Spring Football: Back-to-back champion Charter Oak opens camp, like what it has in recent Long Beach Poly transfer Maurice Clement …

Charter Oak High School football coach Lou Farrar has been through plenty of spring practices and it never gets old. But the veteran Chargers coach had a very good reason why he was looking forward to this year’s spring activities, which began Monday as the Chargers started their quest for a third consecutive CIF championship.
“I’ll tell you what, I’m so excited, I’m not blowing smoke either,” Farrar said. “My daughter and son-in-law went on a cruise last week, so my wife and I had their three kids for a week. I kept saying I can’t wait for football because that’s the sanctuary. This is the only place I can go where I have total control and everybody listens to me … not like my grandkids.” To continue reading, click thread

This year’s Chargers had better listen and listen well. Charter Oak will graduate 31 seniors in June, so that means Farrar will have his youngest team in quite a while.

But not to worry, there’s plenty of talent on hand.

Charter Oak returns one of the area’s biggest threats in wide receiver/defensive back Dennis Rufus.

Josiah Thropay is also back and will play tight end. Quarterback Travis Santiago will join the team when baseball season is over. And then there’s Maurice Clement, who transferred to Charter Oak from Long Beach Poly at the end of last season.

Clement is passing the look test this season and will play linebacker for the Chargers this fall.

“He has a chance to be really good,” Farrar said.

But after that, your guess is as good as Farrar’s.

The Chargers need to rebuild the offensive line, but reports from the weight room are that although this year’s group is smaller than last year’s, they’re much stronger.

Charter Oak’s dynamic freshman class, which went 9-1 last season, will get plenty of looks during May. That class was bolstered recently by the arrival of running back Aarel Vaughns, who transferred to Charter Oak from South Hills.

“We’re going to have to play nine or 10 sophomores on varsity this year,” Farrar said. “We’re starting up a new cycle of kids, who are going to be younger, smaller and still learning what it takes to be a Charter Oak football player.

“Finding which ones to keep and which ones will be JVs is going to be a little more of a search this year.”

In terms of sheer numbers, Farrar will have plenty to choose from. He estimates that there’s 200-225 players in the program as spring kicks off.

Charter Oak won’t play its first passing game until mid-June. The Chargers will practice until June 7, when they’ll take a week off for finals. After that, the summer passing circuit begins.

“We’re usually a little behind everybody because they started having passing league in February, March and April,” Farrar said. “Our kids have been on the field throwing, catching and running, but they do that all on their own. We have to teach right now because this is a young team.”

Covina to host camp
Covina High School will host a free football camp from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sunday.

Registration is at 8:30 a.m. for players of all positions between ages 6-14.

The camp will be staffed by coaches from Covina, Damien and Azusa Pacific University. It’s a non-contact clinic and every camper will receive a free T-shirt.

• BigDog

Fred
    Do you think Charter Oak and South Hills would be able compete on a year to year basis with teams like Glendora ,Diamond Ranch and West Covina if they were not recruiting kids and getting all the transfers that they do.

• FredJ

All five of those schools you mentioned get transfers on a year to year basis

• Dan

Yeah Fred but not even close to the numbers that South Hills and CO get. I mean your talking one or two starters a year compared to
    just about every impact player on the team at CO & SH., didn’t SH have over ten starters last year that were transfers? You can’t blame the two schools if these transfers are legit, and I’m not saying they’re not but I think there is
    definately a false impression amongst parents and kids in the area that football is played and taught at a much higher level at those two schools when there are many other programs that are as good. If some of these transfers would stay in their home schools there would be a much better balance in the SGV.

• Are you sure?

Fred what transfers did Glendora get. A “transfer” has to start high school at another school, attend classes and then actually “transfer”. How many players fit that criteria.

• JFR

Yeah, he left LB poly to play at CO for better exposure because that’s what our “recruiter” told his parents. I’d pick up and move an hour away if a recruiter from a lower division told me that, wouldn’t you?

• Not sure

Glendora got Transfers? I dont think so but we could always use a couple 6’1″ receivers with 4.5 speed would be really nice. Can you say CIF champs!

