Above: Claremont QB Daniel Kessler leads the area with 1,820 yards and 20 touchdowns. He will be put to the test Friday at Charter Oak in the game of the week.
1. Bishop Amat (7-0) – Jalen Moore is running with the confidence that a great Amat back should. The Lancers are old school, combining great defense with a grind-it-out offense. If you’re watching the best part is there is still so much room to improve.
2. West Covina (5-1) – Poor Los Altos, they have to travel to West Covina after the Bulldogs’ bye week.
3. Bonita (6-0) – Whoever put the Bearcats schedule together was brilliant. They should get to 7-0 with a home win against Walnut, them comes the stretch run against Rowland, West Covina and Diamond Ranch.
4. Claremont (5-1) — On paper they have become the Sierra League favorites, that’s what a win over Chino Hills gets you. Now, if RB Taj Teague is healthy and ready to go, this team is downright scary.
5. Charter Oak (4-2) – Let’s see, a 17-0 win over Ayala followed by a 54-7 thrashing over Ayala. If history tells us anything, it’s that the Chargers always get better late in the season. If they continue to play defense, they’re as competitive as anyone in the Inland Division.
6. Chino Hills (4-2) – What happened to the unbeatable Huskies? They get Damien next, if they stumble again, they’re suddenly in a fight for their playoff lives.
7. Glendora (4-2) – The Tartans can score with the best of them, but they’re too easy to score on against the type of competition they have to face week in and week out.
8. Azusa (6-0) – If the Aztecs wanted to score 100 points on Duarte this week, they probably could. This is the one game where a running clock should be considered before the game starts.
9. Covina (6-1) – The Colts are one of a handful of teams with a realistic shot at winning the Mid-Valley Division. They become favorites if they can defeat Baldwin Park and San Dimas in the coming weeks.
10. Damien (4-2) – Truth is, the Spartans’ only two losses came against Pac-5 Teams. And they have wins over Diamond Ranch and South Hills. Don’t count coach Greg Gano out just yet.
The Rest: 11. Diamond Ranch (4-3), 12. Rowland (4-3), 13. Arroyo (5-1), 14. Ayala (4-2), 15. Baldwin Park (2-4), 16. San Dimas (4-3), 17. Rosemead (4-2), 18. Walnut (3-3), 19. South Hills (1-5), 20. Sierra Vista (5-1), 21. Diamond Bar (4-3), 22. La Puente (4-2), 23. Northview (2-4), 24. Wilson (3-3), 25. Pomona (3-4), 26. Ganesha (3-3), 27. Mountain View (3-3), 28. Gladstone (2-3), 29. El Monte (2-4), 30. Nogales (1-5), 31. South El Monte (1-5), 32. Los Altos (0-6), 33. Bassett (2-4), 34. Workman (1-5), 35. Duarte (0-5)