Robbie Keane’s goal in the 37th minute was enough for the Galaxy to clinch a playoff berth against Seattle on Oct. 4. The Galaxy face Seattle again this week in the first round of the playoffs.
(AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)
In 90 crazy, exciting and dramatic minutes across the league, the LA Galaxy went from second in the West to fourth, to third, to fifth, and when the dust settled on Decision Day, the Galaxy limped out of the fray with a 2-1 loss to Sporting Kansas City and a knockout round game at Seattle waiting for them this week.
A 2-0 win for Vancouver over Houston locked up the second seed for the Whitecaps, and the Timbers also jumped the Galaxy with a 4-1 win over Colorado at home to clinch the third seed.
The Sounders won 3-1 over Real Salt Lake to set up the knockout round matchup with L.A. Sporting Kansas City held on for the sixth seed.
Continue reading “Sporting Kansas City, Decision Day drop Galaxy to fifth seed” »
Graphic by Thuc Nhi Nguyen // LANG
It all comes down to this.
It’s Decision Day and by 6 p.m. tonight, we’ll finally know how the playoff seeding shakes out. The situation remains the same for the Galaxy: Win and you’re in. A win at Sporting Kansas City gives L.A. the No. 2 seed and that coveted first-round bye. A win could drop them as far as fifth.
Continue reading “Galaxy game day: Playoff seeding comes down to Decision Day” »
Galaxy’s Steven Gerrard celebrates his first MLS goal against the Earthquakes in a MLS soccer game at the StubHub Center, Friday, July 17, 2015, Carson, CA. The score at halftime was tied 2-2.Los Angeles Galaxy vs. San Jose Earthquakes.Photo by Steve McCrank/Staff Photographer
After signing with the Galaxy in January and joining the team in July, it didn’t take Steven Gerrard long to become a fan favorite.
The English midfielder had the second best-selling MLS jersey this season, coming in with the best-selling jersey among Galaxy players. Seattle’s Clint Dempsey topped the list for the second straight year.
Galaxy captain Robbie Keane came in 11th, with LA forward and U.S. national team member Gyasi Zardes coming in 15th. Giovani dos Santos, the Galaxy’s newest signing, came in 17th on the list.
See the full list below:
Continue reading “Four LA Galaxy players among top 20 in MLS jersey sales” »
Alan Gordon, pictured against Portland, scored the Galaxy’s only goal in the team’s 1-1 CONCACAF Champions League match against Comunicaciones on Wednesday.
With seconds separating them from the No. 1 seed in the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal, the Galaxy gave up the equalizing goal to Guatemala’s CSD Comunicaciones on Wednesday night, dropping the defending MLS champions from the first seed to the fifth in next year’s quarterfinals.
Rolando Blackburn tapped in the equalizer in the 93rd minute after Agustin Herrera beat both Todd Dunivant and Baggio Husidic on the right side. It was the third straight game in which the Galaxy conceded a goal in the 90th minute or later.
Continue reading “Galaxy give up late equalizer in CONCACAF Champions League game, settle for tie” »
AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu
The Galaxy already clinched their CONCACAF Champions League group last month, so tonight’s matchup against CSD Comunicaciones (7 p.m./FOX Sports Plus) is just for seeding in next year’s quarterfinals.
After the game against Portland on Sunday, head coach Bruce Arena said he will likely leave all the starters at home to prepare for Sunday’s crucial game against Sporting Kansas City.
Along with the final CCL group game Wednesday, Galaxy fans should be keeping an eye on SKC’s game against Colorado (5:30 p.m., MLS Live). The result could impact the Galaxy’s playoff seeding. If Sporting Kansas City wins or ties, then there’s a little extra pressure on the Galaxy to get points Sunday to get the second seed. (Of course, the easy solution for the Galaxy is that a win equals the No. 2 seed and a bye automatically.)
Continue reading “CONCACAF Champions League links: Galaxy starters rest with eye toward Decision Day” »
Ringo H.W. Chiu/AP Photo
The L.A. Galaxy’s once-impenetrable home fortress fell on Sunday, crashing in a 5-2 loss to Portland.
It was just the second time this season the Galaxy have lost at home, with the first one coming to Vancouver in April, and the most goals conceded by the Galaxy at StubHub Center in an MLS game since Sept. 12, 2009 when they gave up six in a loss to FC Dallas.
More stunning than the loss itself was how it came. There were five second-half goals conceded by the Galaxy, all of them within the final 25 minutes of the game. After scoring in the 36th minute, the Galaxy didn’t get another shot for a whole 30 minutes until Sebastian Lletget nodded one on frame in the 66th minute.
And all this in a game that the Galaxy wanted desperately for playoff seeding.
Continue reading “Morning after: Finding the Galaxy’s spot in the Western Conference playoff picture” »
AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu
Hit the jump for quotes from both teams provided by the LA Galaxy including LA Galaxy forward Robbie Keane, midfielder Steven Gerrard and defender Omar Gonzalez. Portland’s head coach Caleb Porter, midfileder Jorge Villafaña, midfielder Diego Chara and forward Fanendo Adi also met with the media.
Click here for video and transcript of Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena‘s press conference.
Continue reading “Quote sheet: Robbie Keane, Omar Gonzalez, Steven Gerrard on loss to Portland” »
AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu
Postgame notes provided by the LA Galaxy after the team’s 5-2 loss to Portland on Sunday.
- The loss marked the first defeat in the Galaxy’s last 11 matches in all competitions (nine MLS, two CONCACAF Champions League) at StubHub Center.
- It was only their second of the season, with the first coming against Vancouver.
- The Galaxy are now 6-4-4 against Portland Timbers FC all time in MLS competitions, scoring 28 goals in the 14 competitions played head to head.
- In home matches against Portland, LA has now gone a 5-1-2, scoring 19 goals while allowing nine.
- LA are 7-4-2 in their last 13 MLS competitions and 9-4-3 in their last 16 matches in all competitions.
- Forward Robbie Keane scored his 18th and 19th goals of the season.
- Keane has now scored 16 goals in his last 13 MLS matches
- In his LA Galaxy career, Robbie Keane has now has 72 goals and 43 assists in 107 MLS matches.
- Forward Giovani dos Santos started his ninth MLS regular season match for the Galaxy. He has recorded three goals and four assists.
- In 11 appearances across all competitions, Dos Santos has recorded four goals and six assists for LA.
- Head coach Bruce Arena made one change to the starting lineup that earned a 1-1 draw on the road against Seattle Sounders FC as defender Dan Gargan started in place of A.J. DeLaGarza.
- It was Gargan’s first start since July 25 on the road against Houston Dynamo.
- Substituting into the match during the second half, forward Jose Villarreal recorded his first MLS minutes for the Galaxy since July 4 against Toronto FC.
- In 33 MLS Regular Season games this year for the Galaxy, Bruce Arena has used the same starting XI eight times, featuring 25 different starting lineups.
- Making the start in central midfield, Juninho is now the only player to appear in all 33 Galaxy MLS matches this season.
- Goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, who was acquired from Orlando City in exchange for a 2016 MLS SuperDraft second-round selection this year, started his 10th consecutive match for the Galaxy.
- Ricketts is now 5-3-2 with LA this season in MLS play.