• Joe Amat

In all fairness to CO, many of the players most would call “transfers” actually started at CO as freshmen as well. Doesn’t mean they weren’t from out of the CO attendance area, but as far as CIF eligibility is concerned, an incoming 9th grader is allowed to go anywhere that will take them.

• BigDog

Fred
    You didn’t answer my question. I’m surprised you even posted my comment.

• sgvfootballfan

JFR…
    What better exposure can you get then being at Long Beach Poly. It doesn’t get any better.

• Joe Amat

sgvfootballfan,

I think that was what we’d call… sarcasm. JFR?
    http://tinyurl.com/2dna9z5

• Harry Ballzonya

I heard Adam Muema took a baseball bat to the head this past weekend!

• sgvfootballfan

Joe Amat
    I understand the sarcasm I’m just wondering why he would leave LBP and end up at CO.Was he looking at no playing time at Poly.I’m sure LBP is stacked at LB and across the board.Why wouldn’t he transfer to a school like Lakewood or Edison or even Los Alamitos rather than traveling all the way to Covina? that’s like going from D-1 to D-2

• DRanchhhh

FJR,

Please give me the names of 1 trnasfer that DR has received since Brandon Sermons 3 years ago. I AM LISTENING.

• Dan

sgvfootballfan,
    Like JFR was hinting at [I think], I don’t think
    his move had anything to do with football, my guess is his family relocated and Charter Oak was the area of choice. Like I said just a guess.

• JFR

Big Joe,

I guess I’ll have to be a little more OBVIOUS next time. I just got home and need a cold one after reading that response once I stop laughing.

• BigDog

FJR
    Brandon Sermons was just coming home.He Grew up in Diamond Bar.

• SGV FOOTBALL

Have you ever thought that his parents are separated and he relocated to live with the other parent??? This move was not athletically motivated at all. More of a family motivated decision. MC is a great kid getiing along with all the students and players at CO. Covina is 10x’s a better area for him then Long Beach.

• Family Friend

Here’s my same cut and paste post from Mr. Tolegian’s blog:

Ok, as a family friend I feel I have some right to speak on M.C.’s behalf and let’s just say he’s well-adjusted, extremely happy, and absolutely excited about this upcoming football season. He’s fallen in love with his coaches and teammates and his offseason preparation has been phenomenal with what C.O. and company do with training and workouts. Charter Oak seriously knows and understands every kind of kid and they have adopted him as their own from day one. This was the best decision ever for the child.

So any athlete that has his frame of mind not to mention his physical frame is going to be successful by default. Please do not be judgmental and critical of him or his decision to be at Charter Oak until you’ve met him, know the reasons why, and then seen him play. He’s a outstanding student athlete with an outstanding future ahead of him. Good luck to you M.C. and represent your family and your school well. Everyone is proud of you!

• Rumor has it

DRanchhh,
    Are you listening? Your getting a tranfers from kaiser hs so watch what you say, ssshhhhh.

• transfer police

if glendora d ranch and west co want the transfers that co gets then win games and championships…since 2004 those 3 schools are 2-12 vs co…every kids at the party rt now, some just leave and upgrade to a better party

would you leave your job of 20 years for more money better benefits and shorter hours…we all would

• DRanchhhh

LMBO….quit spreading Rumors.

I know exactly who you guys are talking about but it is not fact.

We have a B2G camp at DR every saturday at 2pm, which yields some star athletes from all over SoCal, CO, Glendora, Mater Dei, Kaiser, Summit just to name a few. That player…lets just say WR/FS is not xfr’g to DR. Its his SR campaign, why would his PARENT-singular risk that given he knows CIF rules. I mean after all his other son just got a full ride to USC. He would be dumb to jump ship with a pipe like that. If he does we welcome him but otherwise it is just a rumor. Anyone other BS RUMORS you want to start up? Like i said, NAME 1 since B.Serms.

@BigDog whether he lived in DB or not, he xfr’d from BA. They are not going to understand the idea behind that, trust me!

