Girls Softball top ten rankings
1. Glendora (6-2) – It’s almost embarrassing that the Tartans only have played eight games. It has definitely hurt their CIF ranking, meaning that’s why they’re not ranked in Div. II after reaching the title game last year. Only one game since the San Dimas tournament? C’mon, turn ‘em loose
2. Los Altos (10-4) – The Conquerors were idle last week, but jump back to No. 2 after the Bearcats’ slip against South Hills. There is only one game that truly matters, the rubber match at Bonita on April 30 for what should be the league title.
3. Bonita (14-3-1) – They were looking so good, moving all the way to No. 4 in the Division III rankings then, wham, South Hills beats them 4-1, then they tie the second game of a doubleheader, 7-7 against the Huskies. It just goes to show, the closer you get to the top, the more others want to knock you off.
4. San Dimas (8-3) – The Saints also were idle last week, but take a five game winning streak into games against Ganesha, then Covina on Friday. I might cover that Covina-San Dimas game. Can the Colts pull a South Hills on the Saints?
5. Sierra Vista (11-1) – I wish they were updating their stats like last year, but boy, this is getting really impressive. We will find out all we need to know this weekend when they open against Harvard-Westlake in the Charger Classic.
6. Bishop Amat (8-8) – After a tough 16 games, they continue with more tough games ahead against El Modena, Saugus, and Carson. Too bad they weren’t in any local tournaments, I would have love to see how they matched up.
7. South El Monte (8-4) – A pair of victories over El Monte and Mountain View continues the the Eagles’ resurgence. Now they get Rosemead and Arroyo this week.
8. South Hills (10-6-1) – Oh my, they didn’t just crack the top ten, they plowed right into it with Saturday’s win and tie against Bonita. The Huskies are unbeaten in six straight, and one of the most improved over the last month. They host Los Altos tomorrow.
9. Walnut (6-4) – Their last game was a 6-0 loss to Rowland. I know they beat South Hills 3-2, but that seems so long ago now. The race for the San Antonio is tight, it should be fun covering it down the stretch.
10. Covina (6-4) – No movement from the Colts, they pick it up this week against Pomona then San Dimas. A sweep would surely move them up a few notches.
Charter Oak tourney: Saturday’s Charter Oak tournament first round games. The second games of the knockout bracket also are on Saturday. These games are in order, so pair them two at a time and you can tell who matches up in the second round.
Los Osos vs. Monrovia at San Dimas, 9 a.m.
Ontario Christian vs. Covina at San Dimas, 9 a.m.
Pomona Catholic vs. Montebello at San Dimas, 11 a.m.
Santa Fe vs. San Dimas at San Dimas, 11 a.m.
Glendora vs. Sacred Heart at Charter Oak, 9:30 a.m.
Temple City vs. South El Monte, at Charter Oak, 9 a.m.
Harvard Westlake vs. Sierra Vista at Charter Oak, 11 a.m.
El Rancho vs. Charter Oak at Charter Oak, 11:30 a.m.