Two of the hottest teams in the league meet Friday in Avaya Stadium at 8 p.m. in one of the league’s hottest rivalries. The Galaxy (13-7-7) and San Jose Earthquakes (10-10-5) meet for the fourth time this season both on winning streaks. L.A. has won four straight while San Jose has won three. Here’s what you need to know for kickoff:
To dive a little deeper into this week’s rivalry game: Game-by-game results of the California Clasico since 2008.
- Sebastian Lletget, a Bay Area native, is coming home this weekend. He is the team’s second-leading scorer in only 13 league games, but his hot start did not come as a surprise to him.
- The California Clasico is so intense that Alan Gordon used to have trouble dressing his son in Galaxy gear.
- On Wednesday, defender Todd Dunivant announced his plans to retire at the end of this season.
- An interesting read from MLSsoccer.com on the divergent paths of the two California rivals after their 2012 playoff meeting.
- The Earthquakes are peaking right before Friday’s rivalry matchup.
- With rivalry week upon us, MLS captains weigh in on the league’s best rivalries. (The quotes aren’t attributed, so you get to guess who said what.)
- Giovani dos Santos was left of the Mexican national team roster for September’s friendlies.