Tribune Super Rankings:
1. Bishop Amat (3-0) — You need to step back and realize how impressive this is. They lose Davis Cazares, Daniel Kane, Darien Johnson and now Austin Lacy on defense. They lose Jerry McClanahan and Jay Anderson on offense, yet these guys keep winning and winning. Amat honks better sit back and enjoy.
2. Glendora (3-0) — If they beat West Covina this week, they’re hands down, without a doubt No. 2 in the area until/unless Bishop Amat gets knocked off.
3. Charter Oak (2-1) — Even when they lost to Glendora I thought their offense had the potential to be better than the back-to-back champs’ offense. Come playoff time, the Chargers could be the Valley’s best chance for Inland advancement. I didn’t say title, I said advancement (in the playoffs).
4. Chino Hills (2-1) — You measure a team by how they perform in the big games, and beating Tesoro was certainly a big step forward.
5. Rowland (3-0) — What strikes me so far isn’t that Rowland’s offense is moving so fluidly behind QB Michael Ball, it’s the Raiders’ defense. Since the first half of Baldwin Park, the Raiders’ defense has been nails.
6. Bonita (3-0) — The feel good story of the year so far. Tip your hap to coach Eric Podley and the gang. Without their starting QB they beat San Dimas, Claremont and Santa Fe.
7. West Covina (2-1) — The Bulldogs have the best running game in the Valley and a defense that compliments it. There is only one test left, can they handle a high-flying pass-oriented team? That comes Friday against Glendora.
8. South Hills (1-1) — Got worked over good by West Covina, but don’t count them out by any stretch. Let’s see how they react on the road at Tesoro.
9. Damien (2-0) — After 35-0 win over Chaffey, Spartans back in top ten where they belong. They can really fly up the board with a win at Bishop Amat next.
10. Azusa (3-0) — The Aztecs are rising so quick in popularity they were on the Fred Roggin show over the weekend during the high school spotlight. They’re the true Boise State in these parts.
The rest: 11. Ayala (3-0), 12. Claremont (2-1). 13. Arroyo (3-0), 14. Covina (3-0), 15. Diamond Bar (3-0), 16. San Dimas (1-2), 17. Walnut (1-1), 18. Pomona (3-0), 19. La Puente (2-0), 20. Diamond Ranch (0-3), 21. Baldwin Park (0-3), 22. Rosemead (1-1), 23. Wilson (1-1), 24. Sierra Vista (2-0), 25. South El Monte (1-1), 26. Gladstone (0-2), 27. Northview (0-2), 28. Nogales (0-3), 29. Los Altos (0-3), 30. El Monte (0-2), 31. Ganesha (1-1), 32. Workman (1-1), 33. Bassett (1-2), 34. Mountain View (1-1), 35. Duarte (0-2).