Head coach Bruce Arena expects the Giovani dos Santos to be fully healthy for training Thursday after the Mexican international left Saturday’s game against Montreal at halftime. A team official said dos Santos was suffering from groin soreness and was taken out of the game as a provisional measure. Dos Santos did not train fully on Tuesday when Arena met with the media.
“I think he’s going to be fine,” Arena said. “He had a little bit of a cramp and we wanted to be smart about it.”
Video of Bruce Arena’s meeting with the media today:
Dos Santos, Gordon, Gonzalez, Zardes named to CONCACAF provisional rosters
Although dos Santos was not on the Mexican roster for a pair of international friendlies earlier this month, the 26-year-old was included on his federation’s provisional roster for the CONCACAF Cup matchup between Mexico and the United States on Oct. 10.
Dos Santos’ teammates defender Omar Gonzalez, midfielder Gyasi Zardes and forward Alan Gordon were named to the United States’ provisional roster for the Rose Bowl-hosted game.
“We want players on national teams and obviously the four named, it is a great honor,” Arena said, “and hopefully they all have a great game on Oct. 10 and the U.S. wins.”