Spring Football: San Dimas’ program numbers could double following championship

It’s amazing what a CIF-Southern Section championship will do for a football program’s numbers. Just ask San Dimas High School football coach Bill Zernickow, who said he expects the number of players out for spring ball to nearly double from recent years. Zernickow estimated 90 players will be out for spring practice, up from the usual 50. He credited the turnout to the program’s success. (To continue click thread)

“When you win a ring, everyone wants a piece of the action,” said Zernickow, who was the Tribune’s Coach of the Year last season after guiding San Dimas to the Mid-Valley Division title. “That’s good for us. A school our size having that many kids wanting to come out is a definite numbers boost.”

A large portion of that number is the soon-to-be sophomore class, which went 8-2 last season. Zernickow expected to have around 20 of them on the varsity roster next season.

“You never know until you slap on the pads, but I really like our freshmen class,” Zernickow said. “They have some talent in that group. They’re athletic, which is something we didn’t have in our first few years.”

One of the bigger battles of spring will be at fullback, a key spot in Zernickow’s offense. Angel Gonzalez, Damon Carreon, Jordan Taylor and Nathan Torres are expected to get a long look. Zernickow said Carreon, a junior, is 230 pounds.

“It will be interesting to see who wins the job,” Zernickow said. “We’re deeper at the running back spot than we’ve ever been.”

Sense of familiarity

San Marino coach Mike Mooney will have some very familiar faces around him next season on the Titans sidelines. Mooney has put together a coaching staff very similar to those he had during a successful run at Temple City.

It starts with offensive coordinator Tim Loya, who was under Mooney at Temple City between 2001-06. Defensive coordinator Marty Valdez also coached with Mooney at Temple City before leaving in ’08 after staying on with Randy Backus, who succeeded Mooney when he left his alma mater after the ’06 season.

Mike Cable, who will coach defensive backs, was at Temple City under Backus and Anthony White. Matt Brassfield, who played for Mooney in 2004-05, will coach linebackers while Art Carrington will help with both lines.

Carrington also was at San Marino last season.

“I certainly prefer to have guys I’m familiar with around me,” Mooney said. “I’m lucky enough that they were available and willing. Plus, they’re all good buddies of mine.

“More than anything else, we have a good time together. And if you have a good time, it doesn’t seem like work.”

Alumni fundraiser

Baldwin Park will host its first alumni game as a fundraiser for the program on Saturday, May 8 at 9 a.m.

The Braves are doing it to not only raise money but to get alumni involved with the program.

Participants are expected to include former players such as Ron Brown, along with former coaches Ty Pagone and Tony Zane.

aram.tolegian@sgvn.com