I’m expecting a big crowd at Bishop Amat this afternoon to watch the Lancers wrap up the Del Rey League title with a sweep over St. Paul. Can you believe they won at St. Paul (14-11, 7-2) so easily on Tuesday, 7-1, with the Swordsmen’s big ace on the mound? It should be more of the same, the Lancers (20-5, 9-0) are peaking. Nobody combines pitching, defense and hitting as well as the Lancers. Sorry Northview and San Dimas, I’m predicting right now the Lancers will win their third straight CIF title.
Steve’s take:I’ll be the devil’s advocate and go with Northview to beat Bishop Amat for the CIF-SS title. The Vikings have that never-quit attitude, which usually comes into play in the big games. They remind me of the 2004 Cal State Fullerton Titans, who had that same mentality on the collegiate level. And if memory serves me well, the Titans upset No. 1 Texas to win the national title that year.
By the way, I was looking at the Star-News baseball poll, and figured I would do an all encompassing baseball poll between our two area’s. A top 20 would look like this based on games through Thursday.
1. Bishop Amat (20-5, Tribune)
2. Northview (18-4, Tribune)
3. Glendora (16-7, Tribune)
4. Arcadia (18-4, Star-News)
5. San Dimas (17-5, Tribune)
6. Damien (18-6, Tribune)
7. Bonita (16-5, Tribune)
8. Monrovia (15-7-1, Star-News)
9. South Hills (16-7, Tribune)
10. Charter Oak (15-7, Tribune)
11. Alhambra (15-7, Star-News)
12. San Marino (15-7, Star-News)
13. La Caada (15-5, Star-News)
14. Temple City (14-9, Star-News)
15. Nogales (19-7-1, Tribune)
16. Diamond Bar (12-11, Tribune)
17. Maranatha (18-5-1, Star-News)
18. Pasadena (13-10-1, Star-News)
19. St. Francis (15-12, Star-News)
20. Bosco Tech (14-6, Star-News)