Above: Los Altos pitcher Mike Luna.
Tribune Baseball Rankings
1. Bishop Amat (7-1) – After an incredible week in the Newport Elks tourney, they keep piling up big wins, beating Chatsworth 7-1 and pounding Palos Verdes Peninsula. When Paez is pitching, they’re truly one of the best, if not the best team in the state.
2. South Hills (6-1) — They deserve to jump back to No. 2 after beating West Covina, with a lone loss to Chino Hills. Looking at their schedule, they might not lose again until they face Bishop Amat on April 28. Oh wait, I forgot they have something called the National Classic inbetween. My bad.
3. Glendora (6-1) – The 1-0 loss at Diamond Bar was no knock at all, the Tartans have allowed two runs or less in six of their seven games. Pitching gets it done and they have it. The Tartans are built to go the distance.
4. Walnut — (4-1-1) – Along with Los Altos, another big surprise. They have a tie against Chino Hills and a 12-11 win over Diamond Bar. We should have had them ranked earlier, that was our mistake.
5. Diamond Bar (4-3) — The Brahmas can beat anyone when Kenny Mathews is pitching, but without him, they need to outslug teams, and they have the hitters to do that. The problem is, you’re going to lose games like they did to Walnut that way, 12-11.
6. Damien (4-2) -- Tough 7-6 loss to Chino Hills, not the way they wanted to open the Sierra League, and now they’re at Glendora on Wednesday. The league is brutal, there are no days off and it’s impossible to really predict games. Just play ‘em and see what happens.
7. Los Altos (6-1) – The No. 1 ranking in Div. III on MaxPreps was surprising considering they were ranked over South Hills, but they’re legit and probably the Miramonte favorites. They ended last year on a quarterfinal tear in the playoffs, and that confidence has caried over.
8. Gladstone (7-0) – Undefeated is undefeated. I don’t care if they’re a mid-major in our parts, they’re getting it done against who they line up against.
9. Northview (3-2-1) – Off all the pitchers in the Valley, lefty Eddie Pedroza is off to the best start. If only the Vikes had solid No. 2 pitching. Anyways, this should be good enough to give them the inside track in the VVL.
10. Bonita (3-2-1) -- Nice wins over Charter Oak and San Dimas, but the Chargers and Saints are having a tough year, so tough to make much out of it. Then there is the 19-3 loss to Claremont. This is why Los Altos is now the league favorite.