Softball All-Area: Green Day; Bonita’s Chloe Wurst and South Hills’ Scott Fisch earn top honors

You won’t find anyone working harder or cheering harder than Bonita High School’s Chloe Wurst. The lefty turned herself from ordinary into one of the elite pitchers in the CIF-Southern Section in just a few years, earning a scholarship to West Texas A&M after leading the Bearcats to the Miramonte League title, and the CIF-Southern Section Division 3 semifinals. Wurst threw consecutive no-hitters in victories over Los Altos and Diamond Ranch, striking out a combined 25 in the process. (To continue reading along with the coach of the year story, click thread).

2010 Tribune Softball All-Area Team
Coach of the year:
Scott Fisch, South Hills
Player of the Year: Chloe Wurst, Bonita, Sr.
First Team
Pitcher: Kortnie Clark, San Dimas, Sr.
Pitcher: Carly Argyle, Glendora, Jr.
Catcher: Britney Rodriguez, South Hills, So.
Utility: Dekota Monarrez, West Covina, Jr.
Infield: Kristen Stewart, South Hills, So.
Infield: Stephany La Rosa, Diamond Bar, Jr.
Infield: Aleena Avalos, San Dimas, Jr.
Infield: Natalie Hernandez, Glendora, Sr.
Outfield: Makaila Garcia, Northview, Sr.
Outfield: Breeanna Sandoval, Bonita, Jr.
Outfield: Alyse Gutierrez, West Covina, Jr.

Second Team
Pitcher: Jackie Wagner, Arroyo, So.
Pitcher: Sabrina Anguiano, Bishop Amat, Fr.
Catcher: Kayla Norrie, San Dimas, Jr.
Utility: Jackie Carlin, Bishop Amat, Jr.
Infield: Courtney Gano, Los Altos, Jr.
Infield: Jacki Campa, Bonita, Sr.
Infield: Sydney Stewart, Diamond Ranch, Sr.
Infield: Vanessa Bracamonte, Wilson, Sr.
Outfield: Janelle Casillas, Arroyo, So.
Outfield: Nicki Sprague, Charter Oak, Fr.
Outfield: Andrea Gutierrez, West Covina, Sr.