• http://www.insidesocal.com/sgvfootball Aram

DRrrrranch,

What about Tony Adams from Amat? And doesn’t DR get a lot kids from Pomona and DB who should be going to other schools in the district/area?

I mean, I can’t blame any kid who lives around for wanting to play at DR.

• Roddy’s the MAN !

Aram, Tony Adams? Now there’s name for you! Wasn’t he kicked out of Amat or asked to leave after that BS in the locker room? You’re right though, who wouldn’t wnat to play for Roddy. The DB and Pomona thing is kind of weird because both schools had their issues and Roddy s a pretty solid guy in both communities, especially with the kids. He’s a Softball Coach as well so every one knows Roddy! lol

Next year should be interesting without CO & SHHS but with Diamond Bar and Damien. My guess is both will be wars, flat out! Roddy’s never lost to Gano and DB is aching to play DR, should be fun! Lots of changes for everyone but somehow DR without Viramontes will be strange.

Where’s he going btw?

• DRanchhhh

Aram,

Did you ever see Adams suit up in a FOOTBALL uniform? Better yet, how long was he even at DR? Kid could have been a star but he didnt want it enough. As far as kids coming from Pomona, isnt DR in Pomona?? Again name some kids that have transferred from any school to DR and suited up for DR since B.Sermons. I am absolutely positive that some of the kids from Ganesha, Pomona, Garey and probably Ayala and Don Lugo would love to come to DR.

• DRanchhhh

Since DR is rumored to have been recruiting, as a fan I’ll recruit. ARE THERE ANY QB’S THAT NEED SOME STUDS TO THROW TOO? ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A COACH THAT WILL BUST HIS BUTT TO GET YOU IN COLLEGE IF YOUR WILLING TO WORK FOR IT? ARE YOU INTERESTED IN EXCELLING AT HOME,IN THE CLASSROOM, IN THE COMMUNITY AND ON THE FIELD. DR IS YOUR PLACE!! COME ON, WE NEED A QB SO WE CAN TAKE IT ALL THE WAY THIS YEAR. Nice size line returning with the exception of one guy. Stacked in the skilled area. Just need a dedicated QB. LOL….

Now DR is recruting!! LMBO

• night stalker

DRanchhhh I heard Charter Oaks has about 5 Qb’s in the mix right now and thats not including the players in baseball. Im sure Charter Oaks would love to give you a QB or two but I think kids like winning rings.

• Norco

night stalker

Those days of winning rings are over…

signed

Inland Division

• your from norco

who admits there from norco? you know something has gone seriously wrong in your life if you end up there…you ever hear someone say “one day im gonna get good grades really put my nose to the grindstone and get a great job and move to NORCO”

whats norcos mascot? testy the meth making test tube?

go back to your trailer…its about 45 degrees in covina on a december night…and no sorry we do not allow keystone light in our stadium

rack me

• Norco

Norco…
    Haha, this post is awesome for two reasons.

1. I think you actually believe it

and, more importantly

2. I can tell you actually think your being funny!

Hahaha, you’re awesome actually ..bawaaaaaaaaaaa!

• JFR

He went to Royal Oak junior high people. I love how the GURU can post a love letter and not get a response about Judi North. Keep it up FRED, I doubt you will post this.

• Dranchhhh

Nightstalker–

Winning Rings?? Are we serious?? I guess thats what HS Football has boiled down too, huh? Well your right, If a kid wants a ring more than he does and opportunity to play and move forward, then CO is where that kid belongs! I know that I wouldn’t be willing to ride pine to get a ring that I didnt work for, but heyyyy…..thats me.
    Anyhow, still looking for a solid QB. Will gurantee you a experienced O-line, several targets to throw too and an opportunity for a coach that cares to get you into College, whether it’s a “USC” or a “Azusa Pacific”. Think about it.

Hahaha…I should take this to FACEBOOK!!

• end of golden age

south hills ZERO transfers. END OF AN ERA u puddyDAWGS r TOAST TOAST TOAST!

• Pingback: DIESEL レディース 腕時計

• Pingback: SWAhlzrZ

• Pingback: URL