We’ve seen the stories suggesting ways to navigate Black Friday 2017.
We have a few more particular to UCLA fans who plan to attend Friday night’s game against Cal:
* Discount coupons will be not be honored for any purchase of a new head football coach.
* Do not arrive at the Rose Bowl before dawn expecting to bust any doors down for early tailgating. There will be nobody to let you in the parking lots.
* Bring comfortable flip-flops, sunscreen and sunglasses for the hours before 5 p.m.. If you can not afford sunglasses, some free ones may be provided by basketball team members.
* Bring heavy blankets, ear muffs and mittens for the hours after 5 p.m. If you can not afford any of these, stop by Dicks Sporting Goods to take advantage of Black Friday sales.
* A bowl-eligible Victory No. 6 will come at a cost. Be prepared to overpay.
All rankings from the latest College Football Playoff poll:
THE LOCALS (with No. 11 USC (10-2, 8-1) in a bye week)
* UCLA (5-6, 3-5) vs. Cal (5-6, 2-6) at the Rose Bowl, Friday, 7:30 p.m., FS1 (Chris Myers, Evan Moore)
In the latest bowl projections by Sports Illustrated, Cal wins and goes to the Heart of Dallas Bowl on the Tuesday after Christmas, meaning UCLA stays home. The latest guesses at ESPN.com has Cal staying home and UCLA’s win putting it in either the Dec. 20 Frisco Bowl or Dec. 23 Birmingham Bowl, both which smell of desperation.
* Arizona (7-4, 5-3) at Arizona State (6-5, 5-3), Saturday, 1:30 p.m., Pac-12 Net (Roxy Bernstein, Yogi Roth, Jill Savage)
ASU’s Todd Graham is reportedly “coaching for his job” in this Territorial Cup. The home team has won the last four meetings. Arizona leads the overall series, 49-40-1.
* Oregon State (1-10, 0-8) at Oregon (6-5, 3-5), Saturday, 4 p.m., ESPN2 (Roy Philpott, Tom Ramsey, Alex Corddry)
The Ducks lead the Civil War, 63-4-10, but lost the matchup last year.
* No. 13 Washington State (9-2, 6-2) at No. 17 Washington (9-2, 6-2), Saturday, 5 p.m., Channel 11 (Joe Davis, Brady Quinn, Bruce Feldman)
The Huskies could win 10 games and have no dibs on the Pac-12 North because one of its two losses was to Stanford in Week 11 on 11/11.
* No. 21 Stanford (8-3, 7-2) vs. No. 8 Notre Dame, Saturday, 5 p.m., Channel 7 (Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit, Maria Taylor)
The Cardinal could fall out of the Top 25 after this but still win the Pac-12 North. Meanwhile, it wouldn’t be the first time this year that the Irish embarrass a Pac-12 foe.
* Colorado (5-6, 2-6) at Utah (5-6, 2-6), 7 p.m., FS1 (Guy Haberman, Petros Papadakis)
Each seeks a bowl-eligible sixth win, but both have lost two in a row. The Buffaloes have lost six of their last eight and the Utes have lost six of their last seven. Why would any deserve a bowl, then?
THE BEST OF THE REST
* Mississippi at No. 14 Mississippi State, 4:30 p.m., ESPN (Dave Flemming, Greg McElroy, Laura Rutledge) Continue reading “College football Week 13 in the L.A. TV market: A bleak UCLA predicament on Black Friday” »