Girls Soccer All-Area: Bishop Amat’s April Juarez player of the year; Sierra Vista’s Steve Jimenez coach of the year after historic title run

It wasn’t the ending the Bishop Amat and Los Altos girls soccer teams envisioned, but the Lancers’ and Conquerors’ march to the CIF-Southern Section Division 4 semifinals certainly was memorable, topped only by the dream finish of CIF-SS Division 7 champion Sierra Vista. Not only did the Dons win the school’s first girls soccer title, it was the first CIF team championship in the school’s 49-year history. (To continue, click thread).

Click here to purchase All-Area soccer reprints.

Tribune Girls Soccer All-Area
Player of the year:
April Juarez, Bishop Amat, So8.
Coach of the year: Steve Jimenez, Sierra Vista
First Team
Forward: Khalalah Todd, Northview, Jr.
Forward: Vanessa Carlos, Sierra Vista, Sr.
Forward: Natalie Maxey, South Hills, Sr.
Midfield: McKenna Gooden, Charter Oak, Sr.
Midfield: Lauren Stupin, Los Altos, Jr.
Midfield: Lizbeth Rodriguez, Sierra Vista, Jr.
Midfield: Yazmin Montoya, Bishop Amat, Fr.
Defender: Jasmine Roth, Bishop Amat, Sr.
Defender: Lauren Velasquez, Los Altos, Sr.
Defender: Nicole McKee, Walnut, Jr.
Goalkeeper: Justine Padilla, Los Altos, Sr.

Second Team
Forward: Tara Cofer, Los Altos, Jr.
Forward: Kayla Mills, Walnut, Fr.
Forward: Brooke Lambert, San Dimas, Sr.
Midfielder: Amber Marani, Walnut, So.
Midfielder: Shannon McKee, San Dimas, Jr.
Midfielder: Shannon Kent, St. Lucy’s, So.
Midfielder: Tiffany Dimaculangan, Glendora, Jr.
Defender: Alyssa Cabral, Bishop Amat, So.
Defender: Maddy Ealba, Glendora, Sr.
Defender: Daniela Perez, St. Lucy’s, Sr.
Goalkeeper: Alyssa Lozano, Sierra Vista, Jr.

The Dons defeated top-ranked California Academy of Math and Science 4-3 in penalty kicks after a 1-1 tie in regulation and two sudden-death overtimes at Mission Viejo High.

And they won it despite not having midfield playmaker Lizbeth Rodriguez (knee injury). They finished the season 25-4 to earn Dons coach Steve Jimenez Tribune Coach of the Year honors.

“They deserved this moment,” Jimenez said afterward. “You see the tears, the emotion. They worked their butt off to raise that trophy.”

Bishop Amat’s previously undefeated season ended in a 1-0 loss to eventual Division 4 champion Sultana, but the Lancers (27-1-2) outscored their opponents 118-9 and were led by Del Rey League Player of the Year and Division 4 first-team selection April Juarez.

The sophomore simply was magnificent, a playmaker and finisher who led the area in scoring with 35 goals and 25 assists to earn Tribune Player of the Year honors.

“April had an incredible season and one that will be hard to match when you consider how many goals and assists she had,” Bishop Amat coach Ruben Gonzalez said.

“But not winning a title is going to keep her and the rest of our team hungry.

“She gained a lot of confidence and is almost too unselfish at times, but those are great qualities to have.”

The Tribune’s 2009-10 all- area first team is paced by a trio of talented forwards in Sierra Vista’s Vanessa Carlos, Northview’s Khalalah Todd and South Hills’ Natalie Maxey.

Carlos’ 30 goals and 20 assists earned her CIF-SS Division 7 Most Valuable Player honors in addition to being named the Montview League’s Most Valuable Player.

Todd, only a junior, led the area in goals with 47 and was the Valle Vista League’s Most Valuable Player after 13 multigoal games in one of the best goal-scoring campaigns in area history.

Maxey, who signed a letter of intent with UC Santa Barbara, capped a wonderful four- year career with the Huskies. She earned San Antonio League Most Valuable Player and CIF-SS Division 2 second- team honors after scoring 27 goals with four assists.

The area’s first-team midfield includes Los Altos’ Lauren Stupin, Sierra Vista’s Rodriguez, Charter Oak’s Mc- Kenna Gooden and Bishop Amat freshman Yazmin Montoya.

Stupin arguably was the area’s best outside midfielder after helping the Conquerors to a 25-2-2 record with a team-leading 26 goals and 15 assists.

Los Altos won the Miramonte League and advanced to the Division 4 semifinals. Stupin was named the Miramonte League’s Most Valuable Player and also was a CIF-SS Division 4 first-team selection.

Rodriguez was injured during her team’s championship game, but she was the midfield general on the best sports team in school history.

Rodriguez earned Montview League and Division 7 first- team honors after finishing with 21 goals and 27 assists.

Gooden was a midfield/forward with excellent finishing skills. She had 23 goals and three assists to earn Miramonte League first-team and Division 4 second-team honors.

