Next season, aka this season, we will be running an all-encompassing SGV Top 25. That means Whittier Daily News, Pasadena Star-News and SGV Tribune teams will be considered. So from St. Francis to Bonita down to Diamond Bar and back across to La Habra, this is everybody. This is the very best of the very best.
What you have here is the opening Top 25. This is the Top 25 going into April’s passing league games, which it seems like nobody is doing. But nonetheless it’s a schedule landmark. This Top 25 will be updated going into spring practice, then again going into passing league, then again after passing league, then again going into the football preview issues (which I’m told will be a sight to behold), then again weekly during season and finally a final Top 25 after the season is over. So without futher adieu ……..
1. Bishop Amat — Freddie just blew his tax return on season tickets.
2. La Habra — Cody Clements returns and the Highlanders shouldn’t miss a beat.
3. Charter Oak — QB Santiago and WR Rufus are back for Big Lou.
4. Diamond Ranch — Roddy is looking like odds-on choice in Hacienda and Southeast.
5. South Hills — I’m actually skeptical about this, but everyone I talk to says lookout.
6. Glendora — QB Jeffries gives Tarty a head start on a nice season.
7. St. Francis — Life after Riley could be scary. But Ian Hamilton should blossom.
8. West Covina — Yet another team my sources are saying is very scary.
9. Muir — Both lines are supposed to be strong and you know the Stangs always have skill.
10. Damien — Sparty loses a lot, so there could be more rough times ahead.
11. La Mirada — Hearing there’s up to four D-1 guys on the roster.
12. Monrovia — Cats scheduled up and have the returnees to justify it.
13. San Dimas — Yes, I know the Saints have scoreboard, but M-Town has more back.
14. Rowland — Coach Snyder is casting for a supporting cast for Michael Ball.
15. Schurr — QB Cantu gives Schurr somebody great to build around.
16. Santa Fe — The Chiefs lose quite a bit, but never doubt Mahlstede.
17. Baldwin Park — Could Braves be even better than last year’s 9-3?
18. Bonita — The Hacienda will be easier on the Cats and a good QB is back.
19. Arroyo — With so much skill returning, the Knights are going to be scary.
20. Whittier Christian — QB Anderson and his top two receivers are back.
21. Rosemead — Panthers quietly have one of the most veteran squads around.
22. California — Life after Terris Jones will be interesting.
23. Pasadena — I can’t take it! Is this the year?
24. San Gabriel — Have to believe the Mats will find another big-time arm.
25. Alhambra — No Ruedaflores, but Moors always put out a solid product.
As always, please tell me where I went wrong or right.