Top 10 Rankings: Bonita continues to be the team beat, keeping the foot on the floor with victories over intra-district rival San Dimas and Los Altos. Northview continues to hold onto the second spot, but we have a few shuffling through the rest of the field as Damien moves up to No. 3 after a big win over Chino Hills. Nogales rides the arm of Andrew Melchor to No. 4, while Glendora, Bishop Amat and San Dimas drop a few positions. The rest of the top 10 is rounded out by Diamond Bar, South Hills and new entry Charter Oak.
Games to watch:
Today: Baldwin Park at Northview; Glendora at Damien;
Wednesday: Walnut at Nogales
Thursday: San Dimas at Northview
Friday: Charter Oak at Bonita
Top 10 Rankings
1. Bonita (5-1) – It seems to be a two-race battle between the Bearcats and Vikings, and my gut says Northview is the better club, but Bonita, after being moved to No. 1 last week, did nothing to drop, and I won’t penalize the Bearcats after a good win over San Dimas. The big game is Friday against Charter Oak.
2. Northview (5-1) – The Vikings just continue to roll. They had the one hiccup against Claremont, but toyed with Pomona last week in going 2-0 for the week. They get to test Baldwin Park today before taking on San Dimas on Thursday.
3. Damien (4-1) – The Spartans showed they are for real. It wasn’t that they beat Chino Hills, but how easily. Now they get renew their rivalry with Glendora.
4. Nogales (7-2) – Andrew Melchor is as good as it gets from the hill, and he proved it with a solid outing in a 2-1 victory over South Hills. The Nobles now need to take care of business.
5. Glendora (4-3) – It was a tough week for the Tartans, who were hammered by Diamond Bar, then split with Don Lugo, and it’s not like the Conquistadors still have Chad Cordero.
6. Bishop Amat (4-3) – The Lancers took a major hit, being whitewashed by Chatsworth before following with victories over Cantwell and Southgate.
7. San Dimas (4-2) - The Saints get to prove their worth when they face Northview on Thursday.
8. Diamond Bar (4-3) - The Brahmas, who have given the Valley some of its most-talented players over the years, showed they are capable of challenging in the Sierra League with a big win over Glendora. But it gets tougher with a home encounter against Ayala today.
9. South Hills (4-4) - The Huskies split two games with Nogales in a week where they could have been 2-0 or 0-2. They get a test on Friday against Walnut.
10. Charter Oak (5-3) – Welcome back, Chargers! Charter Oak showed its ready to defend its crown with a sweep of Diamond Ranch. But a matchup against top-rated Bonita awaits on Friday.