Spring Football: Nogales coach Sebastian Hernandez has pleasant first impressions

First impressions aren’t everything when it comes to a football team, but new Nogales High School coach Sebastian Hernandez has liked what he’s seen from his players in their first week of spring practice. “The talent level is better than I thought when I first took the job,” Hernandez said. “I’m much more optimistic now. I thought there would be less talent judging from their record the past several years.” (To continue click thread)

Halftime use to be showtime at Nogales. Hernandez is trying to change that.

Hernandez estimated that the Nobles have 75 players program-wide participating in spring drills. But only 14 of them will be seniors, which means Nogales will be very young.

“The majority of the guys are going to be juniors and sophomores,” Hernandez said. “The most talent is in the younger classes, but the seniors are doing a great job of making everybody work hard.”

Nogales will be switching to Hernandez’s spread offense this season, which should be quite an adventure as the Nobles transition from running the wing.

Quarterback Keith Bolden, a junior-to-be, has opened eyes thus far. Bolden has the lead in the competition to be the next signal caller. If he wins the job, Hernandez thinks receiver Errol Romny will be his favorite target.

The Nobles have some size on both lines, something Hernandez thinks might be a strength led by junior-to-be Jaime Salazar, a wrestler who is 6-foot-3, 275 pounds and bench presses over 300 pounds. Hernandez expects Genaro Acosta to add to the line’s strength.

“We’re working a great deal on leadership and responsibility,” Hernandez said. “They’re taking to it. There’s some good talent here, but it’s raw talent. They’re fired up.”