Baseball: Glendora takes the series from Damien 5-2, back in first in the Sierra

By John Honell, Correspondent
Glendora High School followed the same pattern it has used all year to take a firm hold on first place in the Sierra League. The Tartans (16-2-1, 7-2) got solid pitching from their ace, Adam Plutko, and solid defense to beat Damien 5-2 on Friday. The win gave the Tartans a 2-1 edge in the season series between the teams and a one-game lead over the Spartans (13-5, 6-3) and Diamond Bar.

Plutko went six innings, struck out six and did not walk a batter as he improved his record to 6-1.

“Adam battled today,” Tartans coach Dan Henley said. “He didn’t have his `A’ stuff but he pitched like he’s done all year. We got a split with them this week and, after Wednesday (a 2-1 loss to Damien), that’s something we wanted to do. We’ll take this win.”

The Spartans jumped in front in the first inning. Leadoff hitter Bobby Oatman topped a pitch out in front of the plate and beat the throw to first.

Adam Young sacrificed and Erik Lewis singled but Oatman tripped over the bag and had to remain at third. J.J. Murillo singled with two outs for the run.

The Tartans scored two runs on one hit in the bottom of the second to take the lead.

Joe Winterburn was hit by a pitch leading off the inning. Kyle Layton walked and Jakob Cage sacrificed them to second and third, respectively.

Designated hitter Brennan Salgado then grounded back to side of the mound. Damien starter James Guillan reached for the ball but it went off the end of his glove and ricocheted into left field.

“A lot of weird things happened today,” Henley said. “We got a glove base hit for our first two runs. We thought we were headed for that breakout to be more offensive, then some weird things happened. They did a great job on the mound and defensively, giving themselves a chance.”

The Tartans scored three more runs in the third on an error, a walk and three hits.

“James (Guillan) was throwing well today,”
Damien coach Al Leyva said. “That ball goes off his glove. If he makes that play it’s a different ballgame. It’s an old cliche of mine that sometimes you need to be lucky and we didn’t get the lucky break today, but Glendora put the pressure on us and they deserve the win.”

The Spartans battled back with a run in the sixth, then Winterburn came on to pitch the seventh inning for the Tartans.

“Joe’s been our closer,” Henley said. “They made a few good passes at him but he bowed his neck and did a good job.”

• BullPen

This is gonna be great! Glendora is gonna throw their Sr. stud RHP Plutko and Damien will throw their Sr. stud RHP Guillen. The difference being Damien has made a living with their starting pitchers going about 4 or 5 innings then calling on their relief,usually Jr. LHP Gonzales. Where Glendora has let their starters go the distance. Both teams have done great jobs doing what they do. It will be interesting to see how these two differnt approaches will work today. This is a Sierra League classic, too bad this will be the last year that these two baseball programs will be playing against each other with the SL championship on the line. Henley and Leyva will have to be at the top of their coaching game. The team with the fewest errors will come away with the victory and the inside track to the SL championship. Good luck to both teams!

• Almost

Damien lost 5-2 and it could have been worst if a couple of Glendora errors didn’t keep them from rallying more and it could have been better if Damien doesn’t make their own errors. Overall this was the best behaved Damien vs Glendora baseball game in years.

• VVL Scout

Covina sweeps Baldwin Park and gets them a spot in C.I.F. for the 9th time in 10 years.

• glendora wins

Glendora wins!!!

• DamienScore

Damien loses 5-2. Plutko pitched a good game. There isn’t much to say, our boys came to play but came up short. I must admit, I will miss playing GHS in league play. Good bye and good luck to the Tartans. To the Spartans, we need to win out to go into the playoffs in a good position. Go Damien.

• socalbaseball fan

Diamond Bar 10 Ayala 3. The 3 big hitters for the brahmas Jeff Crowe,Chester Pak,and Kenny Mathews each drove in 3 runs. Mathews went 6 innings giving up 1 run on a hr and fanned 7.

• Poor Sport

Talk about a poor sport!

