It’s amazing how many people want to talk about football all flippin’ year. I admit, it’s never far from my mind. It seems to be what excites our office and readers most. I know it’s early and this Top 10 is definitely subject to change. Here’s what in my estimation is the top teams in the east SGV.
1. Charter Oak – How many sophomores got PT last year?
2. West Covina – First few Mater Dei fans have already arrived.
3. Bishop Amat – Supposedly talented, soon-to-be junior class.
4. Damien – QB Mendrun could be tops in the area.
5. Covina – Offense should be amazing.
6. Rowland – Dynamic senior class returning.
7. South Hills – Obviously, the Huskies will reload.
8. Los Altos – James Davis transferring out hurts.
9. Wilson – Not so sure the ‘Cats shouldn’t be higher.
10. Diamond Ranch – Don’t want to hear it … the schedule will take its toll.
I can find 99 reasons why I like CO this season. But one will do – DEFENSE.
You might be wondering where Ayala, Chino and Chino Hills are. I am going to re-evaluate our coverage of those schools and Claremont. I will ask the boss, aka sports editor Doug Spoon, if he wants to keep it going. Some people like it, some people don’t. I know quite a few people are getting the Trib in racks out in the Chino Valley. For now, this Top 10 will include only the core Tribune schools.
As always, feel free to discuss. Tell me where I went wrong, even though I don’t think I did. If you’re sweating the email thing in the comment box, then make one up. This is an anonymous site in the true spirit of Al Gore’s Internet.