Above: Bonita wins big game over Charter Oak on Tuesday.
Girls Volleyball Top 10
1. South Hills (14-8) Huskies are closing strong
2. Los Altos (19-8) Travels to Bonita Thursday
3. Walnut (17-6) Upset Bonita last week
4. Bonita (13-3) Goes for outright league title vs. L.A.
5. Gladstone (19-9) Rolling through Montview League
6. Diamond Bar (16-10) Lost in five to St. Lucys
7. Bishop Amat (13-7) Seeks second-place finish
8. San Dimas (14-6) Saints are back on track
9. St. Lucys (11-10) On playoff bubble
10. Glendora (10-8) Needs big week
Rankings are based on matches played through Oct. 29
Comments: This was the toughest week to rank our top 10. Walnut’s upset of Bonita last week threw the rankings into a big scramble, but made it clear that the top four are separated by a slot you couldn’t slide a credit card through. But someone has to be No. 1, and this week it is streaking South Hills, which have suddenly caught fire. As for the next three positons, I decided to fall back on my theory in rankings teams, which is that a season-long resume carries more weight than a one-game happening and that a loss to a lesser-ranked team trumps a win over a higher-ranked team. So with that in mind, Los Altos, Walnut and Bonita are No. 2, No. 3 and No.4, respectively. But they could very easily be 2a, 2b and 2c. … Gladstone, which is No. 5 this week, continutes to take care of business in the Montview League, although the Gladiators dropped their first game of the league season after being pushed to four games last week in a victory over Sierra Vista. Gladstone, which is 11-0 in league play, has won 33 of 34 games in the Montview League.
On Sunday afternoon (around noon), CIF playoff brackets will be released. Click on this link above to access all the playoff pairings. Steve Ramirez will have a story in Monday’s newspaper with all the local matchups.