Andy Sherwood (left), Josh Savage (middle) and Jonathan Lyles (right) are three reasons why Damien was almost No. 1.
This is the second-to-last preseason ranking. There will be a final preseason ranking after the teams are in pads (probably right around a week before the season).
1. Charter Oak — Physically the most impressive team around. Offense progressing well, too.
2. Damien — My No. 1 team if Alex Hernandez doesn’t transfer.
3. Chino Hills — Huskies drop a tad because I’m worried about the run game.
4. St. Paul — Threw against top-flight competition and held their own.
5. West Covina — Don’t know what SGV Shootout title portends, but man that’s scary.
6. Monrovia — Didn’t light it up this summer as I had hoped, but that’s being nitpicky.
7. Bishop Amat — Uninspiring summer is cause for concern for some, but not others.
8. La Habra – Not as flashy as previous summers, but then again, things go in cycles.
9. St. Francis — I’d rather have QB solved and worry about everything else than the opposite.
10. La Mirada — Offers are rolling in for the talent, so let’s hope for no repeat of ’10.
11. La Serna — Scary thought: QB Palmer looks like he’s gotten even better.
12. San Dimas — Valle Vista has gone from Saints cakewalk to “Watch out for Northview”.
13. Ayala — Jordan Robinson hailed as best skill player in league by Sierra coaches.
14. South Hills — The size is there as we all now know, but depth and QB are worries.
15. Claremont — Yet another Sierra team having a solid summer. What a league.
16. Diamond Ranch — Quiet summer, but talent is looking better and better to me.
17. Maranatha — Skill talent is there, but cohesion just isn’t quite there yet.
18. Cantwell — As good as shot as anybody in the Northwest.
19. Arcadia — Although not to last year’s level, passed my eyeball test at SGV Shootout.
20. Northview — By far the most impressive turnaround compared to last year.
21. San Gabriel — You’d think the Mats would thrive at passing games, but not so.
22. El Monte — Love how the Lions have tested themselves against top competition.
23. Arroyo — After seeing QB Nathan Coto, fears about Knights have subsided.
24. Pasadena — Supporting cast for QB Cox is developing … slowly.
25. Duarte — Absolutely scary size. This team is poised to make a major leap this season.
Follow me on Twitter @ChemicalAT