Workman, La Puente look like big time contenders for the Montview League title

By Steve Ramirez, Staff Writer
The Montview League has been a revolving door of sorts in recent years.
It’s not expected to change this season, where Workman comes in as the favorite to sit atop a league that has featured three different champions — Duarte, La Puente and Azusa — in each of the past three seasons.

Azusa used a senior-rich lineup to get to the top last season and the Lobos hope to follow the format.
“That’s our goal,” Workman coach Fred DeLileo said. “Anything short of a league title will be disappointing. We have a lot of experience, and we have to take advantage of that.”
The Lobos are also talented, and it starts with running back Kalin Bradford, who is expected to be the top returning running back in the league after rushing for 774 yards last season.
Workman also will feature quarterback Richard Camberos, running back Michael Silva and receiver Bobby Miles. The offensive like looks solid with Augustin Esparza, and Jesse Tu, while the defense will be led Alex Reyes at linebacker.
“We’re trying to not to worry about the hype and just get to work,” DeLileo said. “The league looks to very balanced again. I don’t see us having an easy game.”
Azusa, which advanced to the CIF-Southern Section quarterfinals for the first time since the 1970s last season, lost nearly its entire starting lineup to graduation. But second-year coach Joe Scherf likes the replacements.
The keys for the Aztecs will be running back JC Rosales, quarterback John Chavez and Alvaro Fregoso and Erik Anguiano, who lead the defense.
“If we come together like we did last year there is no reason why we should not be as good or better than last season,” Scherf said. “We put a lot of time into the weight room this off-season and feel we are much stronger than last year’s team.”
“We are a team that likes to rotate guys in and out at many positions. If all of our guys feel they contribute to the team on the field in some manner, then we feel we have a great chance of being successful.”
La Puente is two years removed from winning the league title. But although the Warriors struggled last season, there’s a lot of excitement with new coach Brandon Rohrer, who came over from Sierra League power Glendora.
The Warriors will be led by quarterback Garrett Hrey, running back Jose Perez and receiver Giovanni Rosales. Rohrer has brought over a spread offense that will also run some Winged-T formations.
“We’re just like any team in the league,” Rohrer said. “We’re working hard to win the league. We’re not here to finish last or finish third. We just have to do the work to put us in position to win.”
Duarte, which went to the CIF-SS semifinals three years ago, is in a transitional period as former Blair coach Lavell “Tip” Sanders has brought his act to the Falcons. He’s got a thin, but talented group that will rely on its speed and athleticism. But the Falcons will have to do it with a roster that includes just 21 players.
“We should start fast, then try to hang on in the fourth quarter,” Sanders said. “I like our defense. We have a lot of team speed, but we’re thin.
“I think we can come together and compete in the league. I think we can finish third.”
Duarte will be led by quarterback Tyrone Hall, lineman Ryan Haase and linebacker Daniel Noonan.
Gladstone, which also returns a senior-rich group, hopes to get back to some of the glory days of earlier this decade when the Gladiators annually competed for the league title. This year’s group is led by quarterback Dylan Duenas, quarterback Paul Flores and receiver Jesse Rodriguez.
“I think it’s wide open,” Gladstone coach Albert Sanchez said. “Hopefully, we can content and get back to where we used to be. But the league is strong. Azusa lot a lot of guys, but maybe winning is contagious. Workman looks good and La Puente has a new coach. It’s going to be very competitive.”
Bassett has struggled in recent years, but there’s optimism on the La Puente campus as coach Leon Ward has brought in offensive guru Tony Zane to help out.
He has some solid athletes to work with, including fullback/linebacker Andrew Verrela and running back Roy Noriega. Jacob Flores and Robert Rodriguez are competing to start at quarterback.
“I think our season can be really good if we can get the kids to commit,” Ward said. “They have to be dedicated if we want to be successful, and stay healthy. I thought we were close last year, and if we get that type of work, I can see us competing for a playoff spot.”
Sierra Vista should also be in the championship mix. The Dons are expected to be led by Nathan Carrillo (Sr. RB/LB), Corral Clemente (Sr. RB/LB), Jose Maldonado (Sr. TE/DB) and Mark Perez (Sr. QB/LB)
steve.ramirez@sgvn.com