The Scouting Guru has been all over the San Gabriel Valley and beyond, and like always, he’s offered to share his thoughts, free of charge. Don’t hate, enjoy it for what it’s worth, which is one man’s opinion on the talent in the San Gabriel Valley.
Since I’m taking the day off, here is the Guru’s New Year’s gift to you. This is a updated Top-20 list of the HS non-committed players from the Inland Empire and the Valley. He also has graded out the MT.SAC players and have placed them on the list accordingly. Things change on a week to week basis and he will keep you abreast of the situation. But here is the Guru’s board as of December 31, 2008.
Above: Former South Hills and Mt. SAC quarterback Nick Lamaison is No. 3 on the Guru’s list after throwing for more than 3,500 yards.
1) Michael Phillip – OLT – Arroyo Valley – What else can be said for the best lineman in the Inland Empire with offers from every Pac-10 school except SC. Whoever gets him gets a stud.
2) Lester White – FS – JW North – Has offers from Boise St, Arizona State, Oregon St. and others. Many, including us, have big-time character issues with the kid, but as one D-1 HC said recently, “He is a NFL player…no question about it.”
3) Nick Lamaison – QB – Mt. SAC — Looking for the best QB in area? With apologizes to Cameron Deen and Chris Allen, THIS IS THE BEST QB AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW. He was JC Grid Wire All-America, CCCFCA Region III offensive player of the year and threw for more than 3,500 yards. One D-1A school wants to trip him out in January. He has really made a name for himself at Mt. SAC.
4) Gavin Pascarella – OLT – Corona Centennial – Boise St offered the kid and then pulled it in the fall when they got a commit from an OLT named Jake Broyles in Vegas. Needs to add on some weight and was not 100% at the end of the season. He’s projects well with a spread offense.
5) Dominic Gaisie – CB – Mt. SAC – BYU just offered the kid and the University of Washington is rumored to be wanting to trip the kid out in January. Even though he is 5-9 1/2, he really shined out well for SAC this year and will be an impact player at the next level. Gives hope to the undersized DB’s that can cover and tackle.
For the rest of the list, click thread.
6) Gary Walker – CB – Redlands East Valley – A transfer from Rialto. He’s was the best defensive player on the field for REV. Idaho offered the kid and we are trying to find out if ASU offered. A really athletic defensive back that most likely will play safety at the next level. Nice prospect.
7) Vince Minor – RB – Etiwanda – Was offerd by San Diego State. Saw him play in person twice with a ton of film on him and he stood out as the best offensive player on the field. Charter Oak fans can attest to that. Good size and explosion.
8) Cameron Deen – QB – South Hills – 2x 1st Team All-CIF selection threw for 2200 yards this year and will be tripping out to Northern Colorado in late January. What else can be said for a player that arguably was the best offensive player on the field for SH this year.
9) Vincent Federico – DT – Mt.SAC – A bonuce back from New Mexico, Arizona has offered him and several other schools are very interested in the prospect this late in the game. Bishop Amat grad had one of his better years this year and was a true force on the defensive line.
10) Gregory Smith – DE – Citrus Hill – Unusual in that this is a 5th year HS senior and apparently will qualify through the NCAA. Good looking kid with a nice motor. UTEP has offered the kid.
11) Matt Shinn – OLT – Los Osos – Sports an offer from Montana St. Great senior film. We think that he is a D-1A lineman. He’s that much more improved. Bishop Amat fans can attest to his performance back in week 0.
12) Brent Seals – LB/SS – Bishop Amat – This was the best player on the field for Amat this year. Love the kid. He has several grant-in-aid offers from the Ivy’s. There is one D-1A school that is thinking really hard about tripping the kid in January.
13) Kyle Salm – OLT – San Dimas — Not really high on the kid. He has a nice upside in the fact that he is 6-6, 290. But he needs to work on his flexibility and his foot work. Idaho has offered him. Don’t see anyone else coming into the game this late in the process.
14) Kyle Lengyel, LB – Diamond Ranch – Best defensive player on the field for them this year. A true stud that projects to being an outside backer at the next level. Has an offer from Air Force. Coaches had little problem making him a first-team All-CIF player.
15) Richard Spencer, DB – Rancho Verde – A nice zone corner with good athletic skills. We have confirmed the offer from Reno, but he reportedly has an offer from UTEP. In a year that is loaded with quality DB’s, add him to the list.
16) Manoa Lua, FS,Mt. SAC – On film he is a pleasure to watch. Very football smart and clearly understands the game well. If we are a lower D-1A program, we’d be after this kid in the spring.
17) Ben Letcher – DE – Corona Centennial – All you have to do is watch the Mater Dei game (espeically the 4th period) and know that this guy can play at the next level. He has the size, speed and arm length to play at DE.
18) Alfred Rowe – LB – Mt. SAC – He was a bounce-back from USC and has not played really well for anyone in the PAC to get back on him. He has the talent, he just hasn’t put all together.
19) Anthony Whitlow, LB – Corona Centennial – Has shined the second half of the season and really played well in the Sectional final against Chaparrel. Moving up on a lot of boards.
20) Albert Cid – OLT – West Covina – Can’t believe that he doesn’t have an offer. He was the best lineman in the SGV and was given every award accordingly…first team all-CIF, all-area, etc. He can play all three positions on offense and we think he can play a nice 3-tech on defense. A true diamond in the rough.