News and notes from all over today, so let’s take a little tour shall we?
The incident between Ashley Cole and Landon Donovan Wednesday that could have World Cup repercussions (AP Photo).
*Starting in London, there’s word that Landon Donovan’s English excursion could have unintended consequences for the World Cup game between the U.S. and England:
LONDON (AP) — England left back Ashley Cole broke his left ankle during a challenge from Landon Donovan, an injury that will sideline him for about three months but should allow him to return for the World Cup.
The injury raises the possibility England coach Fabio Capello could start Wayne Bridge
alongside John Terry for a March 3 exhibition game against Wembley.
Cole was injured while playing for Chelsea against Everton in the Premier League on Wednesday night, and a scan revealed the extent of the injury on Thursday. The
timetable projects him to be back for England’s World Cup opener against the United States on June 12 but would give him only a month to regain fitness for a rematch in Rustenburg, South Africa, against Donovan.
Cole’s backup on England’s national team is Bridge. Terry was dropped as England’s captain last week following reports that Terry had an affair with Bridge’s former girlfriend.
Chelsea’s season will end May 8 or 9 unless it advances to the final of the FA Cup on May 15 or the European Champions League on May 22.
If Cole isn’t ready for the World Cup, other possible replacements for England include Aston Villa’s Stephen Warnock, Manchester City’s Joleon Lescott and Everton’s Leighton Baines.
Cole was replaced by Michael Ballack after Donovan’s challenge in the 57th minute. Although Chelsea did not suggest that Donovan had fouled Cole, Blues assistant coach Ray Wilkins said after the game it was a strong challenge made while Cole was off balance.
*Up in Liverpool, Everton manager David Moyes moved to cool transfer speculation over the on-loan Galaxy playmaker.
*Meanwhile, following a 20-day training camp at Carson’s Home Depot Center, U.S. Women’s National Team Coach Pia Sundhage has named a 19-player roster for the 2010 Algarve Cup in Portugal:
goalkeepers – Nicole Barnhart (FC Gold Pride), Jill Loyden (Chicago Red Stars), Hope Solo (St. Louis Athletica)
defenders – Rachel Buehler (FC Gold Pride), Stephanie Cox (Boston Breakers), Amy LePeilbet (Boston Breakers), Heather Mitts (Philadelphia Independence), Meghan Schnur (Sky Blue FC), Cat Whitehill (Washington Freedom)
midfielders – Yael Averbuch (Sky Blue FC), Shannon Boxx (St. Louis Athletica), Tobin Heath (Atlanta Beat), Lori Lindsey (Philadelphia Independence), Carli Lloyd (Sky Blue FC), Heather O’Reilly (Sky Blue FC)
forwards – Lauren Cheney (Boston Breakers), Casey Nogueira (Chicago Red Stars), Amy Rodriguez (Philadelphia Independence), Abby Wambach (Washington Freedom)
The 12-team tournament runs from Feb. 24 through March 3.
Notable: The roster features one of the biggest turnovers from the previous year’s Algarve Cup roster since the USA started attending the tournament in 1994. Only eight players from last year’s 18-player roster made the squad.
*In Phoenix, Lawndale’s Kei Kamara marked a new contract he signed with the Kansas City Wizards last week by scoring a hat trick Wednesday in a 120-minute scrimmage with San Jose. The Wizards won 3-0 with Kamara scored all of his goals inside the first 30 minutes of the scrimmage.
*Meanwhile, the Kansas City Star reports former Galaxy goalkeeper Kevin Hartman of the Palos Verdes Peninsula still isn’t in the Wizards camp.
Coach Peter Vermes isn’t sure when or if the 35-year-old veteran will sign a new deal:
“In the last three weeks it’s been hot and heavy (contract negotiations),” Vermes told the Star, “but it doesn’t seem like we’re really getting anywhere.”
And now Hartman may have negotiated himself out a job.
The Wizards have former D.C. United goalkeeper Louis Crayton, 32, in camp, but this morning came word K.C. have signed Danish veteran Jimmy Nielsen from Danish club Vejle to a one-year deal.
Updated 5 p.m.
MLS and the players union released this statement this afternoon: Major League Soccer and the Major League Soccer Players Union today announced that they have agreed to continue to negotiate through February 25, as they work towards reaching a new collective bargaining agreement. Negotiations scheduled for this week were postponed due to the snow storms along the Northeast Corridor. Negotiations will continue over the next two weeks.