Bonita’s Robert Mier homers to help the Grey to a 3-1 victory over the Blue in all-star game

By Nathan Cambridge, Correspondent
COVINA
- Bonita High School junior Robert Mier homered to help the Grey team defeat the Blue 3-1 in Saturday’s third annual KG Sports Training Foundation Underclassmen All-Star Baseball Game at Gladstone High School. “It’s fun to play with a bunch of guys you have been playing against all year,” Mier said. “It’s a really neat experience.” (To continue, click thread).

The Grey scored all of its runs in the fourth inning, led by a trio of Bonita players. Mier hit a towering home run over the left-field fence off Blue pitcher Sergio Luna of Cathedral to lead off the inning.

“One thing you need as a good hitter is to be relaxed,” Mier said, “I was just really relaxed today and put a good swing on it.”

Bonita’s K.C. Huth drove in the Grey’s final run on a groundout to third base that scored Northview’s Xavier Martinez, who had reached after Luna hit him with a pitch.

The Blue was held to three hits by a combination of eight Grey pitchers and scored its lone run in the fifth inning without getting a hit.

Grey pitcher Mark Roche of Arroyo started the inning by hitting South Hills’ C.J. Saylor with a pitch. Saylor scored three batters later on a wild pitch.

The defensive play of the game was made by Grey shortstop Travis Santiago in the fourth inning. The Blue’s David Hubinger lined a ball up the middle that pitcher Jason Martinez stabbed at with his glove, redirecting the ball. Santiago, from Charter Oak, caught the ball near the dirt and completed the double play by throwing to first to end the inning.

“It psyched me out a little bit,” Santiago said of the unusual double play, “It happened to be in my glove and I tagged my base and threw to first and got an out, double play.”

The KG Sports Training Foundation, founded by Kiko Garcia, is committed to developing baseball fundamentals in the area’s youth, but also scholarship and character. All three of those factors were considered when naming the game’s MVP – Stephen Zavala of Whittier, who played two innings at catcher for the Grey.

Also part of the all-star activities was a skills contest earlier in the day. Temple City’s Julian Jarrod won the agility contest.

• Don

Great job to Bonita’s Huth, Gelalich, and Mier, all involved in the Grey team’s run production.

Nathan failed to mention Adam McCreery shut out the Blue man crew over the first two innings.

Nice work Bearcats.

• Start them young

When is the Pre-High School All Star Game?

• Gladiator

Joe Herrera from Gladstone got an RBI on a line drive to right center. Good job! cant wait to see him in a football uniform. Athlete of the year.

• kh

dame theres two handsome young men,
    great job cannons summer league players from last season team,
    hand picked kids from our league and we had some fun last summer,but with all the h.s. sports taking there time we just put the cannons on hold,we battle we game,had acouple kids from west 605 area as my good buddt don will call them,
    i see tim kim from l,c, made all rio hondo league,steve b from wilson k.c. =bonya the smith brothers had a good season brent pitched for blair and older brother started at pcc,alfee played s.s. d.r. broke hand but came on late to finish strong.had a soccer football kicker from damien,donny h .we played bonita twice and splitz the series,after second game they removed our power hitter rojas off team after he hit a 400 plus hr to beat them,while danny t cruzed 7 inns to give the cannons a even record with the mighty bearcats.
    greg and conner with kc handled the inf.and stevir balt. controled the of.
    see bringing talent from other area together helps young men grow and compete in the life,
    ill bring them all back to play on the pasadena redbirds which is the next level after h.s. .
    great job cody reggis and jeff gelhich,going to the college world series.u.c.l.a.
    boys tomorrow stars,our shinning in today sun.
    go s.g.v.
    great job fred and staff covering h.s. baseball and college local players.

• Get real

KH

Now Fred gets an “Good Job” from KH. LMAO!

• kh

get real.
    it was a joke about fred,
    he never saw us play once this year,
    he wasnt at the underclassmen games either.
    shaggy covered the games.
    the pasadena star news covers sports much better then the sgvtribune.

• Aaron

Fred covered Bonita Softball, but yeah I know…

• kh

next season the boys can where wigs,then maybe fred will come?

• kh

fred take a close look at the photo of k.c. and steve b.
    both mini mes with giants over sized hearts.
    take a look at k.c. right elbow mussel,
    see the thing poping out,thats from long toss my friends,i said it over and over,long toss.
    we worked out about a hour yesterday at l/v/u.
    winterburn country club.
    no bat, just s.s. and right field throws to the plate.
    getting ready for the area code work outs in s.b. next month.
    go fred