Pasadena Star-News reporter Melissa Pamer wrote this story on Feb. 15 ago about developer Jason Chung and his problems in the city.
MONTEREY PARK – A developer’s plans to build luxury condominiums targeted at wealthy Chinese immigrants met a roadblock this week.
Developer Jason Chung, who got initial city approval for the project last year, believes his 54-unit, six-story condo building will appeal to rich families emigrating from dense urban centers in China and Taiwan. He plans a high-end East-West fusion restaurant on the building’s ground floor.
“A lot of wealthy Chinese buy in San Marino, Rowland Heights and Diamond Bar, but they really want someplace convenient where they don’t have to drive a car,” Chung said. “They can walk to get their dim sum.”
And then this story ran today in the Los Angeles Times:
They used to call Monterey Park “the Chinese Beverly Hills,” a suburb east of downtown Los Angeles that for three decades has been synonymous with the explosion of Chinese immigration and trade in the San Gabriel Valley.
But in recent years, some of the luster once associated with Monterey Park has moved east to newer communities including City of Industry, Walnut and Diamond Bar. And that’s left city leaders debating the town’s future.
Enter developer Jason Chung. He is offering the city the chance to lure jet-setters from Shanghai, Taipei and Hong Kong to a six-story, steel-and-glass condominium tower. He said residents at the 54-unit luxury complex could enjoy concierge and maid service and would be minutes away from scores of authentic Chinese restaurants.