Rivera likely out for Arroyo against Hart

Arroyo junior Steven Rivera, one of the area’s top high school quarterbacks, sprained an ankle in the first quarter of the Knights’ 12-8 victory over Montebello and is questionable for Friday’s showdown against perennial power Hart. Back-up Eddie Federico took over for Rivera and led a dramatic fourth-quarter comeback, rallying the Knights from 8-0 down with two touchdown passes in the final four minutes to help them remain undefeated.

Hart improved to 2-1 after a 27-10 victory over Burroughs and was the nonleague opponent against which Knights coach Jim Singiser wanted to measure his team.
Rivera’s initial X-rays were negative, but he’s having more X-rays this week to determine the severity of his injury now that the swelling has diminished.

“If (Rivera) catches lighting in a bottle and heals up, who knows? But right now, it appears we’re throwing Eddie into the deep end of the pool,” Singiser said. “His first high school start could come against Hart. Hopefully, we can run the ball (behind Mikey Vasquez) and take some of the pressure off him.

“But give Eddie some credit. As good as Steven is – and we know how important he is to our team – even (Rivera) never led us back with two touchdowns late in the fourth quarter like that.”

With a bye next week followed by a nonleague game against La Canada in two weeks, the Knights could play it cautious and sit Rivera, regardless of his condition.

“We’re not rushing
him back, I can tell you that,” Singiser said. “The most important thing is that he’s ready for league.”