Walnut’s Grant hopes to add to her collection

By Steve Ramirez, Staff Writer
There are some sports that often seem like the family business. It seems that way for the Grants, whose sister trio of Rebecca, Rachel and Andrea has each enjoyed success competing for the Walnut High School swimming team during this decade. Andrea Grant, a junior, is the latest of the sister act, winning a CIF-Southern Section Division II individual title last season and looming as one of the favorites to win two events this year.

But that doesn’t make it any easier for Andrea, who has been a protege since arriving on the Walnut campus.

“I’m really nervous, but I think I’m really going to try and win both my events, the 50 and 100-yard freestyles,” said Andrea Grant, who begins her quest at this week’s San Antonio League finals before competing at next week’s CIF-SS divisional championships. “I hope my relay (teams) can win, too. I’m excited, but nervous.”

Grant, who grew up in the shadow of her older siblings, has certainly added to the family reputation. She’s been solid during her first two seasons at Walnut, topped off by winning the 200 freestyle at the CIF-SS divisional meet last season.

She joined sister Rachel Grant on Walnut’s “Wall of Honor.” Rachel Grant, who is now swimming at Brigham Young University, etched her name after winning the 200 individual medley in 2004, the 200 and 500 frees in 2005 and the 200 IM in 2007. Rebecca Grant finished 15th in the 200 IM in 2002.

“Each of the girls have pretty much been their own person,” said Walnut coach Lani Ruh, who has coached all three. “They’re all very different and unique. I don’t think they feel any different from any of the others. They definitely help each other out and they are all there for support.

“The only difference is that Andrea’s real talkative and pretty much a leader.”

Andrea Grant has leaned on her older siblings for support when needed, but she admitted the biggest influence Rachel and Rebecca Grant have provided has come in the pool.

“I think we always tried to compete against each other and we pushed each other,” Andrea Grant said. “We’re all very competitive. I just tried to follow (what they did). I used to watch them swim and they were always very fast, and that makes you want to aspire and be more like them.

“To see your name up on the (“Wall”) is really cool and it’s special to have my name right next to my sisters.”

She earned it with a solid effort in the 200 last year, winning with a time of 1 minute, 50.74 seconds. She also was second in the 100 free, finishing second to Glendora sensation Gretchen Jaques, who won with a 49.81 to beat Grant’s 51.09.

“It was really nerve-racking,” Grant recalled. “I was so happy with my swim, even though I didn’t win (the 100).”

This year, Grant has switched her emphasis to the 50 and 100. She has gone as quick as 24.10 in the 50 and 52.80 in the 100. She is also part of the Mustangs’ 200 medley, 200 free and 400 free relay teams.

“I like (swimming the relays) the best,” Grant said. “When you win, or set a record, it’s something you can share with three other girls. It’s a title you can share forever.”

Grant, who anchors the three teams, has already enjoyed the thrill, helping the unit set school records in the 200 IM and 200 and 400 free relays earlier this year.

“It feels really good to set the school record,” Grant said. “It makes us feel strong and confident.”

Grant’s attention is also aimed at the 100 free, since she finished second last year. She hopes to improve by one slot, but will be challenged by Troy’s Michelle Kee, who finished third in the event last season.

“I think I have to work it really hard (the next two weeks),” Grant said. “The girl (Kee) I have to beat has been swimming very well this year. I have to put all my effort into it and try to win.”

steve.ramirez@sgvn.com