She allowed two hits or less in eight games, threw three one-hitters and struck out 10 or more 17 times, including a season-high 19 strikeout performance against St. Lucy’s.
Wurst finished 19-4 with a 0.82 ERA and 277 strikeouts, and also was a big contributor offensively, batting clean-up and hitting .357.
She was selected the Miramonte League player of the year, was named to the CIF-SS Division 3 first team and for her efforts, has been selected the 2010 Tribune softball player of the year.
“She was the heartbeat of our team,” Bonita coach Ken Carlson said. “The growth she experienced from last year to this year was tremendous.
“It wasn’t just her pitching but her total leadership on and off the field. When we were down she was the one that brought everyone back up. She was a great vocal leader and leader by example, a rare combination these days.”
To know how far Wurst came, look at the way she battled Gatorade state player of the year Jessica Hall and Ayala on the road in the Division 3 semifinals.
It took Ayala eight innings to squeeze a run off Wurst and win 1-0, which the Bulldogs turned into a championship a few days later.
Wurst allowed just four hits and struck out 11, leaving many wondering if Hall is the best the state has to offer, then Wurst is right there with her.
“That game said a lot about Chloe and what type of competitor she’s become,” Carlson said. “No disrespect to Jessica Hall, she’s a great player, but Chloe is right there with her. If this was a marathon, you’re talking about being just a few steps behind at the finish line.”
Wurst heads a star-studded 2010 all-area team, which includes a pair of formidable pitchers in San Dimas senior Kortnie Clark and Glendora junior Carly Argyle.
Clark, whose career includes three CIF-Southern Section divisional semifinal appearances and a championship appearance, helped the Saints to a Valle Vista League co-title, earning VVL player of the year honors.
She finished 20-8 with a 3.02 ERA while also hitting .511 with 19 RBIs.
Argyle earned first-team Sierra League honors after leading the Tartans to a tie for the Sierra League title, which included a league-ending win over eventual Division 3 champion Ayala and Hall, the first time the Tartans’ had beaten the UCLA-bound Hall.
Argyle’s season included a no-hitter in a 1-0 victory over Los Altos.
South Hills junior catcher Britney Rodriguez, who already has given a verbal commitment to UCLA, helped the Huskies reached the Division 5 championship game.
One of the best defensive catchers also brought it offensively, batting .436 with 19 RBIs, four doubles and two home runs.
West Covina junior Dekota Monarrez pitched and caught for the Bulldogs, earning first-team utility after an incredible season as the plate.
Monarrez batted .408 with 22 RBIs and 10 home runs. She hit five of her homers against rival South Hills in games that decided the league title.
The first-team infield was paced by South Hills sophomore Kristen Stewart, juniors Aleena Avalos of San Dimas, Stephany La Rosa of Diamond Bar and lone senior Natalie Hernanez of Glendora.
Stewart, also a San Antonio League first-team selection, batted .514 with 34 RBIs and 15 doubles and played a key role during the Huskies’ playoff run.
Avalos, the Valle Vista League first-team shortstop, emerged as one of the area’s best all-around players, hitting for average and power.
Avalos batted .588 with 26 RBIs, five homers, seven doubles and four triples.
Hernandez has been the glue at shortstop for Glendora for three years, and had a big senior year. The Sierra League first-teamer batted .401, an especially tough assignment considering the pitching depth in the Sierra League.
La Rosa, arguably the area’s best non-pitcher, had another sensational year.
The UCLA commit batted .514 with 17 RBIs, five homers and nine doubles, the second straight year she batted over. 500.
The first-team outfield was paced by Northview’s Makaila Garcia, Bonita’s Breeanna Sandoval and West Covina’s Alyse Gutierrez.
Garcia was a blend of speed and power, nearly winning the area’s triple crown with her incredible offensive numbers. She batted .577 with 34 RBIs and an area-best 12 homers.
Sandoval, one of the area’s best defensive outfielders and baserunners, was a key role in the Bearcats’ charge to the Division 3 semifinals.
She earned Miramonte League and Tribune first-team honors for the second straight season after batting .409 with 22 runs scored and 20 RBIs and seven doubles.
Gutierrez earned San Antonio league first team honors because of her production at the plate. She played a key role in the Bulldogs’ league title, batting .397 with 25 RBIs and six homers.

Coach of the year story
This was no ordinary season for South Hills High School softball coach Scott Fisch, who helped the Huskies reach the CIF-Southern Section Division 5 championship after a season of heartbreak and setbacks that would have derailed most.
The unseeded Huskies scored more runs in the playoffs than anyone else, outscoring their opponents 54-5 before losing to back-to-back champion Whittier Christian in the finals at Deanna Manning Stadium in Irvine.
Regardless of the outcome, the Huskies finished 23-8-1 and captured the Valley’s attention with its determination and grit for reaching the finals for the first time since their 1997 title, and by doing so have earned Fisch Tribune coach of the year honors for 2010.
“It was a rewarding season, there is no doubt,” Fisch said. “The players overcame a lot, they battled through a lot and at the end lived up to the potential that a lot of us thought they had.
“They didn’t win it all, but few expected us to get there. It’s a real testament to their hard work, and how they came together when the time was right to make a (playoff) run.”
The Huskies’ struggles started early, losing their season-opener 6-3 to Los Altos, then a three-game winless stretch a couple weeks later followed by the biggest blow of all.
Tony Ha, 18, the brother of Huskies standout catcher Britney Rodriguez and a regular cheerleader at Huskies’ games, died in a mid-season car accident that left Rodriguez and her teammates devastated.
But one game after another, visiting teams lined up in support of Ha and the Huskies, wearing wristbands or sending flowers, huge first steps in the healing process.
“At that point the game didn’t matter really,” Fisch said. “It wasn’t about the wins, the numbers or where you batted in the line-up, it was about getting along and coming together, and the support we received, especially from other teams, were moments to cherish.
“It was an extremely tough time, especially for Britney. But I think all the support helped her, it prolonged the difficulty of dealing with something so hard to imagine, but it helped her and helped all of us.”
Even though it appeared the Huskies were turning the corner, their swagger was still missing. They lost three straight games to rival West Covina, which cost them the San Antonio League title.
In addition, one of their two standout pitchers left the team for personal reasons, leaving the reigns to sophomore pitcher Sydney La Follette as they headed toward an uncertain postseason that wasn’t expected to last long.
“We had a lot of people tell us as the beginning of the year this was going to be an outstanding season, but it wasn’t playing out that way,” Fisch said. “The three losses to West Covina were tough to swallow, they were demoralizing because we thought we were good enough to get past them, but they had our number.
“Then when one of our pitchers quit, it wasn’t that things were falling apart, but it’s another setback, and you don’t know how girls are gong to react to it.”
But La Follete responded to the challenge and her teammates followed, going on a scoring barrage in the playoffs that surprised everyone, including their coach.
“The key was Sydney,” Fisch said. “I sat her down and told her the job is hers now. She didn’t have to worry about me pulling her for someone else, or someone else warming up if she struggled. We were going to ride her no matter what, and I think the calm of knowing she was it really gave her a lot of confidence going forward.”
That confidence was contagious.
“You can say we didn’t face a lot of pitching early, but when you get to the quarterfinals and semifinals of the playoffs and you’re still scoring, you’re doing something right,” Fisch said. “We didn’t have that offensive spark in the championship, but we have almost everyone back, and the confidence they gained is going to help move us ahead next season.”

