I don’t see this changing much. We pretty much know right know what the stronger and weaker leagues are in the Mid-Valley Division. We may not know the exact order of finish yet, but ranking the leagues at this point should be doable.
So here goes …
1. Valle Vista: Looking at a very probable scenario of Covina, San Dimas and Baldwin Park getting in. If BP somehow lost one of its next two games, then chaos would ensue. If the Braves don’t and San Dimas beats Covina, then all three teams get in. And, I think maybe even a fourth make it. If Covina loses to SD, then there’s a strong chance the VVL champ will be not be a top-four seed. Crazy, I know.
2. Olympic: Whittier Christian appears headed to the league title. Valley Christian looks to be a safe bet for second. Whomever finishes third (Maranatha?) absolutely deserves an at-large berth, though the CIF formula may not mean much unless its Maranatha vying for an at-large with La Canada, among others.
3. Mission Valley: Surprised? Don’t be. It’s close between the next four leagues, but seriously, the September results pretty much say the MVL is the third-best league. Both Arroyo and Rosemead beat Montebello, which is vying for second/third in the Almont. Rosemead beat Temple City, which looks like the Rio Hondo’s second-place team. Of course, San Gabriel beat Rosemead. It’s not cut and dry, but body of work says MVL.
4. Rio Hondo: Monrovia really carries the weight here. But after that, the RHL has some encouraging results that would help you make the argument it’s the third-best league. South Pas beat San Gabriel. La Canada beat Alhambra. San Marino, once up on a time was good.
5. Almont: This is where it gets dicey. Schurr will be one of the better league champs in the field of 16. But after that, the Almont leaves a lot to be desired … unless you want to argue that teams like Bell Gardens and Montebello are better now than they were in September.
6. Montview: Azusa carries the show here. But after that, you can bet every seeded team or league champ wants the Montview’s second-place team for its first-round game. It’s just hard to believe anybody beside Azusa can win a playoff game when the dance starts.
Playoff berths by league (prediction): Valle Vista 4, Olympic 3, Rio Hondo 3, Mission Valley 2, Almont 2, Montview 2.
Top four seeds as of now: Covina, Whittier Christian, Azusa and Arroyo.