After combing through scores and talking to a few coaches, I’ve come up with a new girls soccer top ten, which may or may not be a surprise. I don’t have records for all the teams, but this is what has been reported to Maxpreps.
What’s this: It got a little testy recently in a game between Bonita and Alta Loma, which ended in a 2-2 tie. The Bearcats are at least 3-2-2, but don’t have all their scores to include them in the top ten rankings.
1. Glendora (7-1-1) — The Tartans have been the most impressive so far, outscoring their opponents 17-3, which includes six straight shutouts and wins over JSerra, Claremont, Jarupa Valley and Diamond Ranch.
2. Bishop Amat (7-0-2) - What a huge surprise. I knew the Lancers had a group of talented freshman and that coach Ruben Gonzalez would eventually turn it around, but they own a 3-0 victory over Los Altos, and only have allowed five goals and have six shutouts on the young season.
3. St. Lucy’s (4-2-2) – Impressive wins over Katella, Rancho Cucamonga, and who can fault a loss to national power Upland, 5-2. The Regents also have beaten Northview, but lost a close game to Maranatha, a westside power, 2-1 in the Claremont tourney.
4. Los Altos (9-2) — Another huge surprise. After advancing to the championship of the La Mirada tournament, the Conquerors captured the Garey tournament title on Monday with a 2-0 victory over Magnolia behind a pair of goals from Malasia Avery.
5. Walnut (2-1) - Obviously they haven’t reported all their scores, but we know the Mustangs are among the area’s elite. Hint, hint, get up to speed over there in Mustang-land.
6. South Hills (6-3-2) – Our preseason No. 1 hasn’t lived up to it yet. They have impressive wins over Chino Hills, Don Lugo, but also a loss to San Dimas. They need to be more consistent to climb this list.
7. San Dimas (7-2-4) -- The Saints have been hit and miss but they’re scoring goals at a rapid pace, already with 43 in just 13 games. They’ve beaten teams they’re supposed to beat, but against St. Lucy’s in the Claremont tournament, they got beat 5-0.
8. Diamond Ranch (2-2-2) – Not sure if we have all the results, but they have a nice tie with Maranatha, a 2-0 loss to Glendora, but only have allowed five goals in the six games that have been reported.
9. Charter Oak (7-3-2) - Undefeated against area teams with wins over West Covina and Covina, but didn’t look good in season-opening 3-0 loss to Arcadia.
10. Baldwin Park (7-1-1) – The Braves have outscored their opponents 29-8, but their schedule has been friendly and their lone loss was a 3-2 setback against Rowland.