There was no better freshman than Amat’s Montoya, a Del Rey League first-team selection who also earned Division 4 second-team honors after totaling 20 goals and 20 assists.

The area’s first-team defense is led by Arizona- bound sweeper Jasmine Roth of Bishop Amat, Lauren Velasquez of Los Altos, Nicole McKee of Walnut and Los Altos goalkeeper Justine Padilla.

Roth led a Lancers defense that not only allowed just nine goals but their 23 shutouts tied them with two others for third all-time in the CIF-SS record books along with Laguna Hills (1986-87) and La Serna (1996-97).

In fact, the Lancers’ 23 clean sheets were the most by a team this century, with All-Del Rey League first-team sweeper and Division 4 second-team standout Roth leading the back line.

Velasquez was just as valuable for Los Altos, a team that allowed just 10 goals and had 22 shutouts and tied the Conquerors for sixth all-time in CIF-SS shutouts with San Gorgonio, which had 22 in 1987-88.

Velasquez was named a Miramonte League first-team selection and CIF-SS Division 4 third-team pick.

McKee was part of a stingy Mustangs defense that boasted 17 shutouts and allowed just 11 goals to help earn McKee first-team All-San Antonio League honors.

Padilla earned Tribune first- team goalkeeper honors for the second consecutive year and finished second all-time in the CIF-SS record books for career saves with 528.

She finished with 22 shutouts and 150 saves this season and earned Miramonte League and Division 4 first-team honors.

fred.robledo@sgvn.com

626-962-8811, ext. 2161

• Carlos should have been Co-POY at least, she was incredible.

Tough that Carlos didn’t win POY considering how giant a step that was for Sierra Vista. The fact she was her Division’s POY and came up big time and time again and SV put together a once in a lifetime run that was made even more remarkable after losing a key player at the end. Great for the SV coach to earn COY and rightfully so but SV did it the right way, against all odds and did what no other area team was able to do, win when it mattered most.

Maybe SV had it right, they got little respect from area team teams and it showed with this selection. Bishop Amat had a juggernaut and lost, Los Altos had a fabulous team and lost Sierra Vista had a team with a dream…and they saw it all the way thru.

Congrats to all the girls. Soccer is a beautiful game and hopefully Fred takes more time reporting on a game he loves. This being a World Cup year let’s celebrate with the world “our” game.

• Be fair now

Cmon now, Sierra Vista got coach of the year, you want all the awards? Lets be fair to the other great teams in the area who did play in much tougher divisions. They weren’t playing California Math and science in championship games. Juarez had a better year than carlos hands down, you can’t take that away from her. You won a D-7 crown, don’t act like that takes precedent over everything else

• Anon

Fred,

I think you did a really good job naming the top girls soccer players in the area. You’re never going to keep everyone happy.

• So now it’s about level of competition?

There is a distinct difference in saying Carlos earned Co-POY and saying something dismissive as you said, “Lets be fair”. What is “fair” about your dismissive comment. “What do they want all the awards”?

“Want” has nothing to do with it. “Earned” is the key word here. AS in “earned” their Championship, “earned” their place in history and “earned” a little more respect than you’re giving them.

All things being equal, and yes they are all “equal” here, Bishop Amat plays their schedule and plays against like minded schools. Sierra Vista is no different. They played schools who put them down as a “W” and found out that wasn’t the case. They banded together and against all odds ,,,”WON”! Bishop Amat and Los Altos also banded together and against all odds…”LOST”. Isn’t that the fact truth? Wasn’t it going to be a Bishop Amat vs Los Altos Final?

What happened to “both” schools? While on the other hand Sierra Vista didn’t look past their opponents and made plans ahead of time and instead relied on their leaders and coaches to keep them focused on the task at hand….winning the “next” game until they were crowned CIF Champions.

When assessing POY it’s always tough, and who really wants Fred job, but this blog allows others to voice their support for those who may have been “equally”, if not more so…deserving, nothing more.

Bishop Amat is a well oiled sports machine. Pick a sport and you’ll see what I mean…they hire well…and they win. They hire poorly and they still compete. Sierra Vista did a remarkable job inspiring a whole community and showed everyone concerned why sports is such a unifying force.

Carlos “earned” no less than POY…in fact her Division got it right and she had that. Did Juarez win POY in her division?….all things being equal?

• FredJ

I stay away from all area discussions and defending selections because there is no winning argument. For every person picked for player of the year or first team you can make a great argument for someone else deserving that spot too. I don’t like the argument-against stuff on the blog from my perspective, that’s for all of you to do. I’ll deal with that over the phone, through emails or in person.

• Fred’s doing his best

Fred you have a tough job. Lets leave it at that. I just wanted to show the “love” that might have been missing for Sierra Vista.

Best of luck with Basketball, lol!

Keep your head up on that one.

• SGV Dad

Sir Whinesalot,
    Oh, I am so tired of the victim mentality coming out of Sierra Vista girls soccer program. The SGV Tribune picks the best player of the Year. CIF traditionally awards the CIF POY from the championship team, and thats what Carlos received and deserved. Do you think Carlos would have received the award if they had lost in the finals? Carlos also won MVP of her league, congratulations. Fred watched Sierra Vista, Amat and Los Altos play and he made the final decision on SGV Tribune Girls Soccer POY.

