Boys Hoops: Emotions out of control as Northview pulls out a 59-56 win over San Dimas after nearly blowing nine-point lead in final five minutes

A forgettable scene in the moments following Northview High Schools’ 59-56 victory over San Dimas will be addressed on Monday, Saints vice principal Rita Kear said – an ugly way to end a thrilling comeback that came up short for the Saints. A series of calls — including back-to-back technicals — were simply to much for Saints boys basketball coach Bruce Robbins to stomach in the seconds following Northview’s victory. (To continue, click thread)

South Hills pounds Nogales, 80-50
Bonita routs Los Altos, 71-28
Chino Hills rallies past Damien, 54-46

Robbins hurried across the court after the officials as they were exiting the building, with guard K.J. Byrd following close behind and several others from the Saints bench rushing over as well.
Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed as coaches and administrators cleared what could have turned into a much uglier situation.
Vikings coach Ron Rice was almost at a loss for words as the Vikings blew a nine-point lead with 4:15 left, then recaptured it with seven big free throws down the stretch to pull it out.
Northview, looking for its fourth straight Valle Vista League title, improved to 12-7 and 2-0 while the Saints dropped to 9-8 and 1-1.
“I’m not sure what happened to tell you the truth, there was so much going on,” Rice said. “There were poor plays, good plays, big calls by officials going both ways.
“But I don’t know what to make of the ending, it was just chaos.”
With the Saints trailing 52-43 with less than five minutes left, Chris Barbato and Byrd hit back-to-back 3-pointers, and a couple steals and conversions gave the Saints a 53-52 lead with 1:49 left.
After the Vikings took the lead back 54-53 on a pair of free throws, Barbato, who finished with a game-high 19 points, hit a 3-pointer to give the Saints a 56-54 lead with 1:27 left.
Barbato then appeared to get a quick steal, but was called for a foul on Vikings guard Zack Ward.
That was one of several calls down the stretch that irked Robbins as Ward made both free throws to tie the game, 56-56 with 1:18 left.
After a turnover and another call went against the Saints, a technical was called on Barbato, then another technical on Barbato who kept arguing the play, resulting in four free throws and the ball for Northview.
Ward made two of the four at the stripe, giving the Vikings a 58-56 lead with 48 seconds left.
Leading 59-56 after a Kameron Germany free throw with 26 seconds left, the Saints had a final chance to tie it, but Byrd’s 3-pointer came up short and was knocked toward mid-court as the final seconds ticked away.
The Saints called timeout in hopes of getting it back, but the officials ruled they never had possession and ended the game, which is when Robbins hustled over to the officials.
“At times it felt like we were playing against more than five guys on the floor,” Robbins said. “I wasn’t (going after) the officials, I wanted to talk, but it was emotional, and looked worse than it was, I think.”
Kear, however, addressed what happened.
“Our coaches and students were frustrated with some calls and our coach went to talk to the ref and … he was upset with the officials obviously,” Kear said. “But there is no excuse for what happened, we don’t tolerate that.”
The Vikings received a game-high 16 points from Brian Johnson and had to rally from a 31-20 second-quarter deficit by scoring the final seven points of the half to make it 31-27 at the break.
“The spurt before halftime with the press was the key for us, that got us back in the game,” Rice said. “I thought that kind of carried us through the third quarter and into the fourth, then it was just a who-wanted-it-more game in the final minutes.”

• Steve Ramirez

Fred for got one – the next Eric Wattree, who I believe walked into the Northview gym once.

• Football 24/7

To All!

The first football game is 231 days away!

• you r correct steve

I can’t believe I said that but steve you are correct. Erik walked the hall at northview for 3years. Beginning in 1989. He ended up at Wyoming and then Azusa Pacific University. Probably not the best player to ever walk the halls though. Before the 3 point line tim lakose played in the late 80′s and was, in my opinion the best I ever saw at Northview and I have been watching since about 1980. He would have scored 30 or more points per game if there had been a line. He is now the head girls coach at Cal State Bakersfield and doing a great job! Keep up the good work boys it is always good to log on and see quality work like this.

Bob Wingett

• Northview Alumni

Tonight the San Dimas Coach showed us why we can’t stand San Dimas Athletics and what they represent. Coach… what a great way to represent yourself, your team, and your school. No class.
    #20 was acting just what he was taught by his coach… Horrible!

GREAT JOB NORTHVIEW!! GO VIKINGS!!

• La Bamba

Wingett, haven’t heard from you since last year’s APU showcase. Are you coming down from the Rocky Mountain Tundra this year?? Also have you been working on them 30 foot shots???

• Bruce Robbins

I’m not sure how many people will see this, but I would like to apologize to the Northview coaches and players and to the San Dimas community. No matter my reasons for following the officials, I was in the wrong.

• james626

It’s H.S. athletics for Gods sakes LOL

• athletically motivated

…from the LA Times.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/varsitytimesinsider/2010/01/baseball-christian-lopes-headed-to-edison.html

Baseball: Christian Lopes headed to Edison
    January 15, 2010 | 2:01 pm

Call it the blockbuster transfer for 2010.

