West Covina City Hall may be open 7-days a week

WEST COVINA – Councilman Mike Touhey wants City Hall open seven days a week to accommodate working people, at a time when civic centers are slashing hours.

In a Dec. 3 letter to City Manager Andy Pasmant, Touhey requests a “one-stop counter” in City Hall where a cross trained part-time employee works Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Touhey asked for the idea to be placed on the next City Council agenda.

This comes at a time when cities such as Covina are changing its hours and moving to a four-day work week to save money.

Below is the letter sent last week:

Andy

I would like to agendize a one stop counter for the next council meeting. A counter on the 1st Floor of City Hall where we have one cross trained Part-Time employee to work Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Also volunteer counter people to help the staff member similar to our SHOP Program. So residents can take care of business when they are off of work. Making City Hall more available for the people. City Hall open 7 days a week to serve you, I like the sound of it.

Friday 4 PM 9 PM

Saturday 12 PM – 5 PM

Sunday 12 PM -5 PM

I have had great concerns since we have gone to a 4 Day work week I think it’s poor customer service for the Residents.

Mike Touhey

  • Confused

    So one, part-time, poorly paid employee is suppose to answer any question a resident would have? From building permits, to utility bill questions, to recreation sign-ups? This does not make any sense whatsoever…. I don’t think any of the Department Heads would feel comfortable with a part-time employee making unilateral decisions at the counter with no support staff. A recipe for disaster if you ask me…

  • Can’t we at least capitalize correctly?

    Not to mention that the grammer and use of capitalization is atrocious in this letter.

  • Anonymous

    LOL…..

    Councilman Mike Touhey wants City Hall open seven days a week to accommodate working people.

    LOL…..

  • Red Tape

    What’s with the bashing of Part Time employees? Just because they are not full time, they suddenly become deficient in being able to answer questions? I don’t think the City of West Covina or any City would put out a 16 or 18 year old part timer to answer questions about building permits or utility bills. The way the economy is right now, there are many highly capable unemployed people who can work like a full time employee but would take a part time position so they can have a job.

    There are other cities that use part time employees to take on important projects, they just have a different title: consultants.

  • To Red Tape

    They’re not saying that a part-timer can’t answer the public’s questions, but if you think that one person (’cause you probably won’t find many people who would voluntarily give up their weekends to work for free) can handle the entire workload of City Hall by himself, you’re crazy! Touhey’s idea is very flawed and doomed to fail. He should try doing what he’s suggesting so he could see for himself.

  • Just the Facts

    To Red Tape said, You didn’t read the article the volunteer was in addition to the Part Time cross trained worker. The City currently use people to do extra work on plans paid for by the customers who aren’t West Covina employees on there days off from another city (Friday, Saturday & Sunday).

    Police, Fire & Communications work 24 / 7 70% of the total city employees. Community Services and Maintainence work 7 days a week now 20% of the total city employees so 90% work 7 days a week. Meaning there department has employees working. The remaining is the question 10%.

  • West Covina Watcher

    West Covina need to make sure we are the very best city in the San Gabriel Valley so business owners and families will choose West Covina as their home.To get through tough times we must provide Great customer service at City Hall. I Love this idea

  • Hernandez Fan

    after Mayor Hernandez wins his election to assembly He is going to run for Governor and when He wins West Covina will get a lot of state money to solve its problems ………. and After that He will become President Hernandez …….and after that Hernandez will merge Mexico and USA and Canada and King Hernandez will always take care of West Covina. Thank you West Covina Police Union for Supporting King Hernandez anything for a pay raise right ?

  • Anon

    That is the silliest idea I’ve ever heard. One part-time employee will generally be knowledgeable in the department in which they work. A Police Dept employee sitting in City Hall will not be able to help someone get a building permit.

    This idea is a waste of time and money. If the council wants city hall more available to the public….open city hall to 5 days a week with one evening day of evening hours. Problem solved.

  • Anon

    That is the silliest idea I’ve ever heard. One part-time employee will generally be knowledgeable in the department in which they work. A Police Dept employee sitting in City Hall will not be able to help someone get a building permit.

    This idea is a waste of time and money. If the council wants city hall more available to the public….open city hall to 5 days a week with one evening day of evening hours. Problem solved.