Travis Santiago’s injury status not clear, but what is clear is the SGV finally gets to watch Josiah Thropay at quarterback, where he wanted to be all along after stints at Monrovia, Bishop Amat

A lot is still up in the air about the quarterback situation at Charter Oak High School. But one thing that’s for certain is senior Josiah Thropay will be under center for the Chargers on Friday night against Santa Fe. That’s because normal starter Travis Santiago is sidelined with an ankle injury that nobody quite knows the extent of how bad it is. Santiago suffered the injury on the second-to-last play of Friday’s loss to Rancho Cucamonga.

Below: Charter Oak is fortunate. How many teams have a 6-foot-5 back-up as talented as Thropay.

The Chargers’ team doctor thought there was a fracture. The emergency room doctor said there were no breaks, but wasn’t sure if there were any hairline fractures. That leaves Chargers coach Lou Farrar waiting on further tests.

After Santa Fe, the Chargers have a bye week before starting Sierra League play against Ayala, which is currently undefeated.

“I wasn’t planning on having the bye week as the medical week for our quarterback when I made our schedule in December and January,” Farrar said.

“But it turns out that’s exactly what we’ll need to get everybody up to speed and healthy.”

Without a concrete diagnosis, there’s still no timetable for Santiago’s return. The good news is that Thropay got considerable experience at the beginning of last season when he split duties with Santiago.

“I hate to lose him as a receiver, but he obviously know the offense,” Farrar said. “Replacing him at wide receiver is hard. He understands what he has to do.”