinson Avenue home shortly after 1 a.m., FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
“A a federal search warrant was served,” she said.
“Tactical entry was made utilizing SWAT as a precaution, based on information developed in our investigation,” Eimiller said.
No arrests were made. Eimiller declined to comment on whether any evidence was seized from the home.
Public records indicate 28-yearold Syed Farook lived at the Tomlinson Avenue address between 2008 and 2014. He subsequently moved to Corona, and most recently, to Redlands, where authorities ultimately discovered a stockpile of ammunition and explosives.
Syed’s accomplice and wife, Tashfeen Malik, 29, immigrated to the U.S. after marrying Farook in Aug. of 2014, officials said. A native of Pakistan, she was living in Saudi Arabia when she met Farook online.
“The search warrant is under seal,” she said. “I am prohibited from commenting about the details of the search.
But sources with knowledge of the investigation said the raid was part of investigation into a person believed to have purchased some of the firearms used in the mass shooting, which left 14 people dead and 21 others injured.
The warrant did not target a specific person, but rather the residence, Eimiller explained.
People were home at the time of the raid, however Eimiller declined to comment further on who was contacted. No injuries or incidents of violence were reported.
Maria Gutierrez says she was told to leave her house further down the street at 1:30 a.m. Saturday for safety reasons as authorities swept in with guns drawn.
She says authorities used a megaphone to tell whoever was in the house to come out.
Another neighbor, Lorena Aguirre, says law enforcement broke windows and used a torch to get in the garage.
The garage door appeared ripped open and the garage itself was piled high boxes above window-level. Curtains were drawn closed on the main house, and a sign jotted on a piece of drywall stated, “Please keep off the property. Thank you.”
Neighbor Adolfo Agoncillo said he didn’t even notice the raid was taking place until he received a phone call from his daughter, who told him that the street had been blocked off.
Agoncillo said that during the year-and-a-half he’s lived in the neighborhood, he’d only seen the family who lives at the raided home once, while taking a bike ride.
Memorials and tributes to the victims continued unfolding throughout the Southland.
At the Sante Fe Dam Recreation Area in Irwindale, home of the Renaissance Pleasure Faire, loved ones celebrated the life of Larry Daniel Kaufman, 42, of Rialto. They remembered good times with the self-described nerd and Rennaisance Pleasure Faire aficionado. Representatives of a San Bernardino mosque also stopped by to pay their respects.
Another memorial was planned Saturday night in North Hollywood for victim Bennetta BetBadal, 46, of Rialto.
And an interfaith service to foster healing was held Saturday afternoon at the Islamic Center of Inland Empire in Rancho Cucamonga.
Despite still reeling from the shocking attack that rocked the region and the nation, some signs of normalcy can be seen returning to San Bernardino.
Hundreds of locals gathered to support the San Bernardino’s YMCA holiday parade Saturday morning. Some said they turned out despite fear, others said they were not afraid.
President Barack Obama dedicated his weekly address on Saturday to the “act of terror” in San Bernardino, declaring Americans are resilient and will not be terrorized.
Obama began by saluting first responders and saying he was praying for the wounded.
“Most of all,” he said, “we stand with 14 families whose hearts are broken.”
Investigators are continuing to look into what led up to the attack by Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, on Wednesday, Obama said.
“It is entirely possible that these two attackers were radicalized to commit this act of terror,” Obama said. “And if so, it would underscore a threat we’ve been focused on for years: the danger of people succumbing to violent, extremist ideologies.”
The president also reiterated his support for gun control, saying it was too easy for dangerous people to obtain firearms — even those who are on the “no-fly list.”
“That’s insane,” Obama said. “If you’re too dangerous to board a plane, you’re too dangerous, by definition, to buy a gun. And so I’m calling on Congress right now to close this loophole.”
PHOTOS by Ryan Hagen
Funeral service for Officer Ryan P. Bonaminio
A funeral service will be held for Officer Ryan P. Bonaminio at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Grove Community Church in Riverside.
ABC 7 will stream the service at http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/livenow?id=7790591
I’ll try to find a link for those who want to watch here. Check back.
The LAPD and Riverside County Sheriff’s Department Monday night rescued a man who had been kidnapped earlier in Van Nuys. Here’s the top of our story:
The kidnap victim, according to the LAPD spokesman, was apparently taken from the area of Van Nuys on Wednesday. No further details were given about the identity of the man or why he was kidnapped.
Police said he was injured but apparently not as a result of the rescue.
The police SWAT team surrounded the residence in the 6900 block of Delaware River Road.
In cooperation with Riverside County sheriff’s deputies, they stormed the house about 6:30 p.m., according to witnesses.
A jury has recommended the death penalty for Raymond Oyler, the man convicted of intentionally lighting several SoCal wildfires in 2006, including the deadly Esparanza Fire in October, which claimed the lives of five firefighters.
The Associated Press reports:
RIVERSIDE — A jury recommended the death penalty Wednesday for a
man convicted of murdering five federal firefighters who were overrun by one of several wildfires he ignited in Southern California in 2006.
Jurors took less than a day to decide that Raymond Lee Oyler deserved to die.
Prosecutors cited the horrific pain the fire crew suffered and the terror the auto mechanic’s
fires caused in rural areas of Riverside County.
Outside court, Maria Loutzenhiser, the wife of slain fire Capt. Mark Loutzenhiser, thanked jurors and prosecutors “for putting an end to everybody’s misery and giving everybody peace of mind.”
“I’m grateful they put Oyler in jail and that he’s there and he can’t do this anymore,” she
Oyler, 38, was convicted of five counts of first-degree murder, 20 counts of arson and 17 counts of using an incendiary device.
Jurors began penalty phase deliberations Tuesday afternoon.
The jury foreman, who declined to give his name, said the two-month trial was an emotional ordeal but the evidence showed Oyler’s guilt and helped persuade the panel he should get the death penalty.
“There were more tears today than any other day,” he said. “It’s not an easy decision to
The foreman choked back tears as he recalled some of the testimony from family members. He hugged several of them outside court.
At sentencing, set for April 3, Judge W. Charles Morgan still could give Oyler the punishment the defense had urged jurors to choose: life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Oyler’s daughter echoed his lawyers’ claim that her father never intended to kill anyone.
“That was not in his mind. My dad is not this monster they paint him to be,” 21-year-old Heather Oyler said outside the courtroom.
Prosecutor Michael Hestrin told jurors in closing arguments of the trial’s penalty phase that
Oyler was not a casual arsonist but instead sought the power to end people’s lives.
Oyler was convicted of setting numerous fires in rural areas of Riverside County in 2006.
The fatal blaze, known as the Esperanza Fire, roared to life that October as fierce Santa Ana
winds swept through valleys and mountains about 90 miles east of Los Angeles.
The crew of San Bernardino National Forest Engine 57 was overwhelmed after deploying
to protect an unoccupied house perched at the top of a steep drainage in the San Jacinto
Three firefighters died there and a fourth died soon after at a hospital. The fifth died five
days later, the same day Oyler was arrested.
Prosecutors showed jurors graphic photos of the firefighters: Jason McKay, 27; Jess McLean, 27; Daniel Hoover-Najera, 20; Pablo Cerda, 23, and Loutzenhiser, 43.
Judge Morgan previously ruled Oyler mentally competent after an evaluation by a
*Photo courtesy of the Associated Press