Wilson’s “Asian Sensation,” Michael Wong looks impressive in Tribune boys practices in preparation for Saturday’s All-Star game

Think the Star-News All-Star team has the only Asian sensation in Saturday’s Tribune/Star-News All-Star Classic? Think again. Wilson High School’s Michael Wong was turning heads again Tuesday night at Damien High School when the Tribune team held its second practice in preparation for Saturday’s 6 p.m. showdown, also at Damien. (To Continue click thread)

Boys and Girls Basketball All-Star Game
Seventh Annual Tribune/Star-News All-Star Classic
Saturday, April 24, Damien High School

Girls game: 4 p.m.
Boys game: 6 p.m.
SERIES RECORD
Boys Star-News leads series, 5-1
Girls: Star-News leads series, 4-2

Wong, who stands 5-foot-3, is doing his best to make sure that Keppel’s Timmy Wong and Pasadena’s George Toyama aren’t the only ones who will showcase the Asian community’s talent on the hardwood.

And needless to say, he isn’t doing it with his might.

“The two days of practice we’ve had, he’s been the surprise of practice,” said Baldwin Park coach Marc Hart, who will coach the Tribune team.

“It will be interesting to see Michael versus Timmy and Toyama.

“Maybe me and (coach Tim) Tucker will talk about it before the game and kind of let the Asian sensations go at it.”

It’s not just Hart’s eye that Wong has caught. His teammates, who have been scrimmaging against him and often been wowed by his moves, have been taken by surprise by Wong’s exploits.

“He’s going to be good in the game,” Glendora’s Calvin Smith said of Wong.

“The defenders are going to have a tough time because he’s really quick.”

South Hills’ Ify Umodu interjected that because of Wong’s size, he might catch Star-News defenders napping.

“Probably nobody is going to expect it from him just by looking at him,” Umodu said. “He’s going to surprise them.”

Although no official decision was made at Tuesday’s practice, Wong is looking like a lock to be one of the Tribune team’s representatives in the 3-point shooting contest at halftime.

aram.tolegian@sgvn.com