Here’s this week’s baseball rankings:
1. Bishop Amat (25-2) – With two undefeated pitchers in Paul Paez and Brandon McNitt and a 47-game Del Rey League winning streak and nonleague and tournament wins that would make anyone jealous, all that’s left is another CIF championship.
2. Glendora (20-2-1) – Someone asked me what Glendora has to do to get respect. They pointed out that winning the Sierra is the toughest chore in the Valley, and that they’ve won two tournaments. My answer to that is they’re not the only power ranked behind Amat, arguably the best in the state.
3. Damien (17-5) - Huge sweep over Diamond Bar, they’ve clinched a playoff spot and will finish no worse than second in the Sierra. Another great season in a tough league.
4. South Hills (17-5) – How do you go from nearly beating and arguably outplaying Bishop Amat in a 4-3 loss, to a 5-3 loss against Walnut? They will finish with two games against Rowland, and need to win convincingly to show they still have the swag.
5. Bonita (17-4-1) – the Bearcats clinched the Miramonte title with two wins over Wilson last week, and now get two nonleague games with Walnut this week. That’s a nice feeling, they can rest and do whatever they want before the playoffs start.
6. Northview (16-5-1) - Huge win at San Dimas to clinch the VVL title after losing earlier in the week in a blur after lefty Eddie Pedroza left with what looked like an injured elbow, though we’ve been told it was his forearm. We hear that he’s likely to be back for the playoffs, which is really, really good news for the Vikes.
7. Diamond Bar (14-9) - Despite getting swept last week by Damien, the Brahmas are a solid third in the Sierra, a position not many thought they would be in when the season started. How would you like to be a league champion and draw them and Mathews in the first round? Talk about not fair.
8. Sierra Vista (17-5) – Huge 3-2 win over La Puente to take a one-game lead in the Montview heading into a final showdown against the Warriors on Wednesday to clinch the title outright.
9. Charter Oak (14-8) - Not a great season, but not a bad one either. They will finish second in the Miramonte but the real disappointment is Los Altos, who they will meet twice this week. The Conqs are 14-8 overall, but 4-6 and fourth in league.
10. San Dimas (15-7) — Nice stand at the end of the year to have a shot at the VVL title, but not enough firepower or arms on the mound to get it done. Still, they could be a dangerous postseason opponent.