Historically, you are tainting and clouding the memories of the SV Championship season, more will remember all the whining and moaning coming from their supporters then they will the victories. I like you will state my opinion; you my friend are a serious ‘WHINNER’. Do LA or Amat a favor and schedule a game with one or both of them next year.

Congratulations to Ms. Juarez, Coach Jimenez and all the others that made 1st and 2nd team.

Congratulations SV, CIF Champs, on a very successfuly season you earned it… but please find a way to kick Sir Whinesalot off the bandwagon…

• No one is a victim at all

SGV DAD

Make sure you know SV is doing the whining. As a fan of the game I’m voicing an opinion much like Bishop Amat fans voice their opinion countless times in countless sports. In fact the most recent case was the Girls basketball team’s inclusion into the State Tournament.

Why is it that having an opinion is whining when it’s not in “the usual suspects” favor ? What’s with the “victim mentality” …victim of what?

Is this a blog or not? Did you see all three players play? I did. Carlos was invaluable to their Championship run. You sound like those who say a lower level champion is less valued than any division Amat is in…seeing as their in so many, and yes I know it’s never Amat’s fault but somehow it is every one else’s?

• soccer fan

Fred only has so many spots to go around as as such many talented players were left out from several schools. Of course, there may have also been some – like a marginally talented player who’s team did not make it past game one of CIF – who could have easily been replaced with a more deserving player but remember this is just the Tribune pics and they have a right under our consitution to say whatever they want. Hopefully the Sierra Vista seniors will get picked up by colleges and as such have an opportunity to let their talent on the field assist them in their future.

• College exposure

Im not taking away from being a part of this prestigious group of athletes, however this is just high school soccer! It plays a very small part in the college recruiting process. College coaches scout and recruit from college showcases played through club soccer programs, not high school. The bottom line is if you are an outstanding player and serious about playing college ball, you play for a premier or gold club team and participate in college showcases. This is where you get your exposure, NOT from playing high school soccer. If CIF allowed club to coincide with high school soccer season, it would dissipate the high school soccer program for most schools.
    Congratulations to all the girls on the list….well deserved and keep working hard!

• http://jshneovv.com amat

April Juarez showed tremendous skill as she debuted into the world of high school soccer as a freshman. As a sophomore, she set the bar even higher. She is an amazing athlete and a joy to watch. No offense to Carlos, but competing in division 7 as oppose to division 4, does have its differences! Although I am sure Carlos is also a great athlete. April Juarez, being only a sophomore, made a hell of an impact this year, competing with some quality teams such as Los Altos, La Serna, etc. Juarez deserves POY. So instead of complaining about it, just congratulate and move on because the decision is final. All the girls work and struggle out on the field and dream of getting POY, Juarez accomplished that goal, so dont ruin it for her, you wouldnt want it to be ruined for your girl now would you?

• Conquerer Dad

As the dad of one of the LA girls that was mentioned as a candidate in some of the many blogs regarding POY, all I can say is congradulations to April and the entire BA team, you guys had tremendous season and based on the stats, April was a huge part of that success. I believe that neither LA or BA overlooked their opponants in the semi-finals, but rather ran into some very good teams and the outcome could have went either way, the games were that close.
    Looking forward top next years rematch, congrats to all of the players and coaches who were awarded many 1st team accolades and POY honors.

• Soccerfan

SV will not be scheduling any games with LA or Amat next year – remember they are loosing 13 players to graduation.

• http://www.handbagsdesignersale.net/ Designer Handbags

For the discerning woman of today, Louis Vuitton Designer Handbags and other accessories are more important, a fact that even Georgio Armani is right. It was a gradual change over the years and now we can say that the outfit accessories, making not vice versa.

• Pingback: Homepage

• Pingback: curso de aerografia

• Pingback: real estate oakville

• Pingback: Read Here

• Pingback: Alanya villa

• Pingback: Tyrkia leilighet

• Pingback: Wintersportvakanties

• Pingback: Obtener más información

• Pingback: More information here

• Pingback: themidsummer.co.uk

• Pingback: check it out

• Pingback: auto like

• Pingback: useful reference

• Pingback: click for source

• Pingback: our website

• Pingback: voir le site

• Pingback: Week-end en amoureux avec Jacuzzi

• Pingback: Checa por acá

• Pingback: maths tuition stourbridge

• Pingback: click now

• Pingback: breast lift Scottsdale

• Pingback: click here

• Pingback: Lee Harbert

• Pingback: invest in stocks

• Pingback: click here now

• Pingback: like this

• Pingback: best ways to invest in metal

• Pingback: go to my blog

• Pingback: vancouver wa plastic surgeon

• Pingback: دروس في التحليل

• Pingback: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwYwQ-R-dRQ

• Pingback: visit their website

• Pingback: Website

• Pingback: Sitio

• Pingback: try them out

• Pingback: توصية اسهم

• Pingback: leilighet i Alanya

• Pingback: i thought about this