Christian Lopes, a junior shortstop at Valencia who’s considered a potential first-round draft choice for 2011, checked out of school on Friday and is expected to enroll at 2009 Southern Section Division I runner-up Huntington Beach Edison, Valencia Coach Jared Snyder said.

Also joining Lopes is his brother, Tim, an outstanding sophomore infielder. They’re expected to enroll at Edison when school resumes on Tuesday.

If it happens, Edison will become the overwhelming favorite to win the Division I title. The Chargers already return junior pitcher Henry Owens, considered the top Southland pitching prospect for 2011, and junior outfielder Eric Snyder, a UCLA commit.

Edison Coach Steve Lambright said his athletic director told him several weeks ago about an inquiry from the Lopes family but nothing official had happened.

“He’s the best player we’ve ever coached or seen,” Jared Snyder said. “He’ll be missed.”

– Eric Sondheimer

• FredJ

I would also like to mention that coach Rollins called me later Friday night and was sincerely apologetic for how the game ended …

• Pao

Are we really talking about Northview Basketball? The Valle Vista League and the whole valley sucks in basketball.

• sd fb coach

Wow this is an interesting thing to say. What do you think our sports program represents? I know for a fact that we are trying the very best we can. Thanks for your input. It is nice to see what some one really thinks of you. I know for a fact our football coaches called off the dogs in our football game out of respect for Jim and the rest of the staff. When we see how you really feel thats a little sad. I’ll pass this on to the rest of our sport department:

“Northview Alumni said:

GREAT JOB NORTHVIEW!! GO VIKINGS!!”

• Grim Reaper

that San DiNo-Mas coach may better be thinking about “other options” as the chant of the “we want to move in a different direction” beckons…you really schtoopflagenhaghd it up this time…Bonita can only benefit! KH where are you???

• Bobby Knight

The guy was outta control, no doubt about it, but so was Northview coach Ronald Rice during the Christmas Tournament when he was thrown outta the game for two T’s and went after refs after the game. Why no comments about that?

• football

Slow your roll sdfb coach, I think you’re forgetting one of your players made a slashing motion across his neck as he pranced in front of the Northview bench toward the end of the game. Maybe that’s what that comment was referring to.

• Rock Johnson

Are we still predicting that Damien is going to run away with the league title?

• anonymous

If that is really a post from Coach Robbins, I applaud you. It is of course always to stay in control in the first place, but at least you are owning the mistake and apologizing for it. Maybe the girls coach at Monrovia can take note.

• Bonita

hahaha. We don’t care too much about SDHS basketball. They are not going to beat us for a long time. And yes, why no comments about the NV comments at the Christmas tournament.

• BigBlue

Typical San Dimas. Admin. (Kear in the paper tries to appologize then says but this and but that….what a joke) The coaches are a joke too. The only class act over there are the football, baseball, and softball coaches. Oh yeah, those are also the only programs to win a CIF championship recently. SD Admin. you guys are a joke. If you had any clue this would have never happened.

Hey Bonita unified… hire those Head coaches as Assistant principals and then maybe you guys would actually get respect. You don’t even know that it is stuff like this that makes you the most hated school in the SGV. I could see Regan and Zernickow AP’s. The school has a horrible image outside of San Dimas. Sorry to burst you bubble.

• just sayin’

Looks like San Dimas administration walked the walk. They suspended the head coach for todays game vs Ontario (which San Dimas won big anyway). Amat/Charter Oak immediately following. Looks to be a good day of basketball in “The Cave” at Los Osos.

• Joe Amat

Watching Mater Dei play HS basketball on ESPNU vs legendary DeMatha HS form Maryland. Tyler Lamb from Mater Dei and headed to UCLA is the best player on the floor, His father and twin uncle played at Bishop Amat in the 80′s.

That shows the state of basketball at Amat over the past 4 years. Could be elite – instead we haev just another decent HS team every few years. Tyler has a sister that attends West Covina… and yet one of the best players in the country travels to Santa Ana to play basketball. Years back he was set on being a Lancer under Coach Lokar, who was an assistant when Tyler’s dad played. Lokar’s no longer at Amat, they downgrade coaches, create a crappy schedule, in awful tournaments …. so no Lamb either.

Imagine the Lancers with a 6’5″ guard and probably the rest of his travel buddies? We might even be able to schedule some real teams and put people into that beautiful gym. They’d be on their way to another title – and may have had another since the last on in ’02. I have mentioned that was the last upper division boys basketball CIF Championship won in the SGV – didn’t I?

• covinaballer33

about the covina christmas tournament when rice got two T’s, he didn’t go after the refs like he was gonna punch them…he just yelled at him and that same ref has been giving him trouble since i been around the last 8 years…there hasnt been a game that the white bald old ref has reffed where rice didnt get a T.

• http://stopsweatingnaturally.info/ Stop Sweating Naturally

Hello, That was a good post thank u very much for sharing this information with everybody.