GLENDORA UPDATE: Northview followed its 4-3 win over Bonita with a 13-2 win over Murrieta Valley on Tuesday. Now all they probably need is a win over Claremont on Thursday to reach Saturday’s championship. RJ Arnold hit his second homer and had three RBI’s for Northview. Eddie Pedroza went five innings to get the win. Bonita goes to 1-1 after 10–6 win over Crescenta Valley.
TOP-TEN POLL: Big changes after the season preview. Northview and Bishop Amat will keep the top two sports, despite Bishop Amat’s big loss on Monday against Diamond Ranch. Damien and Glendora move up the list along with Diamond Ranch and Diamond Bar. South Hills, starting 1-3, drops from No. 3 to No. 8., and Charter Oak and Azusa drop out of the top ten. Nogales is the biggest surprise addition, opening the season with back-to-back shutouts.
Glendora baseball off to a quick 2-0 start in own tournament, facing 2-0 Diamond Ranch on Thursday with the winner likely playing in Saturday’s championship.
Northview 13, Murrieta Valley 2
Ayala 6, Claremont 5
Bonita 10, Crescenta Valley 6
Alta Loma vs Dysart 3:30 Henderson
Bishop Amat vs Charter Oak 3:15 Glendora H.S.
Diamond Ranch vs Glendora 7:00 Henderson
Claremont vs Northview 3:30 Henderson
Ayala vs Crescenta Valley 7:00 Henderson
Murrieta Valley vs Bonita 7:00 Azusa Pacific Univ.
Baseball Top Ten Poll
1. Northview (1-0) – Huge opening 4-3 win over No. 3 Bonita. Great pitching by both, but again, the Vikes find ways to pull it out. Facing Murrieta Valley tonight will be an even tougher test.
2. Bishop Amat (1-1) – Okay, so the Lancers lose 12-11 marathon in eight innings against Diamond Ranch. I’m sorry, but this is a small chink in the armor. The problems were supposed to be hitting though, not pitching.
3. Damien (2-0) — A pair of one-run wins over Palm Springs and Miller to open the Chino tournament. They get Kaiser tomorrow.
4. Glendora (2-0) — Sort of a surprise, beating two solid teams. The winner of Glendora-Diamond Ranch on Thursday will likely play for the Glendora tourney title on Saturday.
5. Diamond Ranch (2-0) — They may not have the pitching, but if they keep out-slugging teams like Bishop Amat, they will be fine.
6. Diamond Bar (2-0) — The biggest surprise so far, following a 12-7 win over Long Beach Wilson with a 3-1 win over Villa Park to start 2-0 in the Loara tournament.
7. Bonita (0-1) — Played No. 1 Northview tough, second round robin against Crescenta Valley tonight.
8. South Hills (1-3) — First Shirley declared ineligible, then Huskies lose first three games (Don Lugo, swept by Ayala) before finally beating Arroyo, 11-0. Is this a sign of things to come?
9. San Dimas (1-1) — 14-2 win over Colony, then a 13-2 loss to Chino Hills. Hmm, maybe we’ll know more after the Don Lugo tournament.
10. Nogales (2-0) – How interesting, the open witha pair of wins in the Costa Mesa tournament over Warren and Orange, both shutouts.
Others of note: Charter Oak (1-1), Azusa (0-0)