Tribune Top Ten
1. Charter Oak (3-0) - We know the Chargers have offensive weapons, but the defensive is getting it done, allowing just 20 points in three games. Now comes the mother of all tests, Rancho Cucamonga.
2. Bishop Amat (2-0) - The gutty Little Lancers? Why not, they’re not the biggest on the D-Line, but they’re quick and have got it done two straight weeks. They need another win against Damien, then the schedule really gets difficult.
3. Glendora (1-1) - The last minute “drive” kept the Tartans from going 0-2. That’s the kind of win that sets the tone the rest of the season. They can finally put the Wallace Gonzalez situation to rest.
4. San Dimas (3-0) - Everyone talks about the big three coaches, Farrar, Bogan and Gano, but Bill Zernickow is right there. When you lose as much talent as they did and continue to win with authority, that says a lot about a coaching staff.
5. Rowland (2-0) – The Raiders made a huge leap to No. 2 in the Southeast polls. They haven’t beaten anyone worthwhile, but they have looked solid regardless.
6. South Hills (1-1) – We have seen this before, a slow start, tough schedule, this is nothing new to the Huskies who are still sorting themselves out. They get Pac-5 Tesoro on Thursday, and fortunately, Tesoro isn’t what it use to be.
7. Walnut (2-0) - The Mustangs have just beat two opponents with a combined record of 0-5, but they’re averaging over 40 points and doing it in dominating fashion.
8. Baldwin Park (3-0) — When you look at their schedule, if they beat 0-3 Bonita on Friday, they could go 9-0 before facing San Dimas at the end of the season. If the Saints beat Monrovia, they could both be 9-0 when they meet.
9. Damien (1-2) – They needed a victory over Claremont in the worst way, and got it with a 24-0 convincing victory. If they defeat Bishop Amat this week, the confidence is back.
10. Wilson (2-0) – I bet nobody thought the Wildcats could make the top ten this season, but after defeating 2-0 Glenn, they deserve it. Can we say Brian Zavala is the early coach of the year candidate?
The Middle 10
11. Arroyo (2-0), 12. Diamond Ranch (1-2), 13. Workman (3-0), 14. West Covina (0-3), 15. Rosemead (1-1), 16. Los Altos (1-1), 17. Nogales (2-1), 18. Sierra Vista (2-0), 19. La Puente, 20. Azusa (2-1).
On the bottom looking up
21. Gladstone (2-1), 22. Bonita (0-3), 23. Covina (1-1), 24. Bassett (2-1), 25. Diamond Bar (0-2), 26. Northview (0-2), 27. El Monte (0-2), 28. South El Monte (0-3), 29. Mountain View (0-3), 30. Ganesha (0-3), 31. Mountain View (0-3), 32. Duarte (0-3)