Bonita Smudges San Dimas … Again

By Brian Baiotto, Correspondent
The high school sports season has just started, but Bonita already has two significant victories over crosstown rival San Dimas. The Bearcats dominated the CIF-Southern Section Mid-Valley Division champion Saints, 41-20, in the first week of football season, and the Bonita girls volleyball team defeated visiting San Dimas 25-10, 25-10, 25-27, 25-8 in front of a raucous crowd Tuesday.

Katie Kirby led the Bearcats with 24 kills, seven digs and four aces while Victoria Dennis had 11 kills and six blocks.

San Dimas (0-1) was paced by Yamani Wallace’s three kills and six blocks and Nicole Ellis had three kills for a Saints team that struggled to match Bonita’s athleticism and size.

“The bottom line is that Bonita just wanted it more,” San Dimas coach Paul Kim said. “They got outstanding play from their outside hitters and didn’t make a lot of mistakes for us to capitalize on. We really needed to pass better and we didn’t do that tonight.”

Ashley Maxfeldt had 40 assists and Rebecca Aguilera had nine digs for Bonita.

“I was real happy with the way we played tonight, because we have a lot of returning talent and they’ve all come back on a mission,” Bonita coach Adriana Contreras said. “We came up a little short last year and we have a lot to fight for.”

Bonita gave many of its role players some time to get valuable experience in the game three loss (25-27), but the letdown didn’t last long.

The Bearcats led 9-6 in the fourth and decisive game and then went on a 16-2 run.

“Everybody played well tonight, but I was especially pleased with my middles (Victoria Dennis and Briana Kennedy),” Contreras said. “We’re always excited to beat our rivals in anything we compete against them and we have a lot of respect for them because they always give us their best shot.”