Above: San Dimas’ Ariel Shore. If there is a better leadoff hitter in the Valley, I haven’t seen her.
Girls Softball top ten rankings
1. Glendora (10-2) – The Tartans beat Cantwell Sacred Heart and Temple City to reach the semifinals of the Charter Oak tournament, extending their winning streak to five. They still only have losses to Upland (split) and Etiwanda, and resume tournament action on Friday against El Rancho. In between, a couple of Sierra League games with nemesis, St. Lucy’s.
2. Bonita (15-3-1) – An easy 10-0 win over Diamond Ranch followed 0-1-1 showing against South Hills. After they brush aside Wilson and Charter Oak this week, mark you calendars a week from Thursday when Los Altos comes back to Bo-town. Not only will I predict the outcome, but I’ll give you the final score.
3. Los Altos (12-5) – After beating South Hills 12-0, the Conq’s beat a very good Redlands team 5-4 before losing to Torrance, 4-2 in the Corona Santiago tournament. On Saturday, the Conqs face Mighty Mater Dei in the tournament as well. Los Altos and BAmat have played the toughest schedules … by far.
4. San Dimas (13-3) – The winning streak is now at ten, and they already have punched a ticket to Saturday’s Charter Oak tourney title, facing the winner between Glendora-El Rancho. Please let this be Glendora, I would love to see how the new-and-imporoved Saints fare against our No. 1. Sorry, but the Valle Vista League doesn’t tell us much.
5. Bishop Amat (10-9) – Hey, at least they’re over .500 again. The Lancers went 2-1 last week with wins over El Modena and Saugus before a loss to a tough Carson squad.
6. Walnut (10-5) – We must pay closer attention in Nutsville. In the Whittier Christian tournament they beat a 9-4 Magnolia team, 10-0. Then they beat at 12-5 Riverside Christian squad, 2-1, before losing 5-0 to 13-1 El Segundo. And remember, they only lost to Bonita, 3-1. After Bonita, they’re most improved.
7. South El Monte (10-5) – With the Eagles No. 4 in the Div. VI rankings, don’t be surprised if they make a deep playoff run and they’re the only team we’re writing about near the end of the season. They are 2-1 in the Charter Oak tournament with a loss to Temple City.
8. Sierra Vista (12-2) – The Dons beat a struggling Harvard-Westlake team, then lost to El Rancho in the second round at Charter Oak, the same El Rancho that entered the tournament with a 3-10 record. Now, Sierra Vista’s coach explained that stud pitcher Brittney Flores didn’t pitch (injury), so again, what do we really know about the Dons?
9. South Hills (10-7-1) – Back to reality in 12-0 loss to Los Altos after split with Bonita. Let’s see what the recent results do to this young team’s confidence. With Walnut on the rise, and West Covina and Rowland respectable, the San Antonio is fun again.
10. St. Lucy’s (8-9) – Forget their overall record, their schedule is tough, so looks at the wins, which include a 4-2 decision over Bishop Amat, 4-3 win over Walnut and a 1-0 win over San Dimas. Yeah, they deserve to be here.