Basketball Notes: Gutierrez the state leader in girls blocks; Adams, Smith, Serrano and Gomez are McDonald All-American nominees

The El Monte High School girls basketball team might be struggling to a 7-11 overall record and fighting to stay in the hunt for the Mission Valley League title with a 3-1 record, but imagine how worse it could be if not for 6-foot-2 senior center Sandra Gutierrez protecting the lane. (To continue click thread)

Below: Glendora’s Calvin Smith one of four area players to receive prestigious McDonalds All-American nomination.

Gutierrez’s numbers are interesting. She’s flirting with averaging a triple-double for the season by averaging 9.6 points, 13 rebounds and

8 blocks per game.

In Wednesday’s 44-14 victory over Mountain View, Gutierrez had nine blocks to make her the California state leader in blocks with 137. She moved past Lawndale’s Melissa Betty, who is second with 130.

She also recorded the 400th block of her career with the nine-block effort and became one of only a few to reach that career milestone and put her within reach of the top five marks for career blocks in California history.

Harbor City Narbonne’s Ebony Hoffman is fifth all-time in career blocks with 496, certainly within Gutierrez’s reach if she continues at her current pace.

Gutierrez hasn’t had fewer than six blocks in any game this season, and had a season-best 13 blocks in a December loss to San Marino. She’s had 10 or more blocks four times.

“What makes her accomplishment more impressive is that those in the top five were four-year varsity players and she is only in her third,” El Monte coach Brian Tabatabai said.

McDonald’s nominees

Only a select few will take part in the prestigious McDonald’s All-American senior boys and girls basketball showcase on March 31 in Columbus, Ohio, but to receive a nomination is quite an accomplishment as well.

Four area players received that honor earlier this week. Damien’s Chris Adams, Glendora’s Casey Smith and Workman’s Bobby Miles-Serrano were three of 45 players nominated in California.

South Hills’ Melinda Gomez was the lone area player to be nominated on the girls side.

fred.robledo@sgvn.com

626-962-8811, ext. 2161

• boomer

Say whaaaaaat? a lobo in the McDonalds all american game? When are people gonna finally give some credit to the lobos?

• bigdogballer

these players were nominated – about 3500 combined boys girls nation wide it does not mean they were selected to play in the game as all stars…Nevertheless, an honor just to be nominated

• Fish Wrap

The best player in the Sierra League, and has been for the past three years, is Derek Brown and he wasn’t nominated. Something is fishy.

• just sayin’

coaches nominate their players. most coaches who are diligent get their players as one of the 3500 nominees. my guess is the CH coach didn’t try hard to get it in.

• bigdogballer

the nomination process begins with a player being nominated by coaches, officals, ADs, or other person involved with the basketball program, club ball, or the school. The athlete has to be in good academic standing and a list is submitted to, I beleive Sports America Inc. who cks on the info and determines if the player is worthy of the recognition.

• Water Works

so you’re saying the system is now watered down