Above: Bishop Amat coach Andy Nieto deserves a lot of credit for not just putting together one of the toughest schedules in the state, but for winning and giving the SGV all the state-cred it deserves.
Here’s this week’s baseball rankings:
1. Bishop Amat (22-2) – Just another ordinary week in Lancerland, a 4-3 win over South Hills followed by an 11-1 blowout over Lakewood to capture the Redondo Tournament title. After the schedule they played, I don’t want to hear any Division 4 complaints after they add another section title in a few weeks.
2. Glendora (18-2-1) – It’s amazing to me that this far into the season the Tartans have just two losses, especially considering how difficult the Sierra League is. They were rewarded this week with the No. 2 ranking in Division 2.
3. South Hills (14-4) – Nobody really believes in moral victories. Yes, it was a 4-3 loss to Bishop Amat, but some think they outplayed, out-pitched, and out-hit the Lancers, they just couldn’t come up with the crucial at-bats. That’s baseball and why a loss in this fashion isn’t really a loss.
4. Damien (15-5) – The Spartans continue to stay close to the Spartans, sweeping last week to remain 8-3 in league, just a game back of Glendora with two weeks left.
5. Northview (14-4-1) – Have we been sleeping on Northview? Could there still be a huge Northview-Bishop Amat showdown in the Division 4 playoffs? Well, the Vikes are No. 3 in D-4 and 10-0 in league. They can all but wrap it all up with a win over San Dimas on Wednesday.
6. Bonita (15-4-1) – What once was a comfortable lead in the Miramonte is now just a one game lead over Charter Oak after losing to Diamond Ranch. They finish with two games each against Walnut and Wilson.
7. Diamond Bar (14-7) – The Brahmas sweep over Chino sets up a big week with two games against Damien. Like Damien, they’re also 8-3 in league and a game back of Glendora. The survivor this week should do no worse than second in league.
8. Charter Oak (13-8) – The Chargers kept pace with the Bearcats with a much needed sweep over Wilson, doing it in style with back-to-back shutouts. These Chargers are something, one week they look ordinary, the next they look unbeatable.
9. Sierra Vista (14-5) – A loss to Azusa last week leaves them in a tie with La Puente for the Montview League lead, setting up a great finish with a pair against the Warriors next week for all the league title.
10. San Dimas (14-6) — After a horrible start, the Saints are 9-2 in league and control their own destiny with a pair against Northview this week. They got clobbered in their first meeting with the Vikes, will be interesting to see how far they’ve come on Wednesday.