After the Damien vs Glendora game I was walking back to the parking lot and stopped to see the final out of a close game between St. Lucy’s and Glendora. The score was tied and a Glendora girl hit a shot to deep right field that brought in the winning run for the Tartans. Immediately St. Lucy’s #10 throws her glove at what I suspect was her dad and stormed off the field and thru the gates huffing and puffing without so much as shaking hands or waiting for her team mates who were equally heart broken Im sure. Talk about a classless move. I know sports can be difficult but there is no room for that kind of over the top competitiveness or out of control ego. I know the girl’s a sophomore and she’ll have better days than she had today but her opponents beat her fair and square and her team mates supported her when she’s on the mound. Didn’t she recently give up a two run blast in a scoreless game after hitting a batter? Did her team mates storm off and throw their gloves went she served up the cheese? I wouldn’t say anything but the way she treated her dad was completely out of control and extremely disrespectful to everyone in sight.

Winning and losing is part of the game. You don’t “want” it more because you behave that way. You don’t “deserve it” more because you’re a type A personality. You don’t “bleed” more, “cry” more, “hurt” more than any other player just because storming off makes you think you’re special. Special is dealing with wins and loses as a team. You have my back I’ll have yours. Completely poor behavior. Let’s hope some one pulls this girl aside, or down, and teaches her the value of shaking hands and looking your opponent in the eye and saying, “Good game!”

• jst wondering?

socalbaseball.
    you seem to have a close tie to DBHS??
    Are you impressed with these stats you post from
    DB’s gm vs a team that is not “in the hunt”?
    Why does it take your “top hitters” to perform against a team that is not “in the hunt”? Why are they not a part of the “Glendora” v. DBHS or now “Damien” v. Sierra League battle? Nice to see DBHS
    perform against the “league” competitors”. What about the the “Real Sierra League” teams?
    jst wondering??

• socalbaseball fan

This is exactly what LATimes sports writer Eric Sondheimer said about how classy Kenny Mathews was after losing to Glendora 3-0. No thrown glove in the dugout,no ripping teamates for the 2 errors,and just part of the game.
    To jst wondering yes I have followed DBHS baseball since 1985 and my son was a graduate of DBHS. I have sinced moved out of Diamond Bar and rarely get to see the brahmas play. I only post the DB score if no one else has posted the score. Unfortunately I will miss most of the cifss playoffs as I will be in traveling in europe.

• Baseball NUT!

Its time for Bishop Amat to go from DIV IV to Div I in baseball.

We talk ( me included) how with a pool of 1400+ kids ( 650+ boys) how we can compete so well in DIV I in football. Well we need to do the same for baseball.

I am starting to think that the coaching staff wants to stay put so they can rack up the banners of CIF titles. They compete very well with DIV I teams, but playing in DIV IV only makes others inside and outside of our little area wonder.

After watching the game the other day vs Sacred Heart I began to wonder myself! A couple of parents on the Cardinals were walking by me and said the same thing. I really don’t care what other parents think or beleive, BUT In NO way should Jay Anderson have had SIX AB’s vs a very weaker team. I mean it was 16-0 AFTER 2!

In three games it was Lancers 46- Cardials 0. They have outscored La Salle 25-4. Their supposedly best competition in thier league was shut out 7-0 ( St Paul). This same St Paul team is ranked # 4 by CIF and has EIGHT losses. NOBODY will beat Amat. Only Amat can beat themselves, in that division. This is why they take a beating in our little blogs, and throughout the OC, and in the SFV!

AMAT is GOOD and talened enough to play AND beat the BIG dogs in DIV I. Its time they move up to that. IF coaches, parents and students think their good enough to play top notch PAC 5 football, then the same can be said for baseball. It makes me think of Oaks Christain winning 5 straight DIV XI titles with NCAA DIV I talent.

If the coaches, and admin, can petition for Amat to STAY in the PAC 5, then at the VERY least, they should do the same to MOVE UP for baseball.

1982 B.A grad here Don’t make my feelings I have had for a school for OVER 35 years slowly disappear for staying put in such a inferior division.

• Observer

Finally, it looks like the Sierra League Championship will return to the San Gabriel Valley. In 2009 Chino won it, 2008 Chino Hills won it, 2007 Chino won it, 2006 Chino won it, 2005 Chino and Diamond Bar tied with Chino advancing the playoffs as the number 1 team by virtue of winning 2 out of 3 to Diamond Bar. Who knows the history of the other 2 years the league has been together? Interesting to see how the Sierra League teams will be in their new league next year. Glendora with good players and coaching should be fine. Diamond Bar with Matthews should be a league contender. Chino starts one Senior this year, so the future looks bright for them. Damien and Chino Hills should be at the top of their league. Interesting to see how South Hills and Charter Oak do when having to pitch top pitchers every game. They will need to be at least 3 deep on the mound. Good luck to all.

• Observer60

• socalbaseball fan

Bishop Amat definately is a D1 calibur baseball program however the rest of the league is D5 or 6 and would not be placed in D1. The lancers need to join another league for baseball only. Unfortunately the trinity league would be the only option and travel would be a problem. Same with joining the D2 Mission league which is the best league in D2.
    Nice to see another SGV product start for the CSF titans as freshmen Richie Pedroza has started the last 4 games going 5/12 and getting on base 8 times. Former brahma Gary Brown today went 4/4 and is not hitting over 450. Former Covina p-of Tyler Pill is the sunday pitcher for the titans and won today and now is 4-4 for the season along with hitting over 350. The titan ace Noe Ramirez(Alhambra) was injured 2 weeks ago suffering a fractured wrist to his non-throwing hand. Titans are on a roll winning 12 out of the last 14 games and in first place.

• Amat baseball

Amat #1 LA Times. #3 state.
    Welcome to the club brother Damien. #24 LA Times.
    Glendora drops
    South Hills?

• Baseball NUT!

The latest MAX preps rankings are out by division/section.

DIV II

# 2 GLENDORA ( Crespi moves back to # 1 )

# 13 DAMIEN

# 15 DIAMOND BAR

# 23 ARCADIA
    side note: Upland came in @ 14, AND ALL Sierra teams are in top 37 of the top 75

DIV III

# 1 BONITA

# 2 SOUTH HILLS

# 7 CHARTER OAK

# 11 LOS ALTOS

# 13 WALNUT

# 15 ALHAMBRA
    side note:
    Beckman of Irvine is 19-1 have won three tournements, and have been 1 or 2 ALL season in BOTH max preps and CIF. Now in at # 3. Our little guys SH, & Bonita are proving they are better than Beckman. Remember last yeat SH beat Beckman twice including the Finals. Finally a little RESPECT for our SGV guys.

DIV IV

# 1 BISHOP AMAT

# 7 NORTHVIEW

# 11 MONROVIA

# 20 SAN DIMAS
    side note: St PAul in at # 4. This division is VERY weak outside of AMAT IF St Paul is # 4. ALSO. Bishop Amat’s rating of 15.6 is ONLY behind DIV I powers Lakewood, and O LU, and is tied with MV.

state rankingd by MAX PREPS, our local BIG 5!

Bishop Amat DOWN 4 spots to # 10
    Glendora # 17 UP 4 spots
    Bonita # 45 moved UP 25 spots
    South Hills # 53 DOWN 5 spots
    Damien # 66 DOWN 9 spots

• socal baseball fan

If you look at the LATimes top 25 here is the breakdown.
    1. Division 2 14 teams ranked
    2. Division 1 9 teams ranked
    3. Division 4 1 team, #1 ranked Bishop Amat
    4. LA City 1 Chatsworth

Of the top 5 3 are in division 2. No teams from division 3 are in the top 25. Getting a high seed in D2 will be very important as you will play winners of wild card games and most teams will use their ace in these games. Like most high schools a big dropoff in the #1 vs #2 pitchers. Very important not to finish in 3rd place in D2.

• sg valley baseball fan

Baseball nut & socal bbf, thanks for the rankings info. Way to go sgv baseball!
    What’s your prediction for wednesdays game between Amat SoHi?

• socalbaseball fan

New cifss baseball poll out today
    Division 2
    1. Redlands East Valley moves into the top spot as they have not lost since spring break. The #2 pitcher sr Kyle McNutt is giving up runs however they score a lot of runs. #1 pitcher sr lhp Griffin Murphy has not lost this year.
    2. Glendora On their way to the SL title and a high seed.
    3. Chaminade
    4. Crespi still the favorite to win if they get Ryon Healy back throwing
    5. Bellflower new to the D2 poll
    6. Cypress
    7. Yucaipa sr ace Taijuan Walker pitched a no hitter last week vs Eisenhower along with a home run. Presently in 3rd place CBL and should finish 2nd.
    8. Arlington long time baseball power in Riverside
    9. Foothill
    10. Arcadia not sure how they keep in the top ten with teams like El Toro,Damien,Upland,Los Osos,Santa Barbara,Alemany not ranked.