fred.robledo@sgvn.com
626-962-8811, ext. 2161

• kh

fred. bree s,
    she will be a senior this up coming season.
    your slipping fred.

• Sgv softball dad

How does the second best outfielder at Bonita get first team? huh stats dont lie!!!!!!!!

• Sgv softball dad

Fred how is it that girls on second team have better stats than girls on the first team? this is not a popularity contest and your grade level shouldn’t matter. STATS DONT LIE…………

• stats?

Sgv softball dad,

If it was all about stats the record breaking saints would have the entire team on first team right? STATS DON’T LIE!!!!!

• Robert K

Congratulations to all of these deserving ladys, Chloe is such a hard worker, with a very supportive family. I am sure looking forward to watching her in the future at the college level, Bree will be the new leader of the Bearcats, she seems to never be fazed by anything. She has great instincts and talent.

• Fred wrong line of work lol

Infield: Courtney Gano, Los Altos, Jr.

Fred good thing you’re not a coach! but a politician you are.

FredJ said:
    I pick the teams with recommendations from coaches and our staff, but I never defend selections or debate them on the threads, it doesn’t serve a purpose. For each player selected, you can make a great argument for someone else, so no use going back and forth. I will say when I look at stats, I try to keep in mind what kind of schedules and leagues they’re doing it against. For example, in my opinion, batting .400 in the Sierra League is probably more impressive than doing the same in the Montview, Valle Vista or Mission Valley League’s.

• compare it

Okay, compare those three to Stewart, La Rosa and Avalos, who all hit for better average and power that the three you just mentioned, and in Stewart and Avalos’ case, they were on teams that won league or advanced far in CIF. La Rosa is just a freak, she’s automatic no matter what.

• SH fan

Congratulations to Scott Fisch, Britney and Kristen. Go South Hills!!!!!

• Joe

Not all the stats are true. For instance SH coach Fisch doesn’t have the updated stats for his team. They are missing like 10 games. Some of these coaches doesn’t update their stats and it’s a little unfair to the ones that are doing it right.

• WOW!

Garey, Pomona, Baldwin park, Nogales, Walnut and Rowland your kidding right? weak pitching = inflated stats there is no comparison. South Hills never entered their CIF games and San Dimas stats are as fake as can be admittedly by their own parents. Give me a break pac10 player(Gano)who can play any where on the field better then most including catcher only makes 2nd team fkn joke. Remember Gano hit lead off so they wouldn’t pitch around her 16 stolen bases of course her rbis will be less. Her(Gano)hitting .458 in the Mira Monte is like a 1000 in the valle vista with all the rec ball pitching.

• shfan

I heard that the coach from South Hills wasn’t putting stats on Maxpreps because of the parents complaining about stats.

• softball parent

c’mon,Fred dont tell me you are not influenced by coaches and or parents. Be reallistic here a hitter is a hitter no matter where she plays Montview, Valle Vista, Mission etc. I do not take anything away from players chosen, they all deserve it. However I do take exception to your excuses. You back peddle. Last 2 years you were heart up over Sierra Vista and Los Altos, explain that. You just bashed the Montview leauge…..

• sgv softball dad

Hey Stats,
    Face it San Dimas and the whole Valle Vista league is a joke. Play some real teams and beat them and then we will talk.

• http://idonthaveawebsite222.com Hana Maker

Beautiful blog with nice informational content. This is a really interesting and informative post. Good job! keep it up, hope to read your other updates. Thanks for this nice sharing.

• http://hubpages.com/hub/Garmin-Approach-G5 Shirly Bramuchi

• http://srthjrjsry.com Ellsworth Cryderman

Fantastic story. Will need a decent amount of time to entertain your points!!

• http://www.prlog.org/11013605-meladerm-cream-meladerm-skin-lightening-cream.html meladerm

This is probably one of the best mentions of this topic I’ve seen in quite a while. It’s obvious that your knowledge of the subject is deep and this made for a very interesting read.

• http://googtrter.com Lenore Kwiat

You completed several fine points there. I did a search on the matter and found nearly all folks will have the same opinion with your blog.

• http://www.itunesgiftcards.org iTunes Gift Card

USA iTunes Gift Card – Your solution to buy in Apple USA iTunes Store http://www.iTunesgiftcards.org

• http://www.watchonlinemoviesite.com watch free movies online

Are you insterested in link exchange. I found it on yahoo

• http://getmoreviews.net/ buy youtube views

In fact, ahead of you begin generating your video, commence thinking about selling it.Market your self as oftentimes as you can. Preferably, do new issues to get much more YouTube views each day.

• http://getmoreviews.net/ buy youtube views ratings

If you have a video that has a very high view total, make a sequel to the original. This will garner a great deal of brand new views for the unique video too.

• http://grayhatworld.com/grayhatworld/thread-225.html myebot

I like when you talk about this type of stuff in your posts. Perhaps could you continue this?

• http://www.mediumlayeredhairstyles.com/hair-styles-for-medium-length-hair-2/ hair styles for medium length hair 2

It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.

• http://www.cheapchanelshops.com chanel handbags

Adore the l ist, believe that you were spot on with th is one. Good task and ca notwait for a further year of Brand new.

• http://www.feedage.com/feeds/10984740/greenies-treats-for-dogs-monster-treat-pak-27-regular-27-oz Secrets to Dog Training reviews

Another tremendous element is the free consultations provided by the group at Secrets to Dog Training whenever you buy the course. Just broadcast the team an e-mail and they will provide you with a particular person answer for your special Dog conduct problem. Of course you’ll acquire a response full of sensible techniques and expert advice.

• http://www.store4software.com/windows-7 windows 7 sale

That you are utterly correct on that!

• http://www.rosetta-stone-shops.com Rosetta stone espanol

I am getting a little bit difficulty I cannot appear to become able to subscribe your feed, I am working with google reader by the way.

• http://www.cheap-rosetta-stone.com rosetta stone language

Nickelodeon is my no. 1, it is basically coming to lifestyle beautifully on screen also.Thanks Armin and co. for years really worth of pleasurable studying.

• Pingback: Homepage

• Pingback: SBI Website

• Pingback: curso de aerografia

• Pingback: real estate oakville

• Pingback: take a look at truth about six pack abs

• Pingback: Computer Repair Kerrville

• Pingback: Useful Site

• Pingback: slots

• Pingback: Uitstapjes

• Pingback: Visita mi blog

• Pingback: We can show you how to get a loan with bad credit if you want

• Pingback: freelance web designer

• Pingback: Ingrid

• Pingback: Visit OkAnyWay

• Pingback: Get More Information

• Pingback: chambres d'hôtes de charme

• Pingback: Week-end en amoureux avec Jacuzzi

• Pingback: depannage sfa

• Pingback: Facelift Scottsdale

• Pingback: click here

• Pingback: Trabalho em casa

• Pingback: heren ondergoed

• Pingback: Private Jet Charter Dallas

• Pingback: check over here

• Pingback: click for more

• Pingback: guide to bleach episodes

• Pingback: click for source

• Pingback: plastic surgeon vancouver wa

• Pingback: التجميع والتصريف

• Pingback: How To Grow Taller

• Pingback: click here for more

• Pingback: low libido

• Pingback: you can try these out

• Pingback: where can u buy green coffee bean extract

• Pingback: read this article

• Pingback: taxi maiorca

• Pingback: repeat

• Pingback: give them a chance

• Pingback: cheap nike shox