Above: Glendora slugger Audrie Becerra.
Tribune Softball Rankings
1. Glendora (6-1) - The Tartans didn’t win the San Dimas tournament, but they knocked off our No. 1 preseason team Bonita, along with a win over Los Altos. Plus, they have two worthy pitchers in the circle. The post-Waldusky era is looking bright.
2. Bonita (7-1) - The Palms Springs tourney champs still don’t have what it takes to top the Tartans, but they’re more than deserving to be ranked ahead of everyone else. Just wondering, why is every result on their Maxpreps page except for loss to Glendora? Was it because it was only five innings and they won’t count it, we have to check on that.
3. Charter Oak (7-2) - They clobbered Northview and lost close games to Etiwanda and Charter Oak. This is the most surprising team after the first two weeks of the season. Plus they just won two more games in the Jurupa tourney.
4. Los Altos (3-2) – This is what they will be all year, inconsistent, up and down. They’re capable of beating just about anyone, but they also won’t be able to skate past anyone either.
5. San Dimas (2-2) — We warned you that they traditionally get off to a bad start. What else is new, all you can say is you know they’re better than this — on paper at least. But in defense, their two losses were to Bonita and Burbank.
6. West Covina (5-2) – They sweep Northview and beat St. Lucy’s, but can’t handle the best from the Miramonte, pounded by Bonita and losing to Los Altos.
7. South Hills (4-1) — After an opening day loss to Los Altos, they win four straight, but didn’t beat anyone worth mentioning.
8. St. Lucy’s (3-2) — Impressive wins over Brea Olinda and Esperanza. They’re playing a tougher schedule than most, but did lost to West Covina.
9. Northview (3-3) – Another difficult to place team, they beat Los Altos rather easily, but you can’t ignore the sweeping loss by West Covina and pounding they took from Charter Oak.
10. Azusa (4-2) - With Veronica Ramirez pitching, they always have a chance. But they still have to hit and play defense, which has been their problems in the past.