Get your best water-ski and -snowboard moves ready for the 23rd annual Lake Cushing Crossing at Squaw Valley on Saturday.
The Cushing Crossing is the resort’s acclaimed pond skimming event that challenges participants to cross the vast and chilly waters of Cushing Pond on skis, a snowboard or any ski or snowboard-based vessel. The event is known for colossal crashes, hilarious costumes, and ultra-creative pond skimming contraptions.
Since the event’s creation more than 20 years ago, plenty of ski resorts have come up with their own pond-skimming events, yet none rival this one. Perhaps it is because the characters at Squaw are a little more creative. Or maybe it is because Cushing Pond is a real pond, rather than a tarp-lined ditch or kiddie pool. Whatever the reason, the Cushing Crossing blows other pond skimming events out of the water, as demonstrated by the thousand plus spectators that come out for the event every year.
Prizes for the Cushing Crossing winners are…
- Overall: 2013/14 Bronze Season Pass, GoPro Hero 3, $200 cash
- Men’s Ski: GoPro Hero 3, Oakley Goggles, $100 cash
- Men’s Snowboard: GoPro Hero 3, Oakley Goggles, $100 Cash
- Women’s Ski: GoPro Hero 3, Oakley Goggles, $100 Cash
- Woman’s Snowboard: GoPro Hero 3, Oakley Goggles, $100 Cash
- Unlimited: GoPro Hero 3, $100 cash
- Most Creative: Oakley Goggles, Squaw swag, $100 cash
- Skinny Ski (70mm or less): Oakley Goggles, Squaw swag, $100 cash
In addition to the legendary pond skimming event, this weekend boasts an incredible lineup of spring fun at Squaw Valley with a Saturday pool party at High Camp, great ski conditions, sunny skies in the forecast, and music at the KT Base Bar.
The Cushing Crossing is open to the first 50 registrants. Registration will take place at the KT Base Bar at 9 a.m., and the competition kicks off at 1 p.m. The cost to participate is $20. All entrants must be 18 or older. A life preserver and